Wednesday, November 6, 2019

#TheIWSG and #NaNoWriMo: Here Be Dragon Slayers


Sorry for posting late, I had this partially prepped and then forgot to schedule it. 

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. I encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs.


The awesome founder of this hop is Alex J. Cavanaugh and his co-hosts today are Sadira Stone, Patricia Josephine, Lisa Buie-Collard, Erika Beebe, and C. Lee McKenzie!

OPTIONAL QUESTION FOR NOVEMBER: What's the strangest thing you've ever googled in researching a story? 
I ended up not using it (yet) but I researched the haka, a Maori dance, for my superhero-novel-series-project-that-may-never-get-finished. My main character is part-Maori, part-Scottish-American with some alien DNA. I've also researched habitable planets in the Milky Way for that project (there are none what we know of, but I can still "dream" right?).

For my current WIP, one odd thing I have researched: maps which feature the notation "Here Be Dragons." It turns out, there's only one and it's a small globe. The rest of the ancient maps just have drawings of dragons, mermaids, and rhinos (?!).

NaNoWriMo: Here Be Dragon Slayers
I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo 2019, the 20th year edition of NaNoWriMo. I really appreciate the end of the year, kick in the pants I get from NaNoWriMo. Whether I win or lose, I learn from the process of writing and plotting, and thinking about noveling in an intense way all month long.

I am writing about a traditional fantasy trope: dragon slayers.
Unlike the traditional dragon slayers, I decided to hang out with my favorite dragon slayer whose name is Mel aka Melisan Winter, an orphaned young woman who kills dragons with a variety of weapons but never with a sword, and her business partner and sidekick, Gavin Summer, also an orphan. If you think they are in a romantic relationship, think again. They are best friends, business partners, and they both have their eyes out for others ... (so, romance will happen, but not with each other).

Mel and Gavin will probably meet up with another dragon slayer by the name of Mad Maud, a character from a previous short story "Of Words and Swords" which can be found in the 2017 IWSG Fantasy Anthology: Mysteries of Death and Life. However, this is not Maud's main story. I haven't quite decided where he's going to land yet, other than as a reluctant mentor to these two.

A few fantasy tropes will be used, twisted, and re-imagined. There is a "chosen one" but it's not who you think. Dragon slaying will occur, but not quite on purpose every time, and well, it gets more complicated when a particular character comes on the stage. Not every dragon looks like a dragon and not every dragon is a dragon ...

I am actually plotting and pants-ing as I go. I have plot points. I am following them like guidelines and sign posts. I am following Save the Cat Writes a Novel ... mostly.











19 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Yeh for NaNo! I'm participating again this year, too, and having a blast so far. :)

Sadira Stone said...

Best of luck with your dragonny NANO project!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Madeline - me, too! I decided to have as much fun as possible with it. :)

Sadira - Thank you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can always use a good dragon story.
No planets we could live on in our galaxy? That's a bummer.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I like your attitude about NaNo. You're strengthening your writing skills and in many ways that is the way I see NaNo.
Wishing you ll the best and that achieve a good handle on your dragon slayer story.

Have a happy November.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Never written a dragon story... now there’s a thought! Good luck with Nano 🤗

Erika Beebe said...

I'm sure your new fantasy work will be wonderful. I've never tried to write about dragons. And I like your research. It's vivid and detailed and those types of research paths help make characters more believable :) Happy IWSG DAY :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

The haku sounds interesting. Good luck with your writing this month. Hope you get a lot done.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

That's usually how I write- plot points from beginning to end, how it happens in each scene unfolds as I go.

Good luck with NaNo!

Sarah Foster said...

Good luck with your NaNo project! That's cool that you're tying Maud into the story.

krystal jane said...

Good luck with NaNo! I’m plotting-pantsing as well, as well. ^_^ And also writing, rewriting, and editing. It’s going well so far.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm still looking for really good fantasy stories...

emaginette said...

You could try 'Golidlocks Planets' next time your Google. With a bit of imagination you might find what you need. Good luck. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

M.J. Fifield said...

I like that NaNoWriMo motivation boost, too. I love to use NaNo to help me work through a first draft. I'm less inclined to get hung up on making every sentence 'perfect' and more about generating story.

Hope NaNo continues to treat you well this month! Happy writing!

Olga Godim said...

Your story sounds amazing. I love dragons. Happy NaNo!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I love the sound of your dragon slayer book for nano. Sounds like my kind of read :)

Claire Sheldon said...

Can It be classed an achievement that you've never used google to research stuff? There are so many search engines out there its strange how we always think of google has it taken over our planet?

Lynn La Vita said...

I'm thinking your research creates seeds of imagination that sprout at the oddest times. I bet the process serves you well during your NaNo writing.
Lynn La Vita @ Writers Supporting Writers

Diane Burton said...

Good luck with NaNo. Sounds like you have a good handle on the story.