Friday, November 30, 2012

U Got the Look

I've been tagged for the U Got the Look meme by Ilima Todd!

All I have to do is go to my current WIP, hunt down the word "look", and post the surrounding paragraphs. I've had two projects going this month, my NaNoRevMo project: Champion in the Darkness, and my NaNoWriMo project: The Identity of Captain Wrath. So I thought I would give you a "look" at both.

From Champion in the Darkness:

He smiled at her, and then looked down at his papers. “You’re expected,” he said. “Although you’re younger than I thought you would be.”
Clara merely nodded, knowing that she was younger than most students who entered their mastership. At fifteen, she had already passed up students two to three years older than herself. But as Salene had pointed out, she had been under the tutelage of two unofficial masters, as well as her assigned Master teacher.
“You’re to wait there, by the doors to the Chamber,” said the sword guard.

“Thank you, sir,” said Clara. She walked slowly over the doors, which she had been looking at every day since her first day as an apprentice seven years ago. The doors were carved with several scenes, the history of the Champions of Septily, with the first Champion overlapping the two doors at the center. Champion Elar had fought back the divisive forces of the Dark Sisterhood and brought seven kingdoms together to form Septily itself. Space around the scenes left room for future Champions.


From The Identity of Captain Wrath:


“Would anyone care to wager on the outcome?” asked Doug, looking around the crowded barracks.

“You’re going to bet on your own fight?” asked Wistar, his Elvanen friend, who stood taller and leaner than the rest.

“Well, that would be cheating,” said Doug slowly, “so of course not.” He smiled at Reynad. “But if you,” now he looked at Wistar and their other friend Smith, “would like to place a wager on me, I’m sure you’ll get your money’s worth out of it.”

And I would like to pass this meme on to Julie Luek at A Thought Grows, Allison at Geek Banter who has a new blog look today, and Jack at Hapharzardly Improbable.

Thanks everyone for your graciousness yesterday!
I will have a final update on project goals on Wednesday next week for IWSG.

Life keeps being interesting around our house and within our family - my father-in-law spent a few hours in the hospital the other day for some heart issues - we joked later that he was just jealous of the attention my dad got (they know each other pretty well). Thankfully, everyone is on the mend, and we all still have our humor intact.

Despite all that's going on, my family and I are taking a day off today to see the King Tut exhibit. I'll be in blogland for a bit this morning and this evening. Then this weekend we plan on getting our Christmas Tree, and doing some decorating around the house . . .so we have a packed weekend ahead of us.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!

11 comments:

Trisha said...

Had a close family member in hospital this week too, but all is good here as well. And also this experience gave me a new story idea, so I guess that's an upside!

Glad to hear your family is all on the mend!

Have a great weekend :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Trisha - I hope and pray your family returns to good health quickly, and if we can get a good writing idea out of all these experiences then that's definitely a bonus!
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is kind of a fun meme-- thanks for including me. I enjoyed reading the morsels from your WIPs-- very tasty.

Best wishes for complete full recoveries for your father and father-in-law. Tell them no more sickness.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Go enjoy King Tut! And can't wait to read both stories.

Gwen Gardner said...

I'm glad your FIL is okay. Hopefully you can just take time off and enjoy December. Love the meme! Julie was kind enough to email and ask if she could tag me - but I already got tagged by Carolyn Brown - so fun!

Angela Brown said...

Pretty cool sample pieces from both stories.

Glad loved ones are on the mend.

Allison said...

Thanks for the tag! Cool excerpts.

Allison (Geek Banter)

Tammy Theriault said...

those were great reads!!! great job tyrean

Jack said...

I liked your snippets! The top one has me curious. Very curious to know what happens next. And before.

How was the exhibit? Did you all have a nice time?

Thank you for passing the...tag? On to me! It will be fun.

Sherry Ellis said...

I like your excerpts! Hope your family recovers, too.

Ciara said...

I look forward to your IWSG update. Hope your family recovers.