Wednesday, October 4, 2023

IWSG October 4, 2023: Stardust, not Code Will Win Out

 



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog! Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the October 4 posting of the IWSG are Natalie Aguirre, Kim Lajevardi, Debs Carey, Gwen Gardner, Patricia Josephine, and Rebecca Douglass!



Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!

October 4 question: The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?




Will AI take over creative writing?

Nope.
Why not? 
Honestly (looks both ways here), I decided to try ChatGPT just to see what it would spit out when I entered in various prompts. I've tried short stories, I've tried a blurb for one of my books, and I've asked it questions about philosophy, just to see what it would say. 

One thing I have noticed is that it tends to repeat specific phrases and words, possibly even worse than I do. It writes purple prose with a specific rhythm to the words. While I would say that it's possible for it to learn several styles of writing, it is only putting out one style of writing right now, no matter what you put into it. It also doesn't understand emotional emphasis. 

I do not think it will overcome human creativity. Even if it starts to go that direction, I believe we will see more restrictions put into place in all areas of the arts. I think it will end up being used as a tool and not as a replacement for good storytelling. 

That's my gut feeling, but it's also based on what I've seen. I have read completely AI driven stories by other authors on purpose, just to see what I thought and there is a noticeable difference between AI writing and human writing. 

Again, I will admit I tinkered with it, but for anything it produced, I spent hours revising so it sounded more like me, and less bot-boring.

I hope we can all start to see that difference. If there's no market for it, it will dry up. 
If restrictions are put into place, it will dry up more. 

So, this is what I'm telling myself and all my writing friends: 
Go, write, be creative, be funky, be weird, and explore your humanity. Your writing will shine because of it. We are God-breathed stardust, not merely code. 



News

I was invited to take part in the Creative Colloquy Crawl as one of the family-friendly authors for their MG and YA night, last night. Not many attended the reading, but those of us who did had a good time last night.

I am taking part in two different Bookfunnel promos for October:

 The SciFi and Fantasy MegaSale 

Spellbinding Stories - the Vella October Reads

 
Happy IWSG!





22 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

I haven't played with AI yet. Maybe one day :)
I don't think humans are in danger of being replaced - creativity is unique to each individual which is pretty awesome!

Charity Bradford said...

I'm glad you tried it so now you are an expert in my opinion. :D I thought many of the things you brought up here and it's nice to have it validated. I don't think anything can ever replace the creativity and voice of a live human.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Jemi - unique creativity is awesome! :)

Charity - I agree. We each have a unique voice and I don't think anything can replace that.

Patricia JL said...

I haven't messed with AI much because it just seems like it's adding an extra step to the writing process. Why spend time thinking up prompts for a story when I can just write the story? Maybe it works for some people, but for me, it just feels like it's adding more work.

M.J. Fifield said...

Funky and weird I've got down...the creative writing part still eludes me. :)

My software-developer significant other likes to use Chat GPT for research. He finds it very helpful, but I have no plans to use it for anything.

I'm glad you had a good time at the reading!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

"We are God-breathed stardust, not merely code."

YES! and Amen!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Patricia - exactly. Trying to use it felt like I was working uphill and backwards. It's easier just to write what's on my mind. :)

MJ - I disagree. You've got funky, weird, and creative going! :)

Elizabeth- thanks!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's my thought on letting it produce something - you'll end up wasting time editing it anyway. And researching to be sure it didn't steal from another source.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Debs - I agree. I love writing and I love reading because I get to take a walk in someone else's shoes and everyone is wearing some pretty unique shoes. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

From my own experience, I agree with you that it won't replace writers. I still have to do a lot of editing and writing when I use it for general articles for work.

cleemckenzie said...

You’ve experimented with it, so you’re in the best position to describe what it does. I haven’t done that yet, but I (looks both ways) might have to see what it generates for me. Curious, I guess.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like your attitude about it. I hope you're right.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Hmmm, I wouldn't know how to experiment with it. I never tried. Good to know your thoughts, it puts me at ease about AI.
Happy October!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - yes, using it for anything longer than a blurb is a lot of work.

Natalie - yes, editing is definitely needed. :)

Cathrina - yes, I was curious, too. I felt like I was opening Pandora's box, but it wasn't all that dramatic.

Susan - I hope so, too!

Cathrina - glad to do so, but I do think we need to keep being discerning about it.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

That Crawl sounds fun! Glad you had a good time!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've not experimented so it's nice to know we aren't in immediate danger.

Jen said...

"We are God-breathed stardust, not merely code." I love that!

I agree with you. I feel like there will always be a place for human created art. And I believe it will be possible to tell the difference between the two. If people use AI responsibly, for helping rather than creating everything for them instead of doing the hard work themselves, I can see it becoming a valuable tool. If nothing else, it's a lot of fun! I haven't used it, but I listened to a podcast where the hosts asked it to write scary stories with some prompts and oh MAN it was HILARIOUS what the bot came up with!

Stay hopeful, my Friend!

Denise Covey said...

Hi Tyrean. I think CHAT is using classic books to learn from as I find it spits out stories using third person omniscient POV. I like that, but many don't. Very useful and it will improve.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

This God-breathed stardust likes AI only as a backseat assistant. Writing is too fun to give it up to a computer.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I haven't played with ChatGPT yet, but I've been meaning too. We must know out foes.🤣 I've heard it's good for helping to write a book blurb though. 🤔

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Great post, Tyrean! You make solid points here. Yes, we need to explore our humanity and be ourselves. The quirkier, the better. Have a beautiful day!

ib said...

Tyrean, thanks for sharing. I have not tried it and I am not sure I want to but it may be worth researching more in an attempt to be more informed.