Friday, April 22, 2011

S is for sourpuss? or Sunshine, Sand, and 365 Days of Blessings, Day 326

S is for Sourpuss, Sunshine, and Sand, plus 365 Days of Blessings, Day 326
I’m back to “original-moment” posts, not previously written while in flight. I realized this morning that posting blessing posts early may defeat the purpose in counting blessings each day, because last night and this morning I had a hard time being thankful . . . which is crazy, because I’m in Hawaii, and it is amazing.

Am I being a sourpuss?

Our Manta Ray dive was so awesome that anything we did next would not be up to that same level of exhilarated excitement. I knew that. And yet, although yesterday morning was great, with a rock clambering hike to the river by Boiling Pots waterfalls on Big Island, I had some tough moments yesterday.

After three days of successfully navigating our way around the Big Island, I couldn’t figure out where we were on the map compared to the airport. We worried about not being early enough only to hurry, arrive, and find that the plane we would board wasn’t there yet. A fire alarm went off in the airport while my daughters were in the bathroom, and they screamed and nearly panicked until we found out it was a test.

The island hopping plan flight was great, easy, no worries, and my husband and I chatted. I wrote in my journal, and we were excited about starting the next part of our journey. When we went to get our rental car, my daughters and I were given flowers to put in our hair by the rental car bus driver. Geannie, our Dollar rental bus driver, was amazingly sweet, and the Dollar rental car place was really nice. We were off to a good start in the afternoon on O’ahu. We drove to our hotel with no problem, and our jaws nearly dropped at where we are staying.

My husband accepted a sales call over a year ago. It was one that I would have ignored, but he chatted with the sales lady, and landed us in the most expensive, fancy hotel we’ve ever stayed in, for about the price of a “normal” hotel. Let’s just say this place has been visited by actors, singers, a few Presidents, and my husband thought he saw a famous basketball player last night. It has at least three pools, a protected saltwater lagoon, and beach access. There are at least five buildings. The furnishings and décor are far more elegant than what I have in my own home. Far more elegant. So, what’s the catch to all this?

We have to go to a Vacation Club Rental Sales meeting for two hours tomorrow.

And why am I not finding thankfulness here?
Because I feel like I don’t fit. I found out on a trip we took a few years ago that I can love elegant hotels with big swimming pools and water slides, but this one is so fancy I feel like I’ve been dropped off on a different planet. Plus, it’s in the middle of downtown Waikiki.

I find myself looking to the mountains beyond the city and wondering if there is a place there. And wondering what it looks like outside the city. I am surrounded by tourists, and not every day kinds of tourists, but limo-riding, Yves St. Laurent, Tiffany’s type tourists.

What is a “regular” girl like me doing in a place like this?

I like semi-elegant hotels with in-room kitchens, or “mom-and-pop” run hotels with in-room kitchens with casual furnishings, and decent beds that I can sleep in. I’m even content with a Motel 8 with a refrigerator and a microwave for a few days, as long as the ice machine across the hall doesn’t make noise all night. I’ve slept in cabins with mice, and tents with mosquitoes, and found wonder and beauty in those settings.

So, am I being a Sourpuss?

Yes, and I know that I have no reason to be one. I have been undeservedly, immeasurably blessed.

It is unlikely that we will ever stay in a place this elegantly appointed again, so I need to run my feet over the hardwood floor, swim in all three pools, the lagoon, and the ocean with the white sandy beach, plus make some great meals in a kitchen with all the extras, let my kids play games on the game player in our room, and soak in the sunshine. We need to do all the complimentary activities like lei-making, and hula lessons, then go to the Rockin’ Hawaiian show (also complimentary), and possibly take in the hotel luau at a discounted price that came with the hotel package. Then we need to drive all over the island with our rental car (also came with this hotel package). Then I can sleep again in between super soft sheets, with extra pillows on a King sized bed, while my kids sleep in their double beds – they each have their own double bed. So, I’m not dressed in the same, designer clothes as most of the people in this hotel, that doesn’t matter. We are in Hawaii. It's the land of the bikini . . . and I'm happily wearing a one piece.

Sunshine is pouring on our windows with an amazing level of brightness. The sand is just 100 yards away, with blue waves racing to meet us.

I no longer feel like a sourpuss. I feel immeasurably blessed by sunshine, sand, family, and rest. So, thank you for letting me let it all hang loose for a moment and get through my foolish slump.


Blessings:

1.Sunshine

2.Sand

3.Sunscreen

4.Blue waves

5.Warm water

6.Diamond Head on one horizon.

7.The Pacific Ocean on the other horizon

8.Flowers

9.A beautiful kitchen for making our meals.

10.Knowing that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and He is the richest treasure that anyone could ever have, or share.

11.Seeing opportunities to share Christ while on vacation.

12.Overhearing two men talk about the awesomeness of God in a small grocery store.

13.Seeing at least 4 banners inviting us to Easter services.

Scripture Blessings:

“Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.”
Hebrews 13:7-9

2 comments:

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I like your list and I really like this - "A beautiful kitchen for making our meals", so sweet and cute and something that can get overlooked so easily!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl - thanks!