Friday, May 22, 2015

Celebrate the Small Things in a Huge List

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home."

Time away from my blog has given me some time to write, reflect on content, and write more. I am thankful for that.

From now on, I'll post 2-4 times a month, but I'm going on a writing journey, attempting to finish the daunting set of projects that I've set before me.

However, this may mean that my posts get a little long.

One thing that I noticed in this long list of celebrations is that this is a season of change in my life. You'll see what I mean.


1. Watching Avengers: Age of Ultron! :) 

2. We finished classes for our homeschool co-operative for the year. Last papers are graded, plus high school and middle school students' grades have all been sent out.
Last lunch at our Homeschool Co-op 
(Note the girl in the hat in the center - my rebel daughter, wearing a hat which is against the "rules" on her last day ever at co-op. She's headed off to community college for her junior and senior year.)

3. We had a formal celebration of 8th grade graduation at our co-op this last month. Parents get to talk about their kids before handing them a certificate, and my husband did "the" speech for our youngest and did a great job! And, although I know this isn't a face front picture, I really like this pic my older daughter took of her sister's graduating class - nine boys, four girls, and my daughter is wearing the pink bow dress with a purse over her shoulder. 
(Wearing a bright pink bow in the middle of conservative gray, white, and black - yep, that's my kid.)


4. The home-school formal dance at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium with the theme: Under the Sea Masquerade. As usual, no one in my family took anything other than odd blurry pics of the event itself. However, we did get a few "before" pictures:
Friends getting ready together.

Tying the tie
The formal four . . . (they met two other friends at the dance)

Only current 9th graders and up were allowed to attend this year so my youngest and I stayed home, got rid of a bunch of old home-school stuff, and watched a movie.

5. Time for reflection.

6. Planning some tiny content changes on my blog. 

7. I'm celebrating first lines (or paragraphs) from books that I enjoy, and turning it into a bit of trivia. Anyone know what book the quote up top is from?
Hint: YA from the 60s made into a movie in the 80s
Answer coming next Friday

8. And, I'm celebrating the 17 athletes from the Gig Harbor Canoe and Kayak Racing Team who made it onto Team USA for two different international competitions: Junior Worlds and Olympic Hopes.  Here's a short article about them: 17 Athletes Qualify. And no, my kids aren't going international . . . yet. (my youngest has hopes) 

9. And, I'm celebrating Ziggy Norberg, a para-canoeist from our team with an article in a local magazine:
Unbreakable Spirit article link - definitely worth a read!
BTW - para-canoe is the term used for para-athletes who kayak or who paddle outriggers because on the international circuit both kayaking and canoeing are just called canoeing.


10. And, M Pax has a new book out! If you haven't started her Backworlds series, the first one is free! But, here's number six!!!!
Available in ebook from:
iBook or main iBook
Kobo 
*
In the far future, humanity settles the stars, bioengineering its descendants to survive in a harsh universe. This is the sixth book in the science fiction series, The Backworlds. A space opera adventure.
The Backworlds hang by a Quantum string, a thread about to snap. Annihilation is coming if Craze can’t stop it.
The genocidal alien he had trapped breaks free, destroying a ship belonging to the Backworlds’ oldest enemy, the Fo’wo’s. The murderous alien wants to overtake the galaxy. The Fo’wo’s want another war.
The Backworlds’ best chance to survive is to overcome a century of hate and forge an alliance with the Fo’wo’s. Because of his history with the alien, Craze is recruited to represent his people. Now he’s the most hated man in the galaxy.
The looming war will be a holocaust unless Craze can stop it, knowing salvation comes at a price.




What are you celebrating this week? 


Next week: Alex J. Cavanaugh will be here Monday for a guest post!
And, I'll have a little something on Nick Wilford's new book.


And, on Friday, I'll post the answer to the quote trivia.


15 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I think the quote is from Hinton's THE OUTSIDERS....

I think I'm in one of those seasons of change, too, Tyrean. Good luck with all of your upcoming projects!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Hi Tyrean - looking forward to your changes. I'm doing some discovery as well. Love the family photos!

Cherie Reich said...

Lots of awesome things to celebrate! And I find it's helpful to cut back on blogging some. It's worth blogging, but it does eat up a lot of writing time.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Wow!! You're have a busy family and a busy life!!! I think it's wonderful!!! Have a nice Memorial Weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful celebrations! Congratulations and good luck to your daughters as they move on in their education! Love the hat and the pink bow. I hope your writing journey leads you to amazing places. Best of luck with your new schedule!

Tonja Drecker said...

Tons of terrific celebrations! Looks like you guys have been busy