Thursday, August 11, 2022

Pseudonyms

 


I have wrestled with the idea of pseudonyms for over a decade. I didn't originally want one.

I love my name. I love the way it reads. I love the way it sounds. I love it as it is.

However, some readers find it off-putting for various reasons, sometimes because they can't pronounce it easily.

Think of how you use the 'ea' vowel combination in words like read, lean, mean, freak, leak, teak, ease, sea, and you should have it right. 

However, it's still a conundrum on the front of a book cover.

Now, if you're wondering what I'm doing with most of my existing series, well, I'll keep my name there.

However, for some new projects, I'll be going with one of a couple of pseudonyms.

Plural.

Yep. 

It's going to be a big of an experiment, but so far, I think it will go well.

For one of them, I'm just adding a page here at my blog and my other website. For the other, well, you'll have to hunt for it. I'm not going to reveal it at the moment. 

Ironically, the one I'm adding here is the one with which I'll be publishing slightly more dicey material. My Captain Wrath stories have often surprised people who know me in the real world. It's like I'm too "nice" in my regular life for friends to realize I actually can and do write some slightly grittier material. 

So, for now, TA Thorne (yes, it's obvious, right?), is my pseudonym for my Captain Wrath series, which is going live on Kindle Vella this month. 

The page for TA Thorne is HERE.

More information about the pseudonym and the story are on that page. 

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hope it works. That name could be either man or woman, so that does work in your favor.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Let us know how well the experiment works.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck with this. Let us know if it works.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Best of luck. Do give us an update of how it went.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Clever! I like it. I think it's a good idea to separate genre shifts with a name change. Better branding.

I picked up the your anthology of short stories and poems. The one about the writer is priceless! Really enjoying. Thank you!