Wednesday, November 16, 2016

5 Reasons to Write About the Paranormal by Christine Rains

Please welcome the amazing Christine Rains to 
the 5 Reasons to Write Series





Thank so much for having me here today, Tyrean! More so, for inviting me to talk about two of my favorite things: writing and the paranormal.

Tyrean: Thanks for coming by, Christine!


The supernatural has fascinated me since I was a child. I was the kid who wished Halloween was every month, I picked up every scary book and film, and I was the always the first to investigate strange noises in the night. (I wouldn’t last long in a horror movie!) I had to share my love of the paranormal through my stories.


Here are five fantastic reason to write about the paranormal:


1) Escaping reality. Of course every story helps you escape from your every day life, but the paranormal can bring you into a whole new world. You can create a parallel dimension or craft a hidden society of wizards which exists within our mundane world. You aren’t limited by every day rules, but you must always keep in mind the rules of the world you do create.


2) In creating that world, you get to play with countless what-ifs. What if vampires were real and controlled all the major countries’ governments? What if powerful psychics banned together to control the world’s population through their cell phones? I always knew those things were going to land the human race in trouble! You can put forth a lot of food for thought with these what-ifs.


3) Supernatural characters are such fun to play with. Sure, they can shapeshift, have super speed, and can read your mind, but along with the strengths of being paranormal beings, they get the weaknesses. You can stick with the legends and have your vampires unable to go into the sunlight and your werewolves deathly allergic to silver. Or you can create new ways to torment your characters. And since your characters are supernaturally powerful, you can torture them in ways you couldn’t normal humans.


4) Most paranormal tales have elements of mystery and horror in them. It’s such an adrenaline rush to write the scary and suspenseful scenes. I love to get my heart pounding and bring goosebumps to my skin.


5) Wide-eyed wonder. Sometimes it’s difficult to put into words what you’re imagining in your head, especially when it isn’t real. Yet when you do find the right words, not only will you be happy, you will leave your readers in awe. The paranormal can be beautiful and horrifying, but it’s the otherness which attracts us. Every book which has made a lasting impression on me has hit me with this otherness, because I’m seeing something new and wonderful.


If you write paranormal stories, what’s your favorite thing about writing them?

And if you’re a reader, what’s your favorite thing about reading them?


Author Bio:
Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood but make her a great Jeopardy player. She’s a proud member of Untethered Realms and S.C.I.F.I. She has one novel and several novellas and short stories published. Her newest urban fantasy series, Totem, is her biggest project to date and weaves ancient Inuit myths with modern day society.


Newsletter: eepurl.com/3pxgr
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CRainsWriter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorchristinerains

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Christine-Rains/e/B00AZYIAT4/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

A few notes from blog host, Tyrean:
1. "Rain Vigil" at A Story in 100 Words came out on Saturday. Plus, I have a vignette, "I am Patient," getting published in Vine Leaves Literary Journal tomorrow.

2. Children's author Stephanie Faris has a new book out in her Piper Morgan series!
Piper helps some four-legged friends find the perfect home in the third book of the brand-new Piper Morgan series.


3. Remember, if you want to escape reality with some wide-eyed wonder, read Christine!
Her latest book just came out!



No one messes with Saskia Dorn’s family and gets away with it.

The same murderous shifters who had hunted her sister have attempted to steal a magical totem pole. Since the pieces are scattered across Alaska, Saskia, a polar bear shifter, takes her search to the tundra for any signs of the lost totems.

Cloak of Snow - at Amazon

30 comments:

Christine Rains said...

Thanks again for hosting me today, Tyrean! :)

Anonymous said...

Number 1 is why I love writing paranormal. I love escaping from the real world to something fantastic and a bit scary.

Crystal Collier said...

Quick YAY for Stephanie.

Christine, I think you just named EVERYTHING I love about writing paranormal. I think one of my favorite thing is that aspect of humanity. Even with all these fantastic elements, the real stories lies with people and how they change. I think the essence of any story is the human condition that everyone relates to.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Christine, I love that when you were a kid you were the first one to investigate a strange noise. I was the kid busy hiding under the bed. :)

Congrats to Tyrean for her publications, and yeh for Stephanie's new release!

Cherie Reich said...

I love all those you've mentioned, although my favorite reason to write the paranormal is playing with the what ifs. Congrats, Christine!

Julie Flanders said...

I love all of the reasons you mentioned about writing the paranormal. I can't even pick a favorite. Congratulations again on this great new series, Christine!

And congrats on your new publications, Tyrean. Awesome!!

