Five Reasons to Write Super Short Stories:
1. Creativity Boost - Let's say you're stuck in the middle of your novel and you feel frustrated. A short story with a completely different cast of characters can free up your imagination so when you return to your novel, you have some imagination coursing through your veins.
2. Courage - If you submit those short stories, the process of submission can help you build up the courage you might need to self-publish or send query letters for your novel later.
3. Experience - When you get a short story published, you might go through an editing process with an editor first, or you might just get the elation of getting published.
4. A Sense of Accomplishment - Writing a short story should only take an hour to a month of your writing time. It's nice to have something get completed quickly. It gives a writer a sense of accomplishment. Story started, story done, and so on.
5. Word Choice - Working within a short word count forces a writer to pay attention to the vibrancy of each individual word. With a lot of short story practice, I think this skill starts to show up in our novel writing.
If you don't know what I mean by super short stories, check out these sites:
Hint fiction: Nail Polish Stories (unpaid)
I write short stories to help boost my creativity, gain courage and experience, have a sense of accomplishment, and work on my word choices.
Do you write short stories? If not, I highly recommend trying this form of fun, fast writing.