Friday, April 20, 2012

A to Z Challenge: A hint of Random

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, every writer, creative thinker, and artists needs organization, needs margin, and needs to be awakened to the amazing, audacious world around them. We need to ask questions, and we need faithfulness, hope, and endurance.

We also need that hint of Randomness. Somwhere in the midst of our everyday, passionate, faithful, creative work, we need a hint of random.

Yesterday I had a post planned . . .this isn't it. It's a moment of randomness unexpected. Why?

Because I had a surprise project yesterday - one that I didn't expect to get involved in at all. One that opened up my creative horizons in a new way.

My husband, an engineer by heart and by profession, is also a video editor and producer for our church, and for three different dance studios.

A friend of ours, an amazing, creative dance director wanted to create an artistic video highlighting the extraordinary in the ordinary of movement, showcasing how all movement is dance, and dance is all movement.

My husband agreed to take on the project, but when presented with hours of video clips, and several selections of music, he felt overwhelmed by the openess of the vision, especially since the video was expected to be fairly short.

So last night I stayed up late and  helped him make connections between over forty slices of video, and two selections of music. Three hours of passionate work gave us 3 and a half minutes of video with music.

The amazing part of this random, unexpected moment is I feel refreshed, renewed, and excited about not only this randomly new project, but for my writing as well . . .

A hint of random can be refreshing.

Creative Toolbox Exercise: Do something new and random today!

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cool you got to create something together! Working together as a couple is always special.

Unknown said...

Creativity comes in all shapes and forms - what a lovely project, but so much work! This Random post was excellent

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - I agree! It's one of my hopes that "someday" my hubby and I will collaborate on more creative video endeavors . . . maybe for our church or something. Who knows, maybe we'll enter into the local indie film festival someday . . .

Susan - Definitely a lot of work, but fun work. Thanks!

Luana Krause said...

Great word. I think it's my middle name. I'm always coming up with random thoughts and random ideas.

BTW: How cool to work on a creative project with your hubby. I'm a videographer/filmmaker, too. So much fun.

Heather Murphy said...

That sounds like such a fun project! Life would be boring without a little randomness

Tara Tyler said...

i have a great appreciation for all forms of editing. film is similar to writing with all the cutting & pasting, keeping only the best parts!

Kate OMara said...

Love the randomness of life
# 214 following
Kate
A to Z http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

J.L. Campbell said...

Your adventure in creativity reminds me just how many hours go into producing one book or movie.