Sunday, October 16, 2022

Resting, Reading in Audio, and Starting a Short Series of Social Media Posts

 

Sea Lions Showing Humans How to Rest

It's dangerous for me to start a new series of posts here live on my blog, literally writing my rough draft in blogger for this post. I've started new series of blog posts like this before, and then let them slide.

But this time, I have a plan, written up in my journal, a word document, and an excel spreadsheet. This will be a short series for 2.5 weeks, followed by another series (pre-planned) with all the posts from blog to social media in a common theme.

It started simple and became a big more complex as I worked through possibilities.

But before I get there, let's go back to the resting and reading parts of this post, which are actually integral to my "plan." 


RESTING

My husband and I recently went on vacation to Carlsbad, CA (not New Mexico), a middle city between San Diego and LA. We drove there and back, taking time to see some of the coastline in California and Oregon. I shared many photos on IG, but I'll share a few here, too.

Highway 101, Big Sur with Marine Air aka Fog (see later picture below for without fog)

Sleeping Tiger Mural in Carlsbad, CA

Beach (near Coronado the day we rode our bikes 20 miles? Not sure)


It was a much-needed rest. 

Santa Barbara - can you tell it was windy and I forgot to take the camera off the "portrait" setting?

Morro Bay - the sea otters were chilling out most of the day


And a much-needed time to fill my creative well.

Coastal Trail along Big Sur Coastline without fog

Oregon Sand Dunes near Florence (hubs in pic)

Heceta Head Lighthouse in Oregon, with more marine fog

Cannon Beach, Oregon (Haystack Rock in the background)


It helped me check-in with how I was doing as an author, a teacher, a volunteer, and with all the "things" I do that keep me busy throughout each day and each week at home. I realized, I had started to over-do again.

I decided I need to take this "rest" and extend it into a vacation kind of mindset for everyday living.


READING IN AUDIO 

Part of the way I rest is through reading, although I didn't do as much of that on the trip as I had intended.

My husband has been wanting to read more, but he doesn't like to read paperback or ebooks because he stares at a screen all day for work, so we have been listening to audio book versions of The False Prince and The Runaway King, part of a series by Jennifer Nielsen for MG to YA readers. I've read those books as library books in the past, so it's been interesting to hear them as audio books. 

I've discovered how rich the author's language is, and how well she uses each word to create a compelling and fun narrative. I think I race past most of those rich-word moments when I'm reading for storyline and plot.

For this reason, I've decided to make one of my reading goals for 2023 to be about reading in audio. This year, I had the goal of reading 25% poetry books and 25% non-fiction and I'm far behind on both, but I have read far more of those genres than I normally do.


STARTING A TWO-WEEK SERIES OF JOINED BLOG AND SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS

Consider this all to be a pre-amble for a new series of blog, newsletter, and social media posts for the next two weeks. I've been discussing courage in some places, and I'll continue to do that, but I'll also be talking about rest and renewal as necessary parts of life, of gaining courage, and as a part of fiction. 

How is rest a part of storytelling in fiction? Well... stick around for the next post here and all those on social media, and you'll see. 

Warning: this is a cliff hanger.




5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looks like a great trip!
My books are on audio but I admit I don't listen to them often.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've been to all three places in Oregon. My best friend got married at the beach by Haystack Rock. (And I took the photos.)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Great pics! I feel more relaxed just looking at those sea lions chilling on the beach. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - it was fun!

Diane - that's so cool!

Madeline - glad to hear it. :)

Patricia JL said...

Morro Bay was where I set my fictional aquarium in my mermaid book. Cool to see a pic of it. =)