July Hop co-hosts:
Sandra Cox http://sandracox.blogspot.com/
Beth Camp https://bethandwriting.
Jenni Enzor https://jennienzor.blogspot.
OPTIONAL QUESTION: There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade?
I wasn't sure how to answer this question as a writer when I first encountered it. So, I flipped it around and asked myself what I would like to see as a reader. I brainstormed in one massive paragraph, but then I broke it up into what I hope is reasonable chunks of ideas. My "big" idea is the last one I hit upon and it's still a bit messy.
As a reader, I would like to see:
- Small bookshops everywhere! Book shops on wheels (parked next to the best food trucks, driving to park by beaches and hiking areas, etc.). Book kiosks for paperbacks of all sizes (chapbooks, novellas, novels, experimental fiction), audio, and e-book (not sure why we would need kiosks for e-books, but having a way to interface might be a good idea).
- Storytelling and Read-Aloud groups everywhere for all ages and age groups. Book rooms, book discussion rooms, and reading rooms need to be including with all book shops - even kiosks and book trucks could have a small fold-out chairs for this.
- Book clubs abounding. Readers connecting with each other and talking books.
- AND Streaming Book Channels/Websites like Netflix and Hulu, but for Audio and Reading. I know this sounds like Amazon, but I mean something with an entertainment interface - maybe even including book discussion rooms, author talk videos/meet-ups, and Q + A sessions. Basically, a combo of Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, and Facebook/Instagram with readers creating fan art for their books or taking pictures with their favorites. And, footage of actors like Levar Burton reading snippets of their favorite works out loud.
- This really cool book streaming service would offer good pay rates to authors, but also be inexpensive enough to draw readers/listeners and somehow have both the feel of walking into an online movie theater and an online library - with awesome graphic interfaces (this needs to be a key component, especially in the search section).
I would love to see this as a reader and as a writer.
Instead of seeing reading as a chore, a duty, or a terrible assignment from the universe, we could get excited about it and treat it like the fun, entertaining, relaxing, wonderful, mind-bendingly awesome activity it is.
What would you like to see happen to the book industry?
My novella Crash became the re-titled Lift Off. (Crash is an overly popular title word.)
I will be releasing an edited, revised version of the story. I had planned on shooting for an August release, then slowed way down in the revision process. I'm now looking at a November release date.
So, looking way ahead, would anyone be interested in helping me with:
1. A Cover Reveal.
2. Book Reviews.
3. A Book Blog Tour.
4. Twitter, Instagram, Social Media celebrations.
If you are interested in helping, please let me know in the comments or in an email.
Plus, I am hosting a one-time, free online Journal Writing for Creativity and Purpose Session on July 9th. Come, write with me!
Get details by sending me an email at tyreantigger (at) gmail (dot) com