Wednesday, January 5, 2022

IWSG January 2022: Regret, Winners, Personal Note, Journaling

Contents of this post:

IWSG
On a personal note
Journaling

IWSG

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement. We post the first Wednesday of every month. I encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs.

The awesome co-hosts for the January 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, Olga Godim, Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster, and Chemist Ken!


OPTIONAL QUESTION: January 5 question - What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?

My short answer: My tendency to leap out of the gate with my books has caused me the most regret with self-publishing. 

I've overcome this by getting some professional editing. This does not mean that my books are mistake free, but they are closer than they were without professional editing. 

Ironically and conversely, with short story and poetry writing, my biggest regret is not sending things out quickly. I have had stories with errors in them get accepted for publication after I work with the editors to fix them, so while I am not advocating sending short stories and poems out without any kind of edit, I know from personal experience that my own private editing is usually good enough for short stories and poems to find their way into the world. What matters most in the short story and poetry world of publication through magazines is reading the specifics of a publication's submission guidelines and then following those guidelines as best as possible. 

IWSG Anthology

And with that, I offer my great congratulations to the winners of the 2021 IWSG Anthology Contest: The Art of Making Donuts!

The Art of Making Doughnuts - Linda Budzinski
Paper Faces - Sylvia Ney
The Real Thing - Sammi Spizziri
My Heart Approves - Melissa Maygrove
Oliver’s Girl - Michael Di Gesu
Clyde and Coalesce - Kim Chan
My First Love(s) - Templeton Moss
How to Save a Princess - Katie Klein
The Castle of Ohno - SE White
Marmalade Sunset - Denise Covey

 



#IWSGPit is this month!




If you’ve never participated in a Twitter pitch party, this is your chance.

Dozens have signed book contracts as a result – you could be next.

Visit the #IWSGPit page for the rules and hashtags. And then join us on January 26!

On a personal note:

On a personal note, if you have seen my recent Facebook posts, then you know 2022 started out with a whollop for me. My mom went to the ER twice and the second time stayed the night. My dad had major dental surgery while she was in the hospital. Appointments followed. I cleaned their house and found some hard evidence of memory loss and confusion. My mom admitted to not knowing which side of the road she needs to drive on and my dad's hands are getting harder for him to use. Major conversations and decisions are at work about long-term care. So, this is to say, I may or may not be quick to reply here or to visit your blogs. I will do my best and will probably come visit late.

Journaling

When life overwhelms, I journal. When life is good, I journal. I use my journal to vent, create, list out what needs to be done for the day/week/month/year, write poetry, write short story starts, write out plot points, and brainstorm more general ideas. I take notes on Bible studies, sermons, and devotionals. I write down my current favorite quotes. I write reflections and stories from real life.

According to numerous studies, journaling can help people process emotions, increase/retain memory, and increase/retain creativity. I have found all of this to be true in my own journaling life.

And so, whatever type of writing you do, essay, story, poetry, novel, scriptwriting, I recommend journaling for life, for creativity, for your mindset. It has helped me find the silver lining in the stormy days, and it has helped me retain my creative spark in the mud of life. 

This is my writing tip/encouragement for the month: try journaling. 

And, if you don't feel comfortable with it, try list-journaling, talk-to-text journaling, or art journaling. There are many methods for journaling out there.


Also, I will be posting some slightly different content via my newsletter. When I finish it for this month, it will include some info about vision boards, motivational playlists, news about what I've been writing, and a small repeat about journaling. If you are interested in any of that, please subscribe HERE.


23 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Sending all the hugs your way, Tyrean. Dealing with aging parents can be overwhelming and so very time consuming (and heart consuming as well).

Congrats to the anthology winners! Excited to see some friends in the group!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you, Jemi!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Definitely sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Hang in there as best you can and please take care!

cleemckenzie said...

