Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday Writing Prompts, Pt. 3

Writing prompts can be fun, they can start a poem, or a fiction piece, or a song. Or they might take us on a short writing journey that doesn't seem to have a point . . . but they help us get words on a blank page, and then that bit of writing helps us get into our "other" writing, our "real" writing.

Sometimes, I use writing prompts as writing warm-ups when I'm stuck in my fiction or poetry writing, and after I'm warmed up and stretched out, I find my fiction and poetry a little easier to tackle.

Writing prompts for today:

1. Singing my soul with his words

2. The long stretch

3. Engines rumbling deep underneath our seats

4. The crack of the starting pistol

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I might be able to run with that third one.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Good!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think my brain is stuck on editing right now.

Luanne G. Smith said...

I don't usually use writing prompts like this, but I've been writing a short story with someone back and forth over e-mail (it's the most ridiculous thing ever, but it's just for fun), and it's been interesting to have to react to what the other person writes. Usually what he writes doesn't match my vision of the story at all, and so it inspires me to have to write something new and different. It's been kind of a fun experiment.

Angela Brown said...

Great writing prompts. I do have something forming in my head but I have to give it time to marinate and see what comes of it.

Have a great weekend :-)

Unknown said...

Hi! We posted on something kind of similar today, didn't we? I think prompts, challenges and that kind of thing are the writer's best friends.

michelle said...

Most of my flash fiction stems from one-word writing prompts or pictures. And it really does get the creative juices flowing!