Sunday, April 1, 2012

A to Z Challenge: Awaken to the Awesome, Astonishing, Audacious and Absurd

A to Z Challenge
Theme: Creativity Toolbox
A: Awaken to the Awesome, Astonishing, Amazing, Audacious and Absurd

To be creative, I think we need to awaken to the awesome, astonishing, amazing, sometimes audacious and absurd world around us.

Ever take a moment to just sit, listen, look, smell, feel, and taste the moment?

 Ever heard a conversation that just struck you as astonishing, amazing, audacious, or absurd?

Recently, I overheard a family discussing their annual mystery meat dinners. They’ve actually eaten python, kangaroo, alligator and other strange meats. Caught listening in, I had the opportunity to ask just where they found these exotic foods. I might have missed that moment if I hadn’t adopted a determination to be awake to the world around me. I admit I was appalled by some of the mystery meat, but the conversation gave me a creative spark. 

Are you awake to the awesomeness, absurdity, or audaciousness of the world around you?

Three Banded Armadillo -  awesome creatures. They look absurd, but they really are amazing. And no, I wouldn't eat one.

Awaken to the Awesomeness, absurdity and audaciousness Writing Exercise: Listen in on a conversation and write about it or take notice of something awesome, absurd, or audacious in the world and write about it.  Have fun!

Scripture Verse for Awesomeness: "How awesome is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth." Psalm 47:2

19 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Being awake to conversations and activities around me have led to some of my best essays.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Mary - conversations are great fodder for the imagination, and for the informative . . .thanks for stopping by my blog!

Nikki said...

Hey! I'm visiting you from the A - Z challenge. This was a great post! I've eaten Reindeer and Moose - not so strange as armadillo, kangaroo or python, but as an ex-vegetarian I'm still proud of myself :)

Nice idea for a writing exercise too! You have a great blog and it's lovely to meet you!

Nikki – inspire nordic

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks Nikki! I've never eaten anything strange in the meat departement, but I have eaten a few odd flour type things due to allergies.
Nice to meet you too!!!!

Cat Lavoie said...

Great post! Love the story about the mystery meats! I often try to listen to conversations while riding the bus or subway to work... but I've never heard anything as interesting as that. Nice to meet you. I'm glad I discovered your blog! :)

Precy Larkins said...

Yikes! Mystery meats. I just had a recent conversation with a writer friend, and we were comparing notes on the weird foods we've tried (or almost tried) in our lifetime, such as goat brains, dog meat, chicken intestines...

Yeah, not for the faint of heart. :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Mystery meat sounds scary. With my luck, it would be spam that day.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Nice to meet you too!!! I haven't heard that many conversations that struck me quite like the mystery meat conversation either.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Tyrean Martinson said...

LOL! That's what I think too.

Rusty Carl said...

Great advice. If I heard a family discussing mystery meat I'd be pretty interested too. Those folks are crazy.

Karen Lange said...

What excellent "A" choices!

boysmum2 said...

Great start for A to Z, I love listening to conversations you definitely learn weird and wonderful things

Shannon Lawrence said...

In the last few years I've tried rattlesnake, alligator and antelope. Those were all new to me! Interesting experience. My grandfather grew up in Oklahoma during the dustbowl era, and rattlesnake was one of his specialties, along with rabbit and squirrel. You ate what you had to eat during the dustbowl! I didn't have as good an excuse...just curiosity and opportunity.

Aside from that, I'm your co-host for the A-to-Z! If you didn't get an email from me the other day, it may have gone in your spam box. Please feel free to contact me via my profile or reply to that email if you need anything or have any questions.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

How awesome is our God indeed!
I love your post and the Armadillo is so cute!

Tyrean Martinson said...

agreed . . .it was the oddest conversation I've ever heard.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks! Conversations are really interesting.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wow Shannon! You are way more adventurous with food than I am! I have to admit I am curious about snake meat, and possibly alligator or anteloope. But some of the others this family mentioned I would have to be seriously hungry to contemplate like kangaroo.
Nice to meet you and I'll check my e-mail inbox again.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Lynda - Amen! And Thanks! Our "local" zoo has a three banded armadillo named Scooter that they take out for public events. Scooter likes to eat shoes and shoelaces, so his handlers have to chase him around - and it makes things rather fun to see him out and about in the grass.