Monday, October 22, 2012

A Book You Really Want to Read/Write

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

I found this awesome quote the other day and just had to share it. This quote points to one of the reasons I write. I imagine a story . . .and guess what? No one else has written it yet. So I have to write it out myself. I enjoy writing rough drafts  because I love imagining my way through the story with a basic plot line by my side.

So, here I am trying to fix the last problems in Champion, but totally distracted by another idea (remember I enjoy rough drafts), and I decided to sign up for NaNoWriMo, which is kind of crazy.

I am going to finish polishing my very last draft of Champion in the Darkness by December. (I had an 8 chapter day on Saturday, and I'm looking forward to another one of those next weekend, so I think I have a chance of getting it done.) I'm also going to write the first draft of The Identity of Captain Wrath. Somehow in November, I'm going to work on both. I may not win NaNo this year, and I'm not really worried about it. (Ok, there's a part of me that wants to win everything, but mostly I'm not worried about it.)

So, anyone else up for NaNo this year?
 
Have you ever looked for the book of your dreams and decided that you just need to write it?

And are you ready for the Partners in ParanormYA guest post this Wednesday? 


Celebrations!


Tara signed a contract for her novel, Pop Travel! Congrats Tara!

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Of course - that's the reason I wrote my first book.
Glad you're writing about Captain Wrath because I really want to read his story!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Thanks!

Laurel Garver said...

That's one piece of advice I clung to, even when the market seemed to be saying otherwise. Going indie was a scary step but one I've increasingly been thankful exists.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Yep, that's why I'm writing the stories I'm working on now. No one else was really capturing the side of the story I wanted to hear about a woman warrior, so I decided to tackle it myself.

And I can't believe you got through editing 8 chapters in one day. Well done!

Allison said...

I also want to read Captain Wrath's story! :) Looking forward to being NaNo buddies.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Laurel - I think it's great that you tackled a tough subject in the way you did!

L.G. - I'm looking forward to reading your take on woman warriors! and, thanks!

Allison - Glad to hear it! I'm looking forward to being NaNo buddies too.

Cherie Reich said...

I'm doing NaNo this year (it'll be my 4th one). I can't imagine a year going by without doing NaNo.

And that's a great quote!

Anonymous said...

I've dreamed of a few books that I haven't written yet. They're speculative fiction when I write contemporary, realistic.

I'm not doing NaNo. One of these years I'll do it.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the writing. Your enthusiasm and determination shine through.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Cherie - This will be my third, but I can't imagine not doing it either.

Medeia - keep dreaming and keep writing!

Madeleine - Thanks!!!

quietspirit said...

Tyrean: I received an idea for a NF book, a type of devotional aimed at a very specific group of people. It's too soon to say how the progress is going.

michelle said...

Great quote! I've seen it many times.

NaNoWriMo? Eeeeeeek!
The thought of churning out 50 000 words in 30 days gives me the heebie-jeebies...
I'd probably mess it up...

mshatch said...

I am not doing NaNo. I already know I can't write a novel in a month!