Tuesday, November 2, 2010

365 Days of Blessings, Day 157 and Thanksgiving

Many more blessings, and almost too many to count:

1. The Giving Thanks Project, and the very act of Thanks Giving!!! It's more than just a holiday, it's an action, an attitude, and a lifestyle. Let's give thanks!

2. Walking out of my driveway at 6:30 a.m., lit up like a Christmas tree with flashing lights and a safety vest, and looking up through the trees that line our driveway to see the clearest Big Dipper I've seen in years.

3. Dawn's early light. That time of morning, when the sun is just a line of brightness on the horizon, and every star seems to stand out in stark contrast to the blue-black sky.

4. Joy in the morning. Literally. I felt like God just handed me the best present in the world. The stars, the moon, the dawn . . . wow!

5. Orion, and his bow, standing out clearly on the night sky directly in front of us for nearly half of our walk.

6. My mom is good company in the morning when we walk. We talk about our faith, our politics, and our family . . . and how it all rests in God's hands.

7. The freedom and responsibility of voting.

8. My husband's way of tackling problems straight on without holding back, and with open arms to those who have wronged him. He forgives, holds people up to his expectations, and makes peace all at the same time. (Unless he's playing softball . .. that's a whole different ball game)

9. My Dad's willingness to just be present, and to help whenever he's needed. Some mornings we have a chance to talk, and other mornings like this one, he comes to our house, and sits while the girls sleep and my mom and I walk. Then we are all off and running in different directions, and I hope I'll have a better chance to chat with him tomorrow.

10. My father-in-law's birthday was a few days ago, and I am thankful for his life, for his faith, for his love that he gives so generously to his family, his friends, his church, and his community. He is a wonderful man, a really fun Grandpa to tickle, and really good ski instructor.

11. God gives us joy when we seek him, when we give him praise, and take time to open our eyes to the blessings he's given us.

Scripture Blessings:

"Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?'
Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.'"
Matthew 22:34-40

4 comments:

Jill Kemerer said...

When I take the dog out in the morning, it's still dark. I'm enjoying the pretty stars too!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I don't stay up late enough in the summer, and usually it seems we have such cloudy skies in the winter in the Northwest, so usually I miss the stars. This morning, the heavens were truly glorious and visible, and it just filled me with thanks.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the stars too Jill!

Karen Lange said...

Wonderful blessings, and how nice it must be to have your Mother so close by.
Blessings,
Karen :)

Angie said...

Lovely post. What a lot you have to be thankful for. I do to. :)