On the 10th day of Christmas, Giving Thanks and Praise for:
1. J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday! His life was a gift that keeps giving to all lovers of fantasy fiction, especially fantasy fiction written by Christian authors.
2. “All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.” - Tolkien, Lord of the Rings
3. “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” - Tolkien
4. “Courage is found in unlikely places.” - Tolkien
5. ““Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”” - Tolkien
6. “The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.” - Tolkien
7. ““But that’s not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually - their paths were laid that way, as you put it. But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn’t. And if they had, we shouldn’t know, because they’d have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on - and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end”” - Tolkien
8. “Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.” - Tolkien
9. “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” - Tolkien
10. Jesus inspires us to live our lives in a worthwhile way.
"But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'" 1 Samuel 16:7