Monday, September 27, 2010

365 Days of Blessings - Day 121

365 Days of Blessings, Day 121

1. The Lord is always there for me, or actually "here" for me. God is always my refuge.

2. At this very moment, at my house, a 20 minute drive from where I'm currently sitting, a gentleman from our church who happens to be a construction contractor is tearing apart the remnants of our upstairs bathroom, and preparing it to be attacked by the plumber tomorrow.

3. Even with a bit of extra company this morning, we managed to get to our homeschool cooperative ten minutes early . . . which gave me enough time to realize that I didn't have everything as together as I thought I did . . . and then fix it.

4. My Writing Class of 9-11 year olds. I'm not sure if I'm teaching them well, but they are writing really well. Plus, they are sweet, and fun, and full of stories.

5. Despite being somewhat painfully shy, all of my writing class students have been sharing their work out loud in class, and complimenting one another. Yes!!! We'll work on constructive criticism in second semester. For now, reading something we've written out loud, and giving positive feedback is our main focus . . . well, after writing, writing, and more writing.

6. My Shakespeare class has some wit.

7. Romeo, in the movie version we're watching, looks like Zach Ephron . . . never noticed it before today. However, the girls think that the actor playing Tybalt is cuter. :-) They are reminding me of what it means to be 13 and 14.

8. Knowing that my expectations of myself as a teacher are probably higher than my students' expectations. Somehow I think I'm going to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and lead them into writing with passion and zeal their whole lives long, or into becoming avid Shakespeare lovers . . . depending on which class I'm in at the time.

9. Random compliments make my day. Thank you once-met stranger, for stating that my sweater looks cozy.

10. Time to take a moment and reflect . . . without taking too many notes or writing out the next lesson plan just yet.

Scripture Blessings:
"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. As the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.'" Matthew 9:36-38

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It must be fun to read stories from little kids. Looking back on some of my writing from when I was younger... I both cringe (because I'm way better now) and smile (because it's so cute!)

Angie said...

How fun to teach writing and Shakespeare! It sounds to me like you are a terrific teacher if you've got them all reading aloud. That's awesome. And I love Shakespeare. I'll bet you'll instill that in your students too.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Melissa - I know exactly what you mean. I brought out a story I had written in 6th grade that had earned me many compliments from my teacher, and read it aloud to my own kids. We laughed until we cried. The Pencil's Adventure will never see print, but . . . I keep it for the reminder of those early, earnest days when I first wanted to be a "real" writer.
I think my students have more talent than I did, and they are just as excited . . . so I hope to see them all in print someday.

Angie - Thanks! I am having lots of fun!