Friday, December 14, 2012

Hobbit Fest and Free Souls

Hobbit Fest is Here!!!! I'm so thankful that M. Pax joined me in hosting this event. She created the really cool pic, and set up the linky list! Make sure you check out her post, her funny Leonard Nimoy video, and say thank you!

I'm writing and posting early since I'll be going to the 12:01 a.m. showing of the movie. My kids insisted (really, it was them and not me), and I didn't want to cheat on my last answer. I'll probably update tomorrow with a short (promise) review. Update below



What is your favorite hobbit characteristic/or the one that you think closely resembles you . . .?

Well, I am really short, and slightly rounder than I would like. I happen to like second breakfasts since I get up two hours before my kids . . .at least that's my excuse. (I have been going to the YMCA and running their indoor track lately so I am becoming slightly less Hobbit-shaped)

If you could choose between a scrumptious second breakfast and a perilous unexpected journey – which would you prefer?
Oooh, I made this question up thinking of the hard choice between peach covered pancakes, and a day on the ski slopes - although that's not really that perilous.

I would like to say that I would take the unexpected journey, but I know myself too well. If there's peril and unexpectedness, I'm more likely to curl up in a quilt and stay at home.

I like my adventures managed in size-able chunks. I have snorkeled with Manta Rays, but that was a few years ago now and I researched the whole thing first . . .you see what I mean. I weighed the pros and cons and tried to take out any peril or unexpectedness, and so I had a good time.

Have you ever left behind something on a journey (expected or unexpected) and wished you could have it over and over again? (a pocket handkerchief?)

Too many times to count. I usually forget my toothbrush, but the worst forgotten item was a can opener on a camping trip when my new (17 years ago) hubster and I brought canned chili for dinner.
What is your Favorite part or quote from the book that you hope will be in the movie?
 Another hard question . . .why did I make up ones like this? Umm. I really want the runes on the map to be cool, and I'm looking forward to the dwarves showing up in ones, twos, and threes at Bilbo's door. There's so much that it's hard to choose. I'm looking forward to hearing the dwarves sing, and Bilbo's first touch of the ring, and the riddle contest, and Beorn, and the eagles.

I guess I hope the movie does a really good job with Beorn.


UPDATE!!! PARTIAL MOVIE REVIEW! Stayed up really late, woke up late for my own Hobbit Fest, loved the movie, and loved seeing it with an enthusiastic crowd of Hobbit lovers!!! No, it doesn't follow the book exactly (I can be an exacting purist with book to movie renditions), but The Hobbit is beautiful, striking, and exciting. The acting is superb, the graphics are awesome, and the soundtrack is wonderful. Hope you all go and enjoy it soon!
In other awesome exciting news . . .

Free Souls, the final book in the Mindjack trilogy by Susan Kaye Quinn, is out now!!!! Just in time for Christmas! The question is, can I wait for my hubster to give it to me, or do I buy it right now? The whole trilogy has been a family favorite (meant for YA, but my 11 year old who eats and breathes books loves them).

Free Souls (Book Three of the Mindjack Trilogy)Available at Amazon
 And Jack at However Improbable has her first book out today! Check out:
 
 

 

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this fest! I am rounder than I want to be so in the new year I'm hoping to change that. I do love a second breakfast myself, though i should take a unexpected journey to get myself into shape. :)

Anna Tan said...

Awesome hobbit fest is awesome.
I have to wait until next week to see it :(
Can't wait!

Tonja said...

Thanks for hosting! Now that I think about it, I'm not only short but also hobbitlike in shape. I was thinking about going to the Y today too - now I think I definitely should!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - great and you answered all your questions ..'fraid I didn't - my post took a slightly different route ... I now look forward to your thoughts on the film ....

I think I just beat you to seeing it - cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I bet you don't really look Hobbit shaped.
So what did you eat instead of the beans?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I couldn't think of anything specific from the book either. That was a tough question.

Karen Lange said...

So many good blogfests happening! Have a great weekend! :)

ib said...

Came by way of Alex's blog and felt it my duty to participate in the Hobbit blogfest. I think I'll stick around awhile if you don't mind.

Jack said...

The movie had all of that in it, so I think you are set *Grin* It was very nice. I got a bit confused sometimes, but it wasn't much and it was all so lovely looking. Except for the trolls and whatnot, but they are not supposed to be.
But anyhow, the movie is amazing! Have you seen it yet?

Tara Tyler said...

you're so funny, questioning your own questions!
great answers! looking forward to movie! thanks for hosting!

Gwen Gardner said...

