Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanks for your Prayers . . .and other news

Thank You for your prayers for Jessica!

Jessica's surgery went well, and she is recovering in the ICU (as expected). She has a four month long recovery ahead of her, with at least a month of it in the hospital. Your continued prayer support would be awesome.

I had the privelege of sitting with her parents yesterday for a few hours, and I am, as always, amazed by their strength and their faith. They had to wait two hours between each update from the surgical team, and the surgery went for 8 and 1/2 hours. With the two hours Jessica spent with the doctors and nurses pre-operation, and the time she spent with them post-operation, her parents had to wait 12 hours before they could be with her again. Even after running that marathon of waiting, they took the time to update their caring bridge site and give thanks to everyone for all their prayers.

So, again, thank you!

In other Thanksgiving News, Angie from Notes from the Writing Chair is hosting a Thanksgiving blogfest called Putting Thanks and Giving into Thanksgiving.
 
Also, this Friday, Ninja Captain Alex Andrew and and Matthew are co-hosting the Oh, How I Miss You Blogfest.

 Be sure to check it out!
 


Plus, Jessica Bell's book, Show and Tell in a Nutshell is out!
Available at Amazon US Amazon UK and Kobo
In Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing you will find sixteen real scenes depicting a variety of situations, emotions, and characteristics which clearly demonstrate how to turn telling into showing. Dispersed throughout, and at the back of the book, are blank pages to take notes as you read. A few short writing prompts are also provided.

Not only is this pocket guide an excellent learning tool for aspiring writers, but it is a light, convenient, and easy solution to honing your craft no matter how broad your writing experience. Keep it in the side pocket of your school bag, throw it in your purse, or even carry it around in the pocket of your jeans or jacket, to enhance your skills, keep notes, and jot down story ideas, anywhere, anytime.


In NaNoWriMo-land, I struggled to get any writing done. If you look at my word count meter on the right side, you'll see that I'm far behind. I'm ok with that on the days when I feel like my writing went well, but yesterday was one of those days, when nothing seemed right. For instance, even my characters were realizing that they were out of character yesterday.

“That horrible parrot?” said Telli. “That thing could bite off her finger, and dwarvans don’t have puny fingers.”

“He’s actually a very nice bird, if you treat him right,” said Doug.

“You’re definitely going to have to work on getting into character,” said Reyla. “Captain Wrath would never describe Mr. Polly as a ‘very nice bird.’”

Doug sighed. “You’re right.” He went to run his hand through his hair, but stopped when he touched the greasy wig. The glue was still itching him, or maybe it was just the nasty hair.
In NaNoRevMo-land, I revised three measly paragraphs worth of writing. On the upside, I don't think I need to revise those three paragraphs again.
 And Knight Light is still jousting at M Pax's Jousting Tournament - so please stop by and give me a Huzzah and a Pray Tell!
And Julie Luek put together a post full of revision tips, and one of mine made it into the post! However, I think you want to go to her post here, and check out what all the other awesome writers had to say about revision.

And my awesome critique partner Nickie Anderson released her book, Bright Star. More info on Friday and next week when I host her on my blog.

21 comments:

Nickie said...

Hehe! I love your NaNo story. In high school, I wrote this really sappy short story about a girl spending the summer with her blind grandmother. I had my sister revise it, and she said, 'You know what would make this story better? Pirates,' and started writing in a wild story at the end of mine.

And it really did improve it :)

Jessica Bell said...

Oh wow, thank you for posting about my book! :-)

Very glad Jessica's surgery went well. xx

Anonymous said...

You have a lot going on with both NaNos. But so good to make your friends a priority-- I will continue to lift them up. As a mom, this particularly touches my heart.

Jessica-- congrats on the book!

Heather Murphy said...

So glad to hear Jessica is doing well. Thanks for the update

Allison said...

Glad to hear the surgery went ok! And I am behind in NaNo too... but as long as I'm writing words every day, it's all good!

Allison (Geek Banter)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Nickie - cool story about writing! I think pirates can definitely improve some stories . . .

Jessica - you're welcome, and thanks for your thoughts on Jessica. :-)

Julie - Thanks for your prayers and your thoughts!

Heather - Thanks for stopping by!

Allison - I agree. A few words a day are better than none.

Tara Tyler said...

so glad jessica came through!

keep writing! i love captain wrath!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wonderful news about Jessica!
Don't focus on the word count. Just keep writing.
And thanks for mentioning our blogfest!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Thanks! and You're welcome! I hope I have the host names right . . .I think I had a mix up earlier.

Cherie Reich said...

I'm glad to hear Jessica's surgery went well. Good luck with NaNo!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Cherie - Thanks!!!

M Pax said...

That must be incredibly stressful. My thoughts and prayers for her and her family.

There's so much going on this month. You're making a fine show at the joust. Huzzah! Knight Light!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh goodness, it is definitely bad when the characters are telling each other they're out of character. ;-p

I hope Jessica heals quickly. I had to wait like that while my grandma went through a surgery, but I can't imagine it being my baby in there.

I haven't written the last two days, so I have makeup work to do tonight and tomorrow night. Busy, busy, busy, but I want to win!!!!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Livia Peterson said...

I hope Jessica heals quickly.

I think from your description of Jessica, she's a fighter and is determined. I think she will overcome this obstacle in life.

See ya on Friday! :)

Tammy Theriault said...

phew...always good to hear good news!

michelle said...

That's great news about Jessica!
There are lots of blog hops going around at the moment.
Enjoy the rest of NaNo!

Tyrean Martinson said...

M Pax - thanks for your thoughts and prayers for Jessica and her family. Each day is one more step in the right direction. And yes, there is a lot going on these days . . .so much to do.
Huzzah for Jousting!

Shannon - Yes, my characters were pretty close to telling me off yesterday but I pulled through it, and things got a little better . . .I think.
Jessica's parents are amazing.
Best wishes on a NaNoWriMo Win!!!

Livia - She is definitely a fighter! See you Friday!

Tammy - agreed!

Michele - Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear Jessica's surgery went well. I wish her the best.

I'd love to read Show & Tell.

Good luck with NaNo. I don't participate, but most of the time I have to play catch up with my writing.

Nick Wilford said...

Great to hear Jessica's surgery went well. I know how nerve-racking it is - we've just been through the same thing.

I liked the excerpt! Keep it up. You're not that far behind, it's definitely within grasp!

Ella said...

Such a touching story about Jessica!
I hope and pray for her and her family~
Good to know she is out of surgery!
I can't imagine...

Yes, good luck with NaNo...
I too liked what you shared :D

Tyrean Martinson said...

Medeia - thanks for your well wishes!

Nick - Thanks! I'm glad that Andrew is doing ok . . .I'm praying for him too.

Ella - Thanks for your prayers!