It seems life doesn't play very fair with us, does it? It would be challenging enough to have your mother hospitalized, but then add in all the other factors, and you've got a plate that's overflowing. I'm so sorry, and my thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

I set aside my journal after my husband died, but I am thinking about taking it up again. Maybe by setting out what has happened over these three years will help. Journaling is a good way to deal with things that are out to overwhelm you.


Natalie Aguirre said...

My heart goes out to you for needing to start helping your parents more. I know what it's like because I'm been taking care of my mom, who is now in asssting living, for a number of years.

And I think a lot of self-published authors published at least one novel too early. Good you learned from the experience.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for what you're going through with your parents. I've been there with a parent and spouse - it's challenging, to say the least.

I'm glad you're encouraging journaling. I've done it for years, and it does help sort the soul.

Christine Rains said...

Sending positive thoughts to you and your family. I have learned the same lesson from self-publishing. A good editor is vital!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a lot to deal with regarding your parents. At least they admitted they need help. Hope you find it for them.
Congratulations to the anthology winners!

Helen said...

It looks like you are finding ways to cope with all that life has been sending your way. Hope you can settle your parents to every one's benefit. And those journals are going to be useful later if you decide to write any of those feelings into a story.

M.J. Fifield said...

Hope things are going all right with your parents. It's a lot to deal with (physically & emotionally) so I'm sending you & your family lots of positive vibes. Take care of yourselves!

Sarah Foster said...

I'm sorry about everything going on with your parents. I hope everything gets sorted out soon.
Journaling sounds like a wonderful way to deal with overwhelming times and spark creativity! I should try it.

Erika Beebe said...

I’ve been praying for your whole family. I think journaling is a wonderful way to process. Big hugs to you and happy IWSG Day :)

Jenni said...

I'm sorry about what's going on with your parents. Will keep your family in my prayers. I've been doing more journaling and just writing by hand. I tend to do better when I'm handwriting, and it's very calming, whether I'm writing in a journal or writing a scene.

Chemist Ken said...

I've never been one to leap out of the gate because I'm such a slow writer.

Hope you get things settled with your parents. That can't be a fun process to face, and it may take a long time for things to get sorted out.

Good luck with your family and have a Happy 2022!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thinking of you and the decisions you face.

I've never been good at journaling, but maybe it's time to get back to it. Maybe it will help get things out of my system so I don't say/type them to other people since I have filter issues.

The Warrior Muse

Chrys Fey said...

I am so sorry you're going through that with your parents. I'm going through something similar, but different. I just haven't shared all the details yet. In a way, I'm still processing. So I understand the need to take time to returning visits and comments. Take your time! I am praying for you and your family. Take care!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's rough when you have to deal with both parents with issues. I had to put my mom in assisted living but there was just no other way.

I used to journal when I was younger. I should pick it back up again.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Dear Tyrean - I do hope things go forward easily for all of you - a challenging time, particularly now. Take care and with thoughts ... it's great journaling helps ... something I don't do, and I doubt I will ... but at least you have that to fall back on. All the very best - Hilary

H. R. Sinclair said...

I wish you and your family well and my thoughts are with you. Journaling is such a helpful activity. {{{hugs}}}

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI Tyrean,

I am sorry for your parents. It is so hard when one gets old. I have been praying for them. I read your FB posts.

Journaling sounds like a wonderful idea. I have from time to time, but not enough. I think I will try it again and keep with it this time. Life these days are stressful to many of us, and I believe that journaling will help me, too.

Stay well.

Congrats to the other authors in the Anthology. I am privileged to be among them!

WIshing everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous new year!

Lori said...

I agree! Having a journal is great.

Best wishes to you and your parents

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I feel for your situation, having been there in the past. The decisions are so difficult.

I make lists when life tries to overwhelm me. It helps organize my thoughts.

Michelle Wallace said...

Happy New Year, Tyrean!

I've never journaled. But I know the value of journaling.
I've actually considered starting a journal exercise with my grade 8 class first thing in the morning but I'm not sure that the time will allow for this, and there's a curriculum to complete. Maybe this would be a way for me to get into the habit. I'll give it some thought. We'll see.