Wednesday, October 1, 2014

IWSG Anniversary!

Woohoo!!! Happy Anniversary IWSG!!! You rock!!! Many, many, huge, ginormous thanks to Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh and the might IWSG Team!!! It's the anniversary, and my post is part of the "article" I sent to the IWSG book team.
 

As a writer, I’ve discovered that writing, publishing, and marketing intertwine. At first glance, they seem like three separate entities, but the more that I practice all three, I have found that they are linked.

When I write to publish and market, I find that I have a firm purpose that drives my stories, poems, and novels to the finish line and beyond that through revisions. That same writing practice, especially when I add blogging into it, leads me to market my writing because I’m excited by the pursuit of the writing craft.

When I pursue publication, both by sending my work out to editors and by self-publishing, I am driven to study the craft of writing and finish writing exercises that lead me to the next story, poem, or novel. In publication, I find that I have something to market, or at least announce in an excited way to my friends, family members, and blog buddies.

When I strive to market my work, I often have a strong desire to run back to my writing cave and write more. Marketing can have a creative side that encourages my creative thought process and sends me back to my “what if?” rough drafts. Marketing also pushes my pursuit of publication, for as each piece sells, I want to experience that excitement again.


As I’ve grown as a writer, become published by others and myself, and become a marketer, I have discovered that these three parts of life as a modern writer have the same key component: persistence.

Persistence is a steadfast and firm continuance of action, purpose, or state in spite of opposition. Persistence is all about tenacious endurance, and the insistence that we, as writers, have good stories and poetry to share. Persistence pushes past insecurities.

 

Persistence works best when we have a cheering team. And that's what IWSG is all about!
 
Write On, IWSG members and fellow writers!!! You can persist past insecurities and write awesome stories, poetry, and novels.



28 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In other words, it's a vicious circle!
Or a really motivating and inspiring one.
Thanks for contributing to the book.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, something like one of those. :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love this - "Persistence pushes past insecurities." Although, it is a bit of a tongue twister. :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Tyrean Martinson said...

I think I might have been going overboard on consonance . . .
Thanks, Madeline!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love how you showed the interconnections between the three parts. And you're so right about persistence.

Cherie Reich said...

We writers definitely have to be persistent. And it's so true how all three relate to each other. True, we can just write, but if we want to share those stories, then we have to think of the publishing/marketing aspects as we write.

SK Anthony said...

They really are intertwined! And they do push each other . . . if we want to persistent about it, and we do. GREAT post!!! :D

Tonja Drecker said...

Persistence seems to be a huge part. And it's true, it's not just about the writing; there's so much more. Well put!

Christine Rains said...

Persistence is definitely the key! Great post. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We must be persistent and consistent!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Susan!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, they all come together - even if we try to avoid the big "M that shall not be named."

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, S.K. - I needed that boost today. I was having post envy. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, T! Persistence is key. It just is. Talent is nice, but persistence wins. :)

S. L. Hennessy said...

Persistence. Yes. It's the hardest thing in the world sometimes, and they only way to get anywhere in the writing world.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Christine!

Tyrean Martinson said...

It is one of the hardest parts, and yet, absolutely necessary.

Jenni said...

I think you're right. You can't totally write for yourself or for the market, but you need to keep both in mind. Also, persistence is key!

Luanne G. Smith said...

Yay for persistence! The most important character trait for a writer. :)

Mark Means said...

Persistence IS the key and I'm cheering you on, as well :)

ELAdams said...

Great post! Persistence is a key part of both writing AND marketing, for sure!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Really enjoyed your post and those of others this month. So true about the importance of persistence. I need to hear that now.

M Pax said...

Persistence is key. None of us would be anywhere without it. And yes, the three intertwine a lot. I find myself thinking of marketing when planning a new story now.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Tyrean,,,

You are SO right about persistence ... this industry is HARD to break and succeed. You need a tough skin and a ton of determination.

Tammy Theriault said...

persistence is the only thing you can be in the writing world!

dolorah said...

I never thought of marketing as incentive to write.

Juneta key said...

Wonderful post, and so true. Thank you for sharing that. Very Inspiring.
Juneta at Writer's Gambit

Anonymous said...

I've never thought about the three being so interconnected, but they are. And persistence -- yes, where would we be without it? Thanks for an inspiring post!