Wednesday, December 5, 2012

IWSG, NaNo report, and Sleep-typing?


It's IWSG - that awesome time of month where writers everywhere in blogland take a moment to reflect on their insecurities, or to give inspiration, or maybe just give a rambling report on the state of writing? (no, that's not official that's just me this month)

Remember to stop by and Thank the Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh for his awesomeness - he started and continues to lead IWSG each month!

It seems like road blocks have been cropping up at regular intervals for my writing journey. I start, get up to speed, and an orange road block sign jumps out at me from behind an innocent looking bend in the road. I slow down, navigate my way through the orange cones and around the detour,  then creep up to speed again. (no, not the kind of speed that got me those speeding tickets mentioned in the And You Are Blogfest – I try not to do that anymore)

These road blocks have come in different ways: emergency trips to the hospital for my dad and my father-in-law, a friend whose daughter had a much needed spinal surgery needed some friends to sit with her in the waiting room, my oldest daughter’s intense dislike of the distributive property in algebra (solved now), two family Thanksgiving dinners on two different days, a need to rest and just read. (really that’s a need for me), my husband preparing to “do” video for three different winter dance recitals, a different dance class schedule (my youngest switched from four days of ballet to only one day of tap – should be easier but any change throws me off), upcoming ski and snowboard weekends to prepare for (do the ski pants fit, where did those poles go?), a Christmas tree, my friend’s homecoming for her daughter from the hospital, and silly things like having a very sleepless night because of our two dogs barking at an animal outside our fence, followed by a night of sleepwalking and possible sleep-typing.  I woke up by my laptop at 1a.m. and hoped I hadn’t updated my facebook status with gibberish or something even more embarrassing.

Somewhere in all of that, my NaNoWriMo project The Identity of Captain Wrath derailed, and my characters were complaining that I wasn’t writing them correctly. On a positive note, for NaNoRevMo, I did get quite a bit of work done for Champion in the Darkness. Two of my beta readers have declared it ready for sale, but I still need to give it a final read aloud for typos, grammar errors, and then I’ll be onto formatting.

So, one would think that in the midst of all those road blocks, the derailment of one project and the plain slowness of another I would feel really insecure, right?

Strangely, I don’t. Why not?

1.       Because of you, you, you, and all of you. (You know I’m talking about You, right?) Your support and encouragement has been huge!!! Thank you!

2.       Because I am still getting something done, a little bit at a time. Champion in the Darkness will be ready for February. I know it.

3.       Lots of prayer. Bible study. The sureness that God has a plan for me, and even if it’s looks a bit blotchy at close range, I’m sure that it will turn out good at a distance like a Monet.  (not because I’m beautiful but because Jesus is)

4.       I’m working on a new plan for The Identity of Captain Wrath. Have you ever seen any of the books that are released chapter by chapter in episodes? Well, I think (still in thought process) that I may be doing something like that. . .crazy? Maybe. If I go that route, I plan to release one chapter at a time every two weeks, and then at the very end compile it all together into book format . . .thinking that 24-36 episodes should be about right. I’ll be making up my mind on that over Christmas break (yes, I’ll be taking one of those from December 20ish to January 1st).
 
5. Because of you . . .yes, I'm back to you. Really, your encouragement brightens my day.
 
Remember to Give Back to Alex with the Cheers, Cavanaugh Fest!
And please feel free to join M Pax and I for Hobbit Fest on December 14th!
 
 
 

30 comments:

Brinda said...

I loved #3. Yes, I think we all need encouragement and to know how to sleep-type great scenes.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Brinda - Thanks! Encouragement and sleep-typing are basically getting me through my projects.

Luanne G. Smith said...

This time of year is just crazy busy. It does take an extra dose of patience. I know I'm trying to get pages ready for a reader, write new chapters, critique someone else's story, and get the holiday shopping done. Ack! It gets overwhelming. Things may get pushed back a week or two from my original plan, but they will eventually get done. So will yours!! Just hang in there. :)

Barbara Watson said...

Too often we beat ourselves up over what we're not doing. Amid life's busyness, it's so important to remember what we are doing. I love your perspective.

Jen said...

By the time the year winds down, I believe we all are a bit bombarded by life and writing takes a back seat. I know mine has! Actually, mine started long before the holidays!! Ah well...

Encouragement is SO important! That's just one of the reasons I make it a point to blog on IWSG days. I haven't really blogged in a while, but I do get something encouraging from these posts.

