Before I get into the informational review on Kindle Vella, I need to say two things.
Thank you to all who helped me launch Nexus! Your help made my book celebration fun!
I am going to post for IWSG and to help with a friend's book release in November, but I will not be around most of social media due to some health issues and a major medical procedure. I will be back briefly in December, and hopefully at full blogging speed in January.
Liftoff is on sale for 99 cents from today through the weekend after Thanksgiving!
If you haven't started reading the Rayatana series, you can start now. :)
Kindle Vella Review
Please keep these three items in mind:
So, what happened?
What I like about Kindle Vella:
- I can work on a project over time and publish it over time. I know that's not for everyone but I like it.
- It's flexible for short or long projects, fiction, non-fiction, or collections.
- Readers can opt in for three free episodes and decide if they want to take the plunge. When they do take the plunge, it doesn't cost that much, so it can get addictive to keep on clicking through chapters. I've read a few.
- While everyone might not keep reading, I might get them for a handful of chapters, which is more than I might get them for a whole book. It's an easy opt in system.
- While popular with romance readers, the speculative fiction genres of science fiction and fantasy are doing decently.
- It forces me to write cliff-hanger chapter endings, or at least ones that leave the reader with a question or mystery of some small kind.
- A few other authors and I are reading each other's work. We can "help" each other with likes and faves this way, so it builds up more author community. If you have a book on there, let me know!
- A reader can only use one fave a week. I like this because it helps even out some of the "popularity" stuff going on there. I can fave myself, I can fave someone else. I can rotate faves. As a reader, I get to choose one a week, or after a week's worth of reading.
- It's easy to ask people to read the first three episodes for free. I can always hope they stay on for more. :)
- New readers.
- Sales I didn't have before.
What I dislike about Kindle Vella:
- There's definitely a popularity system flavor with the faves.
- Reviews seem few and far between even if I do get likes and faves sometimes.
- It's new so some readers fear it/won't try it.