Friday, April 29, 2016

Update Day April 2016 Do You Have Goals? Blog Hop

Many thanks to the founders of this hop: Misha and Beth
If you would like to join this encouraging group, go here. 


The sun is shining, flowers are blooming, and I'm restless to do more, write more, and exercise more. As usual, it's hard to find a balance. Family life is always full and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Goal Updates (slightly different than the last few months, but a similar idea):

1. I'm into my new novel with full gusto after weeks of half-commitment. It's going good some days and bad on others, but I just keep writing one word at a time.

The picture that sparked my W.I.P. Patience can be found here: National Geographic. However, my story isn't set in Kosovo.

2. I've written several short stories this month - some hint fiction length and some at a comfortable short story length. I've submitted seven of them and have had some responses already - some positive and some negative.

3. My health goals are all over the place with a different dose of thyroid medicine, less caffeine, more walking, some biking, a tiny amount of skiing. The weight remains the same and it's not a number that's healthy so I'm finally, really-for-sure-this-time, starting a diet/health daily diary.

4. My spiritual life has had its ups and downs, but is mostly on a good note these days. I've had some days where prayer was a necessity and asking for prayer from friends and my pastor was necessary, too, and yet, I'm fully on board with praise team again, which I love.

"Prayer and Praise is the double-barrel shotgun against the enemy, the father of lies."
 - Nicholas Kraft, Go Missions International.
BTW, Kraft is a non-violent missionary who underwent a brutal, physical attack in his home in the mission field. He was beaten unconscious as his family was forced to submit at gunpoint to an armed burglary. If he can come out of that, and go straight to prayer and praise, I think I can rely on those two for my every day life.

5. The Guest Series part of 5 Reasons to Write is will kick off next week with Karen Lange!
Upcoming 5 Reasons to Write posts will be by: Tara Tyler, Lori Machlaughlin, Sean Maclachlan, Milo James Fowler, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Randi Lee, Alex J. Cavanaugh, Misha Gerrick, Elizabeth Seckman, and Mark Noce, although the series will have a brief hiatus in August.

6. The Thing That Turned Me: An Anthology is coming out at the end of May!


I haven't conquered new worlds, but I'm still writing one word at a time, and that seems to work.

Total Word Count for April: 21,174 (slightly under monthly goal of 25,000)

Total Miles Walked in April: 36.5 miles (slightly under goal)

Total Miles Biked: 30 miles (way under goal, but still going)

Vacation (I met my goal of rest!) Images:

Math-Nerds on Vacation OR Daddy-Daughter Homework for Dessert


My handsome husband on Blackcomb Mt, Whistler, B.C.

Biking at Whistler, B.C. (approx. 12k)

John (my husband) and his older sister Lynn at Lost Lake
(We hiked to it and around it.)


If you couldn't tell, it was late spring "off-season" at Whistler for us this year. 
17 family members went.
We talked long, laughed hard, stayed up late, woke up early, and enjoyed every moment.
It was one of the best weeks of the year so far!


Do you have goals?
And, how do you tackle them?

If you would like to write a 5 Reasons post, please look at the list and consider e-mailing me about September or October.















28 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was like a family reunion!
Looking forward to the new series. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

It was definitely a family reunion vacation! We take one every year.

I'm honored that you're going to be a part of the series, Alex!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Well done on all you've accomplished already, and good luck going forward! :)

I'm working on my 5 Reasons post!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to reading your post.

cleemckenzie said...

I believe in those rest periods. Without them we can't reach any other of our goals.

Tyrean Martinson said...

That's so true. I felt like I had more energy even before the trip, just knowing I had a rest coming.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Finding the right balance is so hard. I feel like when I am doing one thing well, other things are sliding. But I'm with you, the family stuff is non-negotiable. It has to be done.

I downloaded your vacation devotional. I thought that would be good to keep me feeling balanced this summer.

Spanj said...

Looks like you've been really busy, and glad to hear you have your momentum back with your novel. Make the most of it!

Sarah Foster said...

Sounds like you've been busy. Even if you didn't reach your word count, that's still impressive!

Tyrean said...

Thanks for your encouragement and support, Elizabeth!!! You are so wonderful!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Glad to know that you are working on your new novel. I have also been writing a lot this month. The photographs are awesome.

Misha Gerrick said...

I think you did great! Even if you came in slightly under goal, you came close. :-D

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Those mountains are so beautiful. I miss seeing real mountains.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you, Sarah! I've been slogging away at it.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you, Rachna!!!
I'm glad you're writing a lot!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Misha! Yes, it was close . . . and I still have to add Saturday's word count.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Mountains are incredibly gorgeous. I can't take credit for them - my phone camera can't mess up that much beauty.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful family vacation! What a great way to recharge. Congrats on all your progress! BTW, I enjoyed reading your interview on Tony Breeden's site.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I love family vacations. We're going to Allegheny State Park in a couple of weeks with the entire extended family. Today my goal is to watch my little 2 mo. old granddaughter get baptized!

Trisha said...

I wouldn't be too disappointed with April's word count if I were you! Great job.

Good luck with May's goals :)

Chemist Ken said...

Balancing writing and life can be a juggling act. The most important thing is to set a goal and stick with it. Now that it's May, I'm already feeling like my end of year goals are in jeopardy. Good luck.

JEN Garrett said...

Don't beat yourself up about not making your goals. Remember, you are much farther than you would have been if you'd never started.

Heather R. Holden said...

Oh, what a fascinating picture from National Geographic. No wonder it inspired you! And that's awesome about all the short stories you've been able to churn out lately. Hope the positive responses ultimately outweigh the negative ones! Your accomplishments in general are incredibly impressive to me, so best of luck achieving just as much in May, if not more!

Romance Book Haven said...

Such beautiful photos. Loved the virtual tour. All the best with your goals!

Crystal Collier said...

Sounds to me like you're doing epic things. Way to keep moving forward! You rock.

Juneta key said...

Happy IWSG Day. Goals, yup, one at a time, not always successful, but I keep at it. Great photos. Congrats on being such a busy writing bee, you go!

Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

J Lenni Dorner said...

Great pictures. Keep working on those goals. Looks like you did okay this month.