Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Poetry, Challenges, and Contests

In search of poetry
I find myself
delighted with words
sorrowful and sweet,
words of anguish and defeat,
of glory and majesty.

"The world is at my feet"
and all around me vibrant
rich, full, and even "in 3D"
without the glasses or the
booming sound system, I am
completely immersed in life.


So, I'm challenging myself to write poetry this week, even if it isn't perfectly poetic.

In the midst of searching for soul deep words rich with meaning, instead of the flat, overused ones that dull my senses, I've stumbled across poetic prose all around me.

There is poetry in advertising, movies, music, and the books I just happen to be reading right now.

For example:
"Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty" is one of the specialty drinks that I've seen advertised recently. I discovered it while my youngest daughter was looking for tongue twisters. Try to say it five times fast. Or just listen to the rhyme and rhythm of the words.

From two different movie trailers:
"One day somebody's gonna have to take a stand,
One day somebody's gonna have to say enough."

"The last of his kind
will risk everything to save mankind."

-You may notice that the movie trailers are a bit cliched, but they do seem to work to draw movie-goers into theatres. Is it the pull of rhyme and rhythm?

From music, there are so many options that I'm just going to go with one of my favorites:
"Cause I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple rips in my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But perfection is my enemy"

I'm currently reading: Jeremiah in an NIV Bible, Run With Horses by Eugene H. Peterson (a study of Jeremiah), Dolphin Song by Lauren St. John, Dealing With Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, Write Now! edited by Sherry Ellis, and a number of home school related books. Poetric phrasing seems to be leaping off the pages.

So, here's my challenge for you, if you would like to take it: Can you figure out where the advertisement, two movie trailers, and music quotes are from?

I wish I had a really cool signed book to give away, but I don't have those pieces together yet. So this is all just for fun.

If you would like a really cool signed book, then check out the Spread the Awesome Day at Benedictions and Jen Wilks and many others . . .those two will get you started.

Have a blessed day! Enjoy the dance of language!

3 comments:

Jill Kemerer said...

I know the song! It's on the Christian music channel often. Can't remember the artist :(

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to find your blog. I'm glad I did!

Karen Lange said...

Good ideas for playing with words! I like your last line about 'the dance of language', too.
Blessings,
Karen

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you Jill and Karen for your wonderful encouragement!
The dance of language idea isn't really mine but I wish it was - more about that today.