Wednesday, January 8, 2020

January 2020 #TheIWSG

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Co-hosted this month by: 
T. Powell Coltrin, Victoria Marie Lees, Stephen Tremp, Renee Scattergood, and J.H. Moncrieff!


IWSG AND MY WRITING JOURNEY


OPTIONAL QUESTION:  What started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher/coach/spouse/friend/parent? Did you just "know" suddenly you wanted to write?

When I was really small, my grandmother told me stories from her childhood, and mixed in some fairy tales. My parents read to me and told me stories. I wanted to tell stories, but struggled with getting the words out in the right order.

My first short story I remember feeling good about included a top hat that sang and danced (3rd grade).

In sixth grade, a teacher asked me if I wanted to be an author during a creative writing unit. She encouraged me to keep writing and working at my skill. In seventh, eight, ninth, and tenth grades, I had teachers who encouraged me to write and grow into my potential as a would-be author. The trend continued in college. And yet, I still doubted. All the time. (More on that in a moment.)

The earliest story worlds which amazed me as a child included: Peter Pan's Neverland, Star Wars, fairy tales and folk tales, the Bible,  Middle Earth, and Narnia. I wanted to write stories like those. I still do.

I love to write. It's bone deep, built into my soul, my memories, my DNA - a combination of nature and nurture.

But, so much of my life I have wasted with self-doubt. When we doubt the passion, purpose, and work God has given us, we lose sight of who we really are.

I am super thankful for the people in my life who have encouraged and supported me - that includes all of my IWSG buddies! Thank you!!!

So, my main goal this year is: Creative Confidence (in Christ).
My secondary goal is the same as last year's primary goal: Small Steps.

All other goals fit under those - even my fantasy/speculative writer mission statement.

 I came up with a statement for why I write fantasy because I have been asked why I write fantasy as a Christian. Here it is:

I write fantasy for the children who walk into the school library at lunch recess and the teens who go there during lunch, after they've been pushed on the playground or had tobacco chew spit on their locker. I write to remind them that evil can be defeated with a bucket of water, a lion's roar, an arrow to the heart of a dragon, or a bar of chocolate.

I believe in Jesus as the ultimate hero, but I know fantasy is a great way to show evil overcome by Good. I know because even though I knew the truth of God's love, I was the kid who was pushed and the teen who found tobacco chew spit on my locker. I went to the school library for an escape and needed the reminder that dragons can be defeated by Good. 

(This is not meant as a tiny violin whine "my life was so bad" but as the reason I know fantasy can be meaningful.)

THE NEWS FOR IWSG THIS MONTH IS FULL OF AWESOME!


The IWSG made the Write Life List!!!



Voyagers: The Third Ghost is coming on May 5, 2020!

Congrats to all of the authors who made it into the anthology!

The IWSG Twitter Pitch is next week!!!

Are you ready?

Tip: Ask other authors for help refining your pitch and query!




The IWSG Goodreads Book Club is reading On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft this month!





THE IWSG Instagram plan for January is already going! 





My Writing News:

As you may have heard, I had two poems published in Z Publishing's Washington's Best Emerging Poets of 2019 book! 






25 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Creative Confidence (in Christ) - perfect!
That is an awesome statement. No matter what anyone is going through, God is bigger than the problem. And He always will be.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I think both your main goal and secondary goal are excellent. Good luck to you!

And congratulations on the poems!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - so true!

Madeline - Thank you!

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations on your poems! How wonderful.
Unfortunately I can relate to your self-doubt. Love your reasons for writing fantasy, very inspiring.

Erika Beebe said...

I love your outlook. Baby steps and Faith. :)

Ellen Jacobson said...

Wonderful goals for 2020! I agree that fantasy can be a really powerful genre, especially when it depicts good triumphing over evil. We need more of that in our world.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I'm a Christian, too. I can't imagine living in the world and not having God's power over me. Without him, I'm too scared. :)

I love your story of how you started writing.

Teresa

krystal jane said...

