Wednesday, June 5, 2024

IWSG - What are writers looking for in a writer website?

 

Insecure Writer's Support GroupA database resource site and support group for writers and authors. Featuring weekly guests and tips, a monthly blogfest gathering, a Facebook group, a book club, and thousands of links – all to benefit writers!

 #IWSG Website / Facebook Group / Twitter / Book Club
Reedsy Discount 


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!



The awesome co-hosts for the June 5 posting of the IWSG areLiza at Middle Passages, Shannon Lawrence, Melissa Maygrove, and Olga Godim!
Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 


June 5 question - In this constantly evolving industry, what kind of offering/service do you think the IWSG should consider offering to members?

I'm rephrasing that question a bit: What are authors looking for from writing websites like IWSG?

I know I have found the community and general encouragement of IWSG to be what I am looking for here. But, I do know that I also enjoy reading the 20Booksto50K posts on Facebook, and I found them rather late in the game (just last year), and there are a number of helpful bits of advice/thoughts/questions for authors who are in the trenches of their work, and who are asking craft, publishing, and marketing questions, or sharing insights on what has worked for them.

That is something we have at IWSG as well, and I like that, but I would love to see more community involvement with those kinds of specifics.

I know we all write different genres and may be coming to this from different places in our careers, but I think we can continually benefit from some idea/tip swaps about specifics with craft, publishing, and marketing. These could be on the website, but also here in our monthly hops.

What do you think we need for the IWSG website? What offering/service do you want to see offered, if any?

Also, I am taking part in two Book Funnels for June, and they are as follows:


Author Help Books features ten books for writers, including
 A Pocket-Sized Jumble of 500+ Writing Prompts.

Fierce Fantasy includes 140 books of Fantasy Fiction which range from epic to urban. 
Many authors in this group are new to me, so I plan on picking up new reads, and I recommend checking out Karyne Norton's Blood of the Stars, along with my book Champion in Flight.

My podcast is ongoing through my Substack and other platforms. My favorite episode I've done so far was on character names. 

Thanks for joining me for this post!

12 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

More focused, topic-based discussions would be a good idea. Someone mentioned Zoom meetings, but they need to be worked out along the lines of time zones etc. Lots to think about!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I would like to get more people involved. There have been some great suggestions today.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Your idea about talking more about member's questions or offering craft tips is a good one.

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm always interested in learning how other writers go through the process and hearing about their experiences and what has worked for them.

Hope the book funnels are going well!

Fundy Blue said...

Happy IWSG Day, Tyrean. You shared some good ideas. Have a good IWG Day!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Nick - yes, lots to think about. :)

Alex - yes, that would be great!

Natalie - thanks!

MJ - Yes, I love learning about the way we each do things.

Fundy - Happy IWSG day!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We would certainly like to see more involvement.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Diane - I agree. I struggled the last quarter or so, with a different schedule for various commitments, but I am working at getting back to commenting on blogs.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Insights and tips would be nice -- and maybe instead of a question one month it might be a tip month or what's your process month.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I like the idea of those insights and tips included in the monthly hops.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - the community is great isn't it. I like the idea we have now ... of the question, but good idea re including a tip too - having a question - keeps the door open for everyone to expand their thoughts. cheers and thanks everyone - Hilary

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm always up for learning, especially about the craft of writing. :)