Tuesday, July 3, 2012

IWSG - Face Your Fears

This month for Insecure Writer's Support Group, I would like to challenge everyone to face your fears.

On vacation with my family, I often get a chance to face my fears.

In April 2011 I swam in the ocean with huge manta rays, sharks, and green sea turtles. (I've always been afraid of swimming with little fish in any open water)

At the end of June (this year), I walked the rim trail at the Grand Canyon to Hermit's Rest and saw condors flying below us. The trail felt way too narrow at some points and too close to the edge. (my fear of heights was definitely challenged)


On July 1st, even though we're still on vacation, I submitted one of my poems for publication with a magazine.

Maybe that doesn't seem to be a big "fear-facer" type situation, but when I have those moments when I'm doubting my writing, submitting my work is all about facing my writing insecurities.


True, I've had some short stuff like stories and poems published before, but that doesn't seem to mean that I've lost all my fear of rejection.


Have you faced any fears lately? With your writing? Your life?

I highly encourage you to face your fears because I think you'll find that when you do, you'll be rewarded with renewed confidence.