Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Green Planet Thoughts


A friend of mine has adopted six kids and is considering adopting a seventh. She has eight kids total so far, ranging from four to twenty-one. Regularly, she sends up a cry of distress for orphans all over the world. I read one of her outcries one day, and then I read the news which was filled with concern over global warming.

The two ideas were mixed together in my head, and I wrote a poem. It's about orphans and child soldiers, and our obsession with saving . . . trees.

I'm not against saving trees. I've planted a number of them on Earth Day, and on other days. I've volunteered at animal shelters. I've picked up trash off my street and at public parks. I recycle and grew up recycling before it became an expected norm.

However, I don't think that any of those activities comes close to the life-empowering, world-changing, transformative action of adopting a child.

Saving a life is a far greater act than planting a tree.

It just is, and that feels obvious to me.

That's what my poem at Every Day Poets is about today. It's one of the harshest things I've written in a while. It's critical and I know it's going to bring a storm of criticism my way.

However, if you feel strongly about needing to save the life of a child, and for whatever reason you can't actually adopt or foster a child like I can't (my husband feels a need to serve God and community in other ways), I highly suggest checking out these options:

World Vision - child sponsorship and other giving opportunities. They have specific funds to fight against human trafficking and child soldiers.

Project AK-47 - the main emphasis of this group is to rescue and rehabilitate child soldiers.

Compassion International - child sponsorship and other giving opportunities.

Children of the Nations - food packaging and child sponsorship programs

Youth With a Mission (YWAM) -    ways to give financially to help and serve orphans and widows. They also have an adoption ministry.

I wish I could be like my friend and open my home to six more kids. Instead, I'm giving financially to organizations that I know have a good record of making a difference. I write letters to our sponsored child. I pray. I support others who adopt and foster kids.

And sometimes I write highly charged, angry poetry and hope that it stirs up ideas and not just anger.



29 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome you're shouting out about adoption even though you can't do it. I'm an adoptive mom and love it. But I wish we could have adopted another child but couldn't because of the cost and my husband's health. In the long run, it was the best decision for us. It would have been so hard being basically a single parent to two kids and working full-time for me. So don't beat yourself up too much on your decision.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

People always rate above trees and there are so many kids in need of a good, stable home now.

Anonymous said...

I think anyone who adopts one child let alone many is admirable and is giving a child the chance of a happy family life.
Yvonne.

Stephen Tremp said...

Great post! We were exploring the adoption route as we struggled to have kids for years, then we had two in a row. I'm all for adoption and think people should really consider it more.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Wish every child had a loving home to grow up in.

CWMartin said...

I sponsor- actually my second sponsorship- a child through Children International. I have to say it is one of the most rewarding experiences you personally will get nothing out of. Unless you like happy letters of thanks and crayon drawings and the knowledge someone is living better because of you. Then you get a lot back.

CWMartin said...

BTW I love the poem. I couldn't figure out how to comment there, though. Too many Hollywood do-gooders miss- and will continue to miss- the excellent point you made with it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Way to go with adoption! You definitely have a full plate, Natalie, and everything you do is amazing!
Thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I totally agree!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, I admire my friend who has adopted many, but I also admire many of my friends who have adopted one. The life given to each of those children is wonderful.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Stephen! Adoption is a movement I hope will grow in the future.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, me too.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love those letters and crayon drawings! and Thank you!!!

Liz Blocker said...

Bless your friend - that is amazing. I wish I could do the same, but can't, so I appreciate the ideas of other ways to help. Thank you! And while I agree with you and your poem, I do think that anything anyone does to save life on our planet - human, animal, plant - is valuable.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We were going to adopt, but it didn't work out. However, my best friend from high school adopted two children from China.

M Pax said...

We thought about adoption, but like Diane, it didn't work out for us either.

Natasha Hanova said...

Your friend is amazing! How wonderful of you to give her a shout out and let others know how they can help.

Unknown said...

I swear you and I have been on similar wavelengths lately. I saw the news stories on Syria and the sweet children being damaged by all the hate and felt compelled to do something- and wrote a similar post. we're not all called to adopt or foster, but we are all called to love in action. Wonderful post.

LD Masterson said...

May I also recommend ChildFund (formerly Christian Children's Fund). I've sponsored over a dozen children through them over the past forty years. It's not adoption but it is a way of making a difference.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you, Julie. I wrote the poem a while ago, but it certainly fits the stuff going on right now, as well as the horrifying stuff that just keeps going on worldwide with human trafficking, child soldiers, and orphans without homes.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks for the recommendation, LD!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

She is totally amazing! And thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

It's tough when it doesn't work out. We have to figure out where to go from there, how we can continue to love and help children anyway.
Good for your friend!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I understand. It's a tough road. I'm always amazed by and blessed by my friends who have successfully adopted kids.

Tyrean Martinson said...

She is amazing! And thank you! Yes, saving a life - any life, is important.

Maurice Mitchell said...

There have been many adopted children that have gone on to do wonderful things. There's a need and sadly black children are usually the last to be picked in the US. Very encouraging post!

Heather R. Holden said...

I always admire people who are willing and able to adopt a child. I'm awestruck that your friend has taken in so many!

randi lee said...

Adoption is an amazing and wonderful thing and changes so, so many lives for the better. Many, MANY "props" to your friend!!!

Unknown said...

Good job getting the word out on those agencies! Adaption is something that should not only be encouraged, but supported, since it helps give those poor children a chance to be with a family that can nurture them. Do educate yourself on the internecine laws and legal issues though, especially with regards to custody so that this outreach will be trouble free and smooth sailing. We could do that, at the very least.

Adoption Network