Jacqui said...

Good reasons. You may be changing my mind!

Juneta key said...

Great post and tips. I have always been fascinated with the paranormal since a kid too. I read a lot of it too, lol. Congrats on your book releases.

Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

krystal jane said...

I love being wrapped up in another world! That's the biggest fun of reading for me. Sure, I can escape in a contemporary setting, but it's not nearly as fun for me. You can show aspects of humanity in a paranormal world that you would never see in the "real" world. I don't know if I could explain why I love writing paranormal so clearly - all I know is that it makes me deliriously happy, and that is good enough.

Congratulations to Tyrean and Stephanie!!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Great list, Christine - I completely agree with #5

Congrats on the story in Vine Leaves, Tyrean :-)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Christine - You're welcome!

Patricia - I love escaping from the normal world a little, too!

Crystal - I agree with both you and Christine - the humanity that shines through and the way that troubles can be highlighted in a different setting makes paranormal (and speculative) a great genre!

Madeline - Thanks! I didn't investigate strange noises unless I had friends with me, and then I would make up a scary story and scare them (and myself).

Cherie - What ifs are awesome!

Julie - Thank you!

Jacqui - I know what you mean! Christine makes a good case for paranormal.

Juneta - Thanks for stopping by!

Krytal - Thanks! And, I agree - being wrapped up in a different world is interesting.

Annalisa - thank you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Escape is certainly a good enough reason for me!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I enjoyed putting a bit of paranormal into my story because it's comforting. It's good to believe what we have on this planet isn't just all there is in this world.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - yes, me too! :)

Elizabeth - It is good to believe that. :)

Christine Rains said...

Thank you, everyone! Sounds like we all love a little escapism and wonder. :)

Nicola said...

Fantastic reasons to write. Thanks for sharing those, Christine and best of luck with Cloak of Snow!
Thanks for being such a brilliant hostess Tyrean. Have a lovely week.

Heather R. Holden said...

How exciting to see Christine on your blog today, Tyrean! I absolutely adore paranormal stories and found myself nodding a lot while reading this list. I agree, it's a great form of escapism, and I always have a lot of fun exploring the supernatural side of characters, too. (Especially if those characters had once been human! I'm way too fascinated with how turning supernatural changes 'em, or even downright corrupts them, LOL.)

Chemist Ken said...

Wonder and Horror are what intrigue me in paranormal stories. Not sure I could write them, but I can definitely read them.

Chrys Fey said...

I LOVE to write about the paranormal. I need to do it more often. These 5 reasons are perfect.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

The what-if factor is a big one for me.. and the escape.
Great reasons!!

Loni Townsend said...

Oh yes, I seriously enjoy tormenting my characters. Normal humans are just so fragile. The non-normal ones make much easier targets. ;)

Meradeth Houston said...

Love this list! There's nothing so fun as writing about the paranormal :)

Christine Rains said...

So many lovers of the paranormal! Awesome. :) Thank you to everyone who stopped by today. And another big thank you to Tyrean for hosting me. Have a terrific weekend!

Stephanie Faris said...

Thank you SO much for mentioning me!!!

I haven't ever written paranormal, but I love it in the Twilight Zone/ghost sense. Something about the mystery of things we'll never understand just fascinates me!

Melissa Sugar said...

I've never written paranormal, but I've recently started reading it and loving it. I can't pick one favorite reason, but I imagine playing around with the "what if," scenarios would be a lot of fun. I write mystery/suspense/thrillers and that's the best part of my writing and there's definitely an element of mystery and suspense in every paranormal story. Great list. Enjoyed the post. There's something extra spooky about paranormal that really gets my adrenaline flowing.

Yolanda Renée said...

Great job, I'll include a link to your post in my Parallels post for Wednesday! Thanks!

cleemckenzie said...

It's all about escape and readers of paranormal as well as those who write it, love the escape.

H.R. Bennett said...

All Great points. As for what my favorite thing is??? I couldn't actually say. I've been more in sci-fi recently, but a lot of my paranormal stuff is all horror based. I've never figured out why I like it though. It's just kind of what bleeds from the tip of my pen.

Murees Dupè said...

Congratulations, Christine. I think what I like most about writing and reading paranormal is that you get to create new worlds and live outside reality. It is such a welcomed escape.

Congratulations, Stephanie and Tyrean.

Nick Wilford said...

Excellent reasons! I've only dabbled in paranormal, but letting the imagination run riot is my favourite aspect of writing. Congrats to Christine and Stephanie on their new books and to you on your publications, Tyrean!