Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Fear of the Unfinished





Alex J. Cavanaugh, in his usual encouraging way, has blessed the blog-world with the Insecure Writer's Support group. To find out more check out his Insecure Writers Support Group main page, and his first post Insecure Writers Support Group Post and Tips

My post today is based on one of my biggest fears, and the best way I've found to fight it.

FEAR OF THE UNFINISHED WORK! It just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Shark Survivor 3" but the reality is I find the thought that I might not finish my novel to be far more frightening than any horror movie. I've had other projects that haven't been finished, so I have a foundation of failure that builds up this particular fear.

I know I'm supposed to view those past novel projects as learning step stones. I feel more like they are ugly skeletons that threaten to pour out of my closet in the dark of the night when I wonder if I will ever finish the revision of my current WIP.

So there, I admitted it, my biggest fear. So now what? How do I keep from panicking?

1. I sit down and write. Every Day. Just write.

2. I pray.

3. I visit other writers' blogs, and find encouragement.

4. I read the first novels of other writers, and find encouragement in knowing that they've been where I am now, and they made it.

5. Then I teach writing to my kids, and to kids at our homeschool co-operative.

6. Then I write, and pray.

7. And write.

What's your biggest writing fear, and how do you overcome it?



Scripture Blessing:
"For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord. How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you?" 1 Thessalonians 3:9-10

9 comments:

Joanne said...

My biggest fear when it comes to writing is that nothing will ever get completed! I have spent so much time and I fear that in 100 years they'll find a bunch of manuscripts...all unfinished. Great post!
Blessings, Joanne

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Think I fear the beginning more than the ending.
Don't look at the ending. Look at the next few pages. Just keep doing that and you'll suddenly come to the end. Like eating an elephant.
I know! Who the heck eats an elephant, anyway?

Nicki Elson said...

Well, you're praying and seeking His guidance, so I don't see how you can go wrong. ;) You're so not alone---I've already seen a few posts about this fear of not finishing.

Ella said...

I love your advise; I fear sharks and laughter!

Golden Eagle said...

I worry about not finishing things, too. Less so than before, now that I've actually finished one novel at least, but I have so many uncompleted projects.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Tyrean. I'm visiting people I haven't yet met and I'm so glad to meet you. We have to let the fear go, fly away, yes pray, but just write. Take a walk then write some more. Thanks for sharing a fear I'm sure most writers have. Denise

M Pax said...

I have a fear of no great next idea. I fear running out of ideas most.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Joanne - I know exactly how you feel! Thanks!!!

Alex - Who eats elephants? Hmmm. Tigers, Lions, really hungry people who are not politically correct? . . . .LOL. Thanks for the cheer, and I hope your beginnings get easier.

Nicki - THanks for your encouragement!

Ella - Thanks! I recently snorkeled with sharks, and trust me - they are not interested in humans - or at least those ones were not. Being laughed at is scary, but laughter itself is awesome. Tears scare me more.

Golden Eagle - I know what you mean - my novel is technically finished in a rough draft way so that gives me hope for finishing a polished draft, but there are so many projects and so little time.

L'Aussie - I love your statement "let the fear go, fly away, pray, just write, take a walk and write some more." Thanks!

M Pax - just let your imagination fly!

Mel Chesley said...

My biggest fear is that I won't get published. That the one huge mistake I made early in my career will loom over me for the rest of my life and I will never wipe that mark away. That it will keep me from ever getting published or being taken seriously. I can only hope that with my hard work and perseverance that I will wipe out that mark!
Great post!