Thank you for the encouragement! I wandered over from the IWSG list.

Happy Christmas!
Jen

Tyrean Martinson said...

L.G. - Thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your busyness too! I really appreciate knowing that I'm not in this crazy busy place on my own.

Barbara - Thank you!

Jen - Happy Christmas! I'm glad you wandered over from the IWSG list - it's definitely the best blogging fest!

Cherie Reich said...

That's right. Getting something done is better than nothing, even if it isn't as much as you hoped to accomplish. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Cherie - Thanks! :-)

Laura Eno said...

Alex is the best for coming up with this idea!
I'd be more than derailed with your month - I'd be sitting in the corner with a bottle.
It doesn't matter the pace. The story will come out in its own time and manner.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. I should just leave it there and let it stand alone, but I won't. I love that you wrote this post-- it encouraged me on so many levels. And we will not give up but press on towards the goal!

Unknown said...

Writing certainly feels like a struggle of inches at times Tyrean. Always editing, blogging--basically everything BUT actual writing (I know editing IS writing, but it doesn't hold the magic of telling a story for the first time in my opinion).

Sounds like you're making great progress, even if you didn't finish NaNo (I never started, so I dodged another year of being labeled a failure I suppose :).

This is my first month of IWSG and I'm loving all of the 'old friends' I'm bumping into! Good luck on your upcoming releases, and let me know if I can ever help spread the word. I'd be happy to help!

cleemckenzie said...

It's a slow process and sometimes so slow that you can't "see" the progress. But when you hold your book in your hand, that's when it hits you. "OMG I wrote a whole book!"

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Sometimes our expectations are set too high and we should be hapy to just get there - eventually. Slow and steady wins the raCE - THEY DO SAY...

Tyrean Martinson said...

Laura - Alex is definitely the best for this idea! Your response made me laugh -I have been drinking a bit of caffeine lately . . .and I gave it up six months ago. Sigh.

Julie - THANKS!!! Big Hugs!

EJ - I know what you mean about the editing not holding the magic of writing something for the first time. I've been struggling with that for a while now. Thanks for your offer - I may take you up on that!

cleemckenzie - love that picture you just put in my head! Thank you!

Pat - Slow and steady . . .winning. Sounds good!

Angela said...

I'm happy that you've found so much support here in the blogging community! We all get stuck sometimes, but how great that you've found a way to keep it all in perspective! :-)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Angela - Thanks!!! Perspective helps.

E. Arroyo said...

Wow...that's a lot. I got tired just thinking about all that. Your perspective of it is amazing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing. =)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great attitude! Life rarely progresses at the pace we want, and God's pace is NEVER what we want. But there is a plan.
Did you update your Facebook status with something funny?

Nickie said...

Yes! You can do it. I'm so excited for 'Champion in the Darkness' :) You just have to keep on keepin' on.

Becky Fyfe said...

Family has a way of getting in the way of writing, but you still have managed to get one book almost ready for publication and one one the way. Well done!

Gwen Gardner said...

Wow, you're one busy lady! Of course life always crops up, it's how you handle it that matters. And you handle it just fine. Well done, Tyrean.

Allison said...

Encouragement is an amazing thing. Keep up the great work :)

Allison (Geek Banter)

David P. King said...

Here's some more encouragement - you're awesome. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, including that pesky know-it-all in the mirror.

As for sleep-typing, that would solve all my time-crunch problems - if the words were coherent, of course. :)

Angie said...

You're doing great! Serialized novels are getting more popular lately. Go for it!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's why we always need a plan B, C, and D. And alternate routes to our goal. Distractions will always pop up, but if you keep your eyes on your goal, they won't derail you forever.

Jack said...

Remembering God has a plan for everything and a purpose helps a lot. It has been my only help recently. Sometimes all we can do is keep our eyes on Him, and thank Him for the friends and help He sends us.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love this! Very positive and confident. Good luck to you as you get things revamped, and have a wonderful vacation!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

michelle said...

I love your positivity!
Thanks for the uplifting post!

Suzanne Furness said...

Life has a habit of creeping up on us with obstacles. Sounds like you are doing a grand job of dodging them though. Sleep typing is a new one on me! Take care :)

Golden Eagle said...

I admire you for just being able to handle all of that!

An episodic story sounds really cool. I'm surprised there aren't more of them--the internet seems to lend itself to episodes!