Wednesday, August 7, 2024

IWSG, AI, and Some Photos from Realm Makers and St. Louis



Happy IWSG Day!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!
Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.
 
The awesome co-hosts for the August 7 posting of the IWSG are Feather Stone, Kim Lajevardi, Diedre Knight, C. Lee McKenzie, and Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen!
Many thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for starting this hop!

In addition to this IWSG Post, I wanted to share some photos with you from my recent trip to St. Louis for Realm Makers so those are at the end. 

Yes, there’s a lot here. Please feel free to skip to the sections you want to see.

The IWSG Question was worded as follows: Do you use AI in your writing and if so how? Do you use it for your posts? Incorporate it into your stories? Use it for research? Audio?

My Overall View of AI: God is greater. Human creativity is more imaginative. Human relationships are more important. Many aspects of life are more important to me than AI. But it is a tool and we need to consider how we view it, and how we use it. Human creativity is always going to win the day. Believing that, and sticking with that, is going to help us alleviate the issues surrounding AI use. I’m not saying “let’s stick our heads in the sand,” but I am saying, let’s be positive and refocus the way we view AI - as a tool.

AI use as a tool is widespread already: Unless you are currently using pen and paper, you are using AI. If you are reading this on a smartphone or a laptop or a desktop or a screen hooked to the internet, you are using AI. If you use autofill, you are using AI. If you use email, you are using AI. If you use search engines, you are using AI. If you use Amazon, you are using AI. If you are using social media, you are using AI. If you use Google translate, you are using AI.

From a faith and creativity perspective: I have heard Pastors speak in favor of AI use and I have heard Christians say it’s the work of the devil and users are turning their mind over to evil. I’ve heard proponents share how much AI tools have improved their creative life and I’ve hear naysayers say it is killing creativity. Either side of the argument is not new to me.

To me, AI is a tool and will always be a tool, until we decide to give it more power over our minds, hearts, and creativity. By fearing it, by judging or bullying those who have used it in some measure or another, I think we are giving it more power than we need to.

How have I used it:

Have I used it to write a blog post? No.

Have I used it to brainstorm and do bits of research? Yeah.

Have I used it for writing? I experimented with it, but I like my own creativity more. I would rather write because I love to write.

Have I used it for grammar issues? Yep. Prowriting aid is one of the tools I use regularly - although I rarely do for blog posts. That may change in the future.

Have I used it to create art for fun? Yeah.

Have I used it to create book covers? Not wholesale, no.

Have I used it to create book cover elements? I tried it, but wasn’t happy with the results. However, this may change. I’m going to be honest. I already have Canva Pro and I use their design templates for books and then rearrange elements, using their stock art (paid for art) and their design tools. I also don’t have a ton of money from previous book sales to put into this area, regardless if said previous books had professional art or I made the covers on my own. Some of my own covers have brought in better sales.

I like being human. I’m messy. I’m quirky. I also don’t mind using AI tools. I don’t plan on it taking over my life or allowing it to whisper to my soul and suck me down into a fiery pit - partly because I don’t think either of those is possible. I have a choice, as does each person reading this.

Pictures from my trip to St. Louis and Realm Makers - more are out on my IG page.

And one of my favorite photos from the St. Louis Museum was a particular one from their ancient weapons exhibit. Note how tall the double-handed broadsword is compared to my husband. (And yes, we're short, but not that short. That sword was huge.)

I write fantasy with plenty of sword-fighting, so I’m always happy to admire an old sword on display at a museum.


What are your thoughts on AI?

Have you done anything fun lately?



Links:

The Truth About Storytelling on RSS

Substack Newsletter

Tyrean’s Tales Website

Summer Fantasy Adventures Book Funnel

Blaster Cannons, Aliens, Space Opera, and Really Big Ships Book Funnel

Noblebright Scifi and Fantasy Book Funnel

13 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I went to that museum years and years ago. I remember loving it, though. And I totally take pictures of ancient weapons anywhere I see them. :)

Leigh Caron said...

Love the photos from The Realm Makers. It looked like a fun time. I do use AI for some things like grammer and spelling checks...just not for my writing.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Great photos! AI is here, we need to learn how it's used so we know what we want and what we don't. I used AI for elements for my book cover, but yeah, I had to go in and "fix, delete, draw new, etc." -- even the simple things.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

What a fun trip.

AI is just a tool, not something good or evil.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I agree with you that Al is a tool. And I loved your pictures. It looks like a fun trip.

Sarah Foster said...

I don't think AI could ever be as good as human creativity, but it can be a useful tool.
Awesome pics! Glad you had a good time on your trip.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Museum photos are indeed a must.
Regarding AI, as you mentioned, perspective is key. When I write something, I want to project my ideas on a topic not regurgitate a machine's perspective.
https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/2024/08/iwsg-focus-on-ai-for-writers.html

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Blogger has been eating my comments today!
AI is indeed just a tool.
Looks like you had fun.

kimlajevardi.com said...

It looks like you had a great time.

Nick Wilford said...

Great photos! Looks like so much fun. Yeah, important to keep AI in perspective. I'm sure it doesn't mean the doom of human creativity.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - yes ... I rather like your model! It looks like you both had a lovely time - with appropriate educative interludes. AI is interesting and I'm sure we're all using it all the time - we can't help it but we don't know ... I'm amazed at how fast the world is turning ... I think I'll hang on as best I can - I have enough problem keeping my own head in order, let alone something released into my life ... take care and all the best - Hilary

J.Q. Rose said...

I am standing up and applauding your piece on AI as a tool. Yes, it is a tool. And it's a fun tool or an exasperating one. Just like every other tool for me in my author toolbox. LOL...I am not familiar with Realm Makers. It looks like fun! A convention for fantasy readers and writers? I enjoyed the pics. Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

"God is greater. Human creativity is more imaginative."

This says it all!