Monday, April 2, 2012


Theme: Creativity Toolbox
B = Be Bold
Boldness isn’t something comes naturally to me. Yet, I think some of our most creative endeavors come from experiences we’ve had, and we can’t have experiences without being a little bold.

My worst fear is open water. It’s very specific. I can wade, sail, boogie board, swim by the shore, and I’m ok.
However, getting off a boat that’s offshore and getting into open water is scary stuff for me. My imagination goes nuts, and I don’t want to feel, see, or think about what might be in the water with me. When I was younger and first learning to waterski, I tried to claw my way out of the water, hyperventilating in panic. It happened more than once, and even happened once after I had been waterskiing for a few years . . . I thought I saw something in the water, and basically made myself crash in panic.
However, last year in April my family and I snorkeled in Hawaii with manta rays, sharks, and green sea turtles. Those experiences were awesome, amazing, and for me – downright bold. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the sensation of jumping into the water, snorkel gear on, and just letting my fear go and my curiosity take over. Those memories stir my imagination.
What do you think? Does it take boldness to be creative? Do you have any brave or bold moments that have sparked creative endeavors?

Here’s a short video clip of the manta ray snorkel (same as I've shown before):




BE BOLD WRITING EXERCISE:
Go out and try something new, and write about it. Or, think of a bold experience you've had and write about it.

29 comments:

Heather M. Gardner said...

That's wonderful! I don't blame you. Our imaginations can be so much worse than reality.
Great post.
Heather

Nicole McLaughlin said...

Oh gosh, i can relate to this. I haven't water ski'd in forever, but I can remember being about 12 and sitting in the lake all alone after going down waiting for the boat to come and pick me up. Why did it always feel like they didn't come back for like 30 minutes!??!! haha. I felt like they were miles away and I was all alone! :)

Lindi said...

I like being on open water on a cruise ship! :) That's about it for my adventurous spirit.

I think we are boldest when we write our first draft. T think it all spills out there--then we have to watch our inner editor and critique partners to make sure the good 'bold' stays and the not-so-good 'bold' goes.

Nice post.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Heather - Thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Nicole - glad I'm not the only one. It does always seem like forever when I'm stuck sitting in the water, holding my water ski up and hoping another boat doesn't run me over.

Lindi - I agree - writing a first draft is a bold, grand adventurous undertaking.

Hektor Karl said...

I think boldness definitely helps creativity, so long as it's balanced by things like dedication, perseverance and some of those less fun words. :)

Amelia said...

Hi! Yes! You need to be bold for creativity to emerge. It's not an easy step to take but once the difficult step is taken, the rewards are so worth it :)

Cat Lavoie said...

That video is awesome!
I don't think I'm a very bold person in general but I agree with Lindi -- writing a first draft is a very bold move!

Stephsco said...

I definitely get the open water thing. Going on a cruise was a bit daunting for me, I couldn't walk closer than an arm's length to the balcony of the ship or I'd get dizzy. Seriously! But I've also been snorkeling in beautiful waters in the gulf and in caves in mexico, so I try to learn to adapt. You're right, you have to step out and be bold to experience life.

good luck with the A to Z challenge!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Does that mean you are now boldly ready to go again?

Angela Brown said...

Being bold can be very freeing. You release yourself from the fear holding your back and can stretch more, reach more, do more.

Unknown said...

Kudos to you, Tyrean... you are definitely a very bold person.... in that you dare to challenge yourself and you fears!!! Excellent post!

Tracy said...

Great question...I'm wondering though if boldness is more related to allowing yourself to be vulnerable then with boldness. I'm not bold at all, not in the least...but I do feel creative~ interesting thoughts though and a great post!

Luanne G. Smith said...

I do think writers need a bold streak. You have to have something to say to be a writer, and if it makes a few waves, all the better sometimes.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Hektor - I agree. I don't think boldness takes care of everything, but I think it's an important piece.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Amelia - The rewards are definitely worth it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks! Writing first drafts is definitely a bold move!

Tyrean Martinson said...

It's worth it. The manta ray snorkel was one of the top ten experiences in my life!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes!!! I would love to go snorkeling again - especially with the Kona Manta Rays! I just don't live near any warm water.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Exactly!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks Patricia!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Interesting thought. Thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I like how you put that! I agree.

Alleged Author said...

Open water kind of freaks me out a little bit as well. But I think it's even more what's underneath the water that frightens me!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I found that snorkeling really helped. When I was able to see the fish in the water and know for certain that they were not interested in me, it calmed me down.

Mina Lobo said...

I do agree that it takes a certain amount of courage for writers (or any creative types) to create...it takes another kind of chutzpah to show your stuff to the world! :-)

Some Dark Romantic

Rob and Lisa said...

I've always been afraid of open water. Interesting topic for the challenge.

Lisa
http://livethemoment09.blogspot.com

Bishop Leo Michael said...

Admire your courage. Can't tell you my fears about open water - I know the lifegiving one though - that takes all fears away. Great footage and nice blog!

Anonymous said...

Boldness is not my strongest attribute--but with age I am getting bolder...