I'm way rounder than I want to be, too. *sigh* But there's always the new year.

I love all the parts you mentioned. Tolkien was a genius. Thanks for thinking up this awesomefest and for hosting :)

Nicki Elson said...

Hey, I've got Susan's book featured in my Hobbit post too. :) I heard a decent review of the movie this morning. I'm going to see it in IMAX, so excited...(and I'm with you on second breakfast, NOT with you on camping, haha)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Melissa - glad you are enjoying it!!!

Anna - it's worth seeing!

Tonja - we'll both be at the Y today!

Hilary - I'll be over to read your exciting take on the Hobbit Fest soon.

Alex - I kind of do . . .but I'm working on it. And the chili night . . .well, I'm afraid we ate crackers that night, and had pancakes early the next morning.

L. Diane - I didn't realize how tough it was until I started answering it.

Karen - Thanks! Have a wonderful weekend!

ib - You're welcome to stick around! Thanks for stopping by!

Jack - saw it, and loved it! Returned home at 3 a.m., but didn't think of blogging until now - 8:20ish am Pacific time so probably incredibly late for the East coasters.

Tara - glad I made you smile. I wrote the post by the seat of my pants - not my original intention.

Gwen - Tolkien was definitely a genius!

M Pax said...

OOo! I look forward to seeing the movie. I went stargazing last night, which is why I got a late start. I suppose that was somewhat perilous in the winter. The top was all snow and I was a bit terrified coming home. But I made it.

I usually have a piece of fruit as a second breakfast, but those peach pancakes sound really awesome.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound! A late start is far, far better than none!!!
I'm sure the stars were beautiful.

Anonymous said...

So happy to be joining in. I cannot wait for this movie.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Donna - Thanks for joining us!!! Hope you enjoy the movie too!

Luanne G. Smith said...

Yay for The Hobbit. I'd like to say I would enjoy an adventure, and I do, but who would turn down a full English breakfast? Can't be running around the countryside chasing trolls on an empty stomach.

Maurice Mitchell said...

LOL Great idea for a blogfest. I knew the film would be gorgeous. Just because it's Peter Jackson.

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the movie review. Good to hear you enjoyed it! :)

Amanda Rose said...

Thank you for hosting the bloghop Tyrean! It was a blast! I forgot my toothbrush on a particular trip too. I can't wait to go and see the movie! ^^ :D

Tyrean Martinson said...

Luanne - that's right, we need that hearty breakfast before we chase trolls!

Maurice - it's definitely a great film. Thanks for stopping by!

Golden Eagle - Thanks! I definitely enjoyed it!

Amanda - missing toothbrushes must be littering the countryside somewhere . . .joking . . .and thanks for stopping by!

Trisha said...

I can't wait to see the movie!! And thanks so much for co-hosting Hobbit Fest :) It's fun to share a love of great books/movies with other writer bloggers!

I'm also a great fan of adventure, but 'cause the question had "peril" in it I knew I had to say 2nd breakfast, 'cause I'm not really a thrill seeker.

Rebekah Loper said...

Hehe, I went to a midnight showing, also!

Oh, it was so good. Now if I can just find wiggle-room in the budget to go again . . .

Hehe, I have a similar can opener story, though it was from this past summer when Hubby and I were moving into our house, and the can opener didn't make it into the right box *sigh*.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

The Hubster is a good man for staying the course after forgetting the can opener... I was getting hungry just reading about the missed chili experience :)

Arlee Bird said...

I one of the few people in the English-speaking world who hasn't read The Hobbit. I guess I'll see the movie eventually. It's getting mixed reviews but mostly because of the fast frame filming technique--some people love it and some don't.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Li said...

Fun reading all of the answers! I'm waiting to see the Hobbit with a friend who's traveling here for Christmas.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Trisha - Thanks for joining us for Hobbit Fest - and yes, if the question hadn't had peril in it, I would have chosen adventure too.

Rebekah - We're hoping to see it again too . ..but not sure when or how. I'm sorry about the moving can opener experience - that's worse because moving makes everyone tired.

Mark - I agree. He stayed the course and that was impressive, especially since he doesn't like camping much.

Arlee - read the book! It's worthwhile, and the movie is fun too.

Li - Thanks for stopping by! I hope you get to see the movie soon!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

yeah, I'd like to think I'd take the unexpected journey too, but would more than likely stay at home haha

Tyrean Martinson said...

Lynda - I know how you feel exactly!

Deniz Bevan said...

Thanks for hosting the hobbitfest! I loved the fact that they used Tolkien's own map as the map :-)