Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Celebrate This?

Hi everyone,
I'ts late, and I haven't got my celebrate this post ready . . .yet. 

Life has been . . . well, life, full of ups and downs, twists and turns, and roaring faster than the fastest roller coaster.

I know there are lots of things to celebrate, published authors, new books, contests, fests, etc.

But today I got sidetracked by a post today at the Caring Bridge website, for a girl named Jessica, a daughter of one of our friends.

She's an eight year old girl that's undergone many major surgeries, who's recovering from her most recent surgery and anticipating the next one in November. In her next surgery, her spine will be fused and she will no longer be able to grow. It's the only option the doctors have left to help her, unless she wants to stay in halo traction for the rest of her life. Three surgeons from around the country (US) will be working on her that day. It's a month away, but it's weighing over her and her family.

Her family is amazing. Her dad travels for his job, but he tries to be at the hospital at least two-three days a week. Her mom quit her job to live with Jessica in the hospital full time. Last year, when they underwent a similar surgery, her brother lived at home with his grandma. This year, he's staying with his Aunt just a few miles away from the hospital, so he can do all his school lessons home study style with his mom, and be close to his sister each day.

Her brother interviewed her today about hospital life . . .and although I think the answers are pretty positive, they made me cry.

Here's a sample from their interview:

What are you going to do when you get out of the hospital?
Probably go home and recover. Maybe about a month and a half? I think I'll probably go back to school maybe in the middle or towards the end of December. When I'm healed, I'd like to go on vacation. I want to go to a place where they have bunches of rides but they also have a beach where you can play on the sand. I hope I'll be taller. Maybe 41 inches. Maybe 43 inches.

So, today, I guess I'm celebrating a family that is sticking together through a tough time, and looking forward to a future that will hopefully include some sand and bunches of rides.



8 comments:

M Pax said...

Hearing of the struggles others are burdened with really puts things in perspective. Doesn't it. I wish Jessica quick healing and a fantastic recovery.

Tyrean Martinson said...

M Pax - Thanks!

Laura Josephsen said...

That's so rough on a family--what an amazing little girl with a positive attitude. A family sticking together like that is a wonderful thing to celebrate.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Girl has a great attitude. I hope she gets to play on the beach soon!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Laura - I agree!

Alex - Yes, she does, and I hope so too!

Li said...

Sending healing thoughts Jessica's way. Caring Bridge is great - a friend of mine's little girl recently had surgery for cancer, and it was a wonderful way to keep in touch. I also discovered that Kindles are helpful - I was able to buy some ebooks and send them to her via email so she would have something to read and take her mind off of things once in a while.

quietspirit said...

I will pray for Jessica.

Unknown said...

What a struggle, and her attitude is one we should envy and strive toward.