Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A to Z Challenge: D


Theme: Creativity Toolbox

D = Dance

Writing is a dance of language.” – Ivan Doig

Dance sets you free, gives shape and definition to a moment of music or silence, and focuses your mind rhythm and movement, the shape of space in a room, the feel of air cupped on your fingers, and the steady floor beneath your feet.

Have you ever danced with your words?

One of the reasons I love the quote, “Writing is a dance of language,” is that it brings up imagery in my mind of a writer dancing with words like a ballroom dancer perfectly partnered. I’m not sure my writing has ever achieved that, but I like to dream of a day when it might.

Insecure Writer's Support Group hosted by Ninja Captain Alex

Sticking with my theme, and trying to keep this all short, I have just a bit of advice to give for anyone who is struggling with their writing. Dance with your words today. Enjoy it!


Sensational Haiku Wednesday hosted by You Know That Blog?

The theme this week was open. This group of haiku was inspired by a young dancer my family knows who lost her ability to dance in an accident. She had to undergo physical therapy to regain basic movement and is beginning to be active in life again.

accidents happen
long held plans, glorious dreams
lost in a moment





she leaps only inside
floats across stages in dreams
swept away by pain


balance eludes her
yet she holds herself straight, poised
in the wings of life


the curtain rises
she lifts her chin, raises her
voice and sings out proud


So, please, dance today. Dance out loud. Dance in your head. Dance to loud music. Dance to silence. Dance with your words.

14 comments:

Tea said...

I luv that quote.

AngBreidenbach said...

Lovely fellow A-Z blogger :) I enjoyed your post.

Brianna said...

Awesome quote! Definitely a keeper :)

Tracy said...

reminds me of that song, 'I hope you dance...' I can't remember who it's by but I really like that. you've written about a great topic but I am no dancer; I've got two left backward feet :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I literally start dancing, someone might get hurt!

Carol Riggs said...

Oh, I love dancing AND writing, and think they go perfectly together! I love the idea of dancing with words. :) Words have their own rhythm and sound, their own music. So it's very appropriate.

Nicole said...

I really enjoyed your opening quote, and I hope that I "dance" with words ofen. :) I always strive to.

Angela said...

How very inspirational!

Nikki said...

I've been dancing in my room :) These haikus were so good! I love haikus :) Great post!

Nikki – inspire nordic

Golden Eagle said...

I had a dance class earlier today, so I already have. :)

Love your D post!

Janna said...

Great haikus, so inspiring.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Tea, Angela and Brianna - Thanks!

Tracy and Alex - just clear a space, and dance anyway!

Carol and Nicole - Enjoy dancing with your words today! Thanks for stopping by.

Angela - Thanks!

Nikki - Glad you danced today! Thanks for stopping by.

Golden Eagle - Great!

Janna - Thank you!

baygirl32 said...

Love that quote!

happy A to Z
baygirl32.blogspot.com

Heather M. Gardner said...

OK. But its a good thing I'm alone!
Heather