Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Insecure Writer's Support Group #2



The Insecure Writers' Support Group, started and hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh, strikes again!

Today, I wasn't sure what to write for this group.

You see, I do have insecurities as a writer, but today I have some fruits of success to report. It feels ironic/paradoxical . . . or just odd to report that my poem "here or there" has been published today online at Every Day Poets.

In his post, Alex admitted that he hasn't always dreamed of being an author, and yet he has found success.

I have dreamed about being a writer for years, but I have to admit I haven't always put in the hours needed to hone my writing. I daydream about my writing more than I actually get writing done. I have a tough time focusing on one project for long periods of time.

In fact, right now I'm trying to finish my revision of The Crystal Sword, but the last few days I've worked more on character files and writing warm ups for the next NaNo, coming next month. I was tripping along at 1,000 or more words of revision a day, and now 4 days have gone by, and ooops - I've been writing 600 words a day of "other stuff" that has little to do with The Crystal Sword.

So, to echo Alex's post, sometimes when I have success I feel like maybe I don't deserve it. And, sometimes when I am almost done with a project, I have a tough time seeing it to the end when something new and exciting is beckoning just around the corner.

If you can, please take a moment and check out "here or there" at Every Day Poets today - it's only as good as the editing help I received from the editors at Every Day Poets. Thank you editors!


"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

14 comments:

Karen Lange said...

Will hop over and check out your poem. Congrats! I find I am up and down, to some degree, with my writing. If I have a a general bad day (writing and otherwise) and get a rejection or two, I struggle. But I can never stray far from the keyboard; this is part of my calling, and I am thankful. :)

Summer Ross said...

Congrats on the publication and I understand what you mean about not feeling like you deserve it. i go through the same thing. But guess what You do deserve it and shouldn't let yourself tell you otherwise.

Carol Riggs said...

Good luck with your NaNo prep!! Keep up the hard work. Love your Proverbs quote too. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've put in the work - you've earned a sense of accomplishment!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Congrats on your poem getting some positive attention. Win!

Angie said...

Nice poem, Tyrean. You do deserve your success!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Karen - Thanks! I am thankful too, for those word images that just won't let me go, and for the story ideas that keep driving me back to the keyboard, and for cool blogging buddies like you. Thanks!

Summer - Thanks, and thanks for the encouragement!

Carol - Thank you! I actually grabbed that quote because I kept seeing it on Karen's blogs and couldn't get it out of my mind.

Alex - Thanks! You too!

Michael - Thank you.

L.G. Smith - Thanks!

Angie - Thank you! I appreciate your sweet encouragement.

Joanne said...

Congrats! Well done!
Blessings, Joanne

KM Nalle said...

Congratulations on your poem, I'll stop by and check it out. I also struggle with committment to writing one thing regularly. I usually end up breaking the goals I set for myself. Good luck with NaNo!

Brianna said...

Congratulations on your poem!

I also daydream a lot about my book. Lately it seems like that is all my book is -a silly daydream, but it's up to me to put in the effort to change that!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Joanne - Thanks!

Kari Marie - Thank you! Goals are hard to keep on a daily basis - somehow admitting my issues with my WIP helped yesterday - I ended up putting in 1,500 words of revision last night. I hope you find success with your writing goals too.

Brianna - Thanks! Daydreams just need foundations under them - and you can do it!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I can usually feel the satisfaction of my accomplishments, but I hold my breath to see how well received they are. Darkspell releases this October 31st and I've been scrambling to get word out there. I still feel no corners looming from my dark tunnel of fear despite the shiny 5 star review I've had already.

Will doubt ever end? :(



♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

S. L. Hennessy said...

Hi, new follower and fellow insecure writer here. I have to say, I am the same way. I often dream about being a writer more than I actually work at it. Maybe because I like telling stories but always don;t love WRITING them. But I think the best thing for writers like us is to remind ourselves that, like any other job, being a writer is hard work, and we have to keep at it.
Great post! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only writer struggling with these issues!
- http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/