There's a quote you've probably heard that I really like. It's something like, "stories are important, not because they contain dragons, but because they show us that dragon can be defeated." I escaped into books a lot as a kid. No one spit tobacco on my locker! But yeah, similar bullying. Even now, there's no bullying, and I still need to a fantasy world to escape in sometimes, because every once in a while, life feels a little overwhelming.

Sarah Foster said...

Congrats on the poems!
I can definitely relate to the self-doubt. I know it's held me back from accomplishing things.

CWMartin said...

Awesome goal, awesome reasoning! My prayers will be for you to succeed in achieving this confidence!

emaginette said...

Congrats on your success and this bright shiny attitude. 2020 will be your year.

Anna from elements of emaginette

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Jesus is indeed the ultimate hero!

Chemist Ken said...

Fantasy allows us to use the brain God gave us to stimulate our imaginations. It's fantasy that can show us how good overcomes evil.

cleemckenzie said...

I was totally taken by the top hat that danced! I think you should revisit that one day. Thanks for your story, Tyrean. I loved it.

Tonja Drecker said...

Wonderful goals and I couldn't agree with your ultimate hero more. Have a blessed New Year!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Shoot. Every month, I forget something. I forgot the new anthology cover in my post and the instagram chart. I need a checklist!

As far as I'm concerned, Christians need to be everywhere there are people who might need a message of hope. I once worried that my stories are mainstream and not the sweet, clean kind. Then I mentioned my concerns to a lady at church whom I respect immensely and she told me to write the stories that come to me- a blend of message and broken humans. She told me she gave my books to her granddaughter who would read them, but that she would never read a sweet romance.

Write the stories that are in your heart. I believe prayerful people are led by the spirit.

R's Rue said...

I appreciate and applause your answer. Keep going.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Bravo, Tyrean, for having two poems included in the anthology. And bravo for you thinking positive and always writing and creating. Please know that sometimes we all feel we've "wasted [our lives] with self-doubt" in this creative endeavor called writing. At least I do. Many times! I wish you health and success in 2020!

Juneta key said...

I loved your writing journey story. Some of my faves have been Christian. I am Christian FYI... Og Mandino, C. S. Lewis. J. R. R. Tolkien, although I don't know if consider Christian I bought several of her books in a Christian book store L. M Montgomery the Anne series and several more by her. I am late making the rounds. Happy IWSG!

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Tyrean! I enjoyed reading what led you to writing. As a retired teacher, it is always good to hear that someone has had encouraging teachers coming up through school. Wishing you a year of happiness, writing success, and self-belief!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - it's great you're writing and continue to write for yourself, your family and us ... take care and enjoy the stories to come in 2020 - cheers Hilary

Heather R. Holden said...

Aw, love reading about your writing journey. (That top hat story sounds so cute!) Your reasons for loving fantasy are simply inspiring. That genre is definitely fantastic at showcasing how good can triumph over evil!

And that's awesome about your latest poem publications! Many congrats!

Cathrina Constantine said...

I LOVE THIS ~~~ I write fantasy for the children who walk into the school library at lunch recess and the teens who go there during lunch, after they've been pushed on the playground or had tobacco chew spit on their locker. I write to remind them that evil can be defeated with a bucket of water, a lion's roar, an arrow to the heart of a dragon, or a bar of chocolate.

I believe in Jesus as the ultimate hero, but I know fantasy is a great way to show evil overcome by Good. I know because even though I knew the truth of God's love, I was the kid who was pushed and the teen who found tobacco chew spit on my locker. I went to the school library for an escape and needed the reminder that dragons can be defeated by Good.

YOU INSPIRE ME, TYREAN!!!

Thank you for co-hosting.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

What a beautiful post. Words fail me right now. I'm so grateful you decided to co-host this month, Tyrean. You are a huge inspiration! God Bless!

Loni Townsend said...

My parents encouraged me to get into Christian fantasy growing up. Though I tried a few YA books, most of my interest led me to Frank Peretti. I'm pretty sure I was reading those when I was 12 or 13. Maybe you'll be an inspiration to the next generation of kids like me.