Saturday, October 9, 2010
Blessed Blog Award and Double Blessings
It's Blessed Blog Award Time! I wish I could keep to my once a week schedule with these, but they've been a bit more sporadic because it is so hard to choose . . .there are so many awesome blogs that I am thankful for each week.
This time, the Blessed Blog Award goes to Melissa at Through the Looking Glass for inspiring me to write really good characters, and sharing her insightfulness with humor and well-crafted posts! Thanks for being a blessing, Melissa!
Double Blessings, for Days 132 and 133
I'm focusing on three categories of blessings today that I'm thankful for: people, animals(zoo) and random. Is random a category? Well, it suits me.
1. My husband is an everyday hero with a cakeface beard, so heroes can have beards.
2. My daughter Anna's quirky humor and big smile.
3. My daughter Trisha's everyday singing. We actually burst into song in our household randomly, and I love to hear her sing. Yesterday, her song was "I have a bed, I love my bed . . . and I don't remember all the words, but it was a fun, silly, night-time song.
4. My mom's ability to draw people into conversation.
5. My dad's smile at the zoo yesterday . . . he's still a kid at heart.
6. The zookeeper yesterday who gave the Asia talk about the tigers. Very knowledgeable, funny, and passionate about his work.
7. The Grandad, with his two grandkids at the zoo, who stopped to tell us about his experience seeing a Kiwi in the wild, when he was younger.
8. The zoo volunteer yesterday who has dedicated his retirement to volunteering with the Red Wolves. He has supported the Red Wolf program since it started in the 70's.
9. Tiger cubs cuddling with momma tigress.
10. Papa tiger's bond with the zoo keeper. He watched his every move with devotion, and it wasn't a hungry devotion, but a devotion that I've only seen in dogs or cats for their human friends. (Backstory: Zookeeper has worked with the tiger for a while, and the tiger has cancer.)
11. Clouded leopard cubs sleeping on the thin limbs of their tree house.
12. Seeing the "poster child" for red wolves - a male wolf that has been photographed many, many times for the benefit of his species. Red Wolves were declared extinct in the wild in the 70's, and Pt. Defiance Zoo started a breeding and release program. Today, around 200 red wolves live in captivity, and around 100 have been successfully released into the wild.
14. Pygmy owls.
16. The thrumming purr of my cat, as she sits just out of reach from where I sit.
17. Chipmunks, scurrying about their fall business.
18. Baked potatoes.
19. The highway exit sign for Ikea, labeling it as a tourist destination. It makes me laugh every time.
20. God's infinite creativity.
"And God said, 'Let the water teem with living creatures and let bird fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky.' So God created the great creaturss of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kidns and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:20-21