Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dancing and Communion?

Giggle, giggle, giggle.
I love my daughters, and here I am, surrounded by their giggles, giggling with them, as I blog, and they struggle with a Wii game.

We've been up since 6:45 this morning. With stage makeup applied before 8a.m., we drove for forty minutes to a dance competition. Thankfully we were there early as it took two tries to finish the final touch of their stage makeup - fake eyelashes. Early enough still to watch some of the competitors dancing before them, my daughters went from sleepy to excited, the kind of excited that can only be seen back stage at performances. If you've ever danced, acted or sung, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't, take any kid on a sugar rush, put them in an auditorium with 200 other kids on the same sugar rush, and then keep them hyper for several hours . . . and I still don't think that would reach the level of excitement we experienced this morning.

After their awesome dance performance, my daughters and I hurried out to our car, and drove down the road to meet my husband as he drove to meet us after worship. We ate fast food, exchanged hugs and kisses, and then my oldest daughter and I went to a special after church class with our Pastor on communion, while my husband and youngest daughter returned to the competition to attend the award ceremony.

Our church has a "Faith Stepping Stone" program in which kids are introduced to different Biblical concepts in different years. These classes are usually 6-8 hours spread out over 3-4 weeks and include fun games, laughter and Biblical study. This year, my oldest daughter is going to the Communion Stepping Stone class.

Despite her love of performing, and her love of dance, my daughter enjoyed our first week of Communion class so much, she wanted to be sure and make it there today.

Unlike the old days of my youth, everyone is welcome at the communion table during worship - young, old, member, and non-member. My oldest daughter started taking communion when she was two and a half, at a friend's ordination. We've talked about communion many times, since I wanted her to know that it wasn't just "snack time" at worship. The Communion Class is a way of digging deep in the Bible to find out why we do this "Communion thing", and why it isn't just snack time.

So, what in the world do dance competitions and communion have in common? Is there a common thread at all?

Well, yes, if you count joy as a common thread.

We came from the dance competition on a "high" of adrenaline and excitement that carried us throughout our drive, and through communion class where this concept resonated with me: Communion is a joyful event, where we take bread and wine/juice in rememberance and thanks (joyful thanks) for Christ's loving sacrifice for us.

Then there was this question: who would you like to bring with you to the communion table?

Everyone! Really. I wish I could have brought the entire dance competition to the communion table today. And everyone that reads my blog. And everyone that I know, and run into every day.

Jesus loves each of us so much that he gave his body and blood for the forgiveness of our sins. I Love remembering and thanking him for that. I love it so much, I could just get up and dance!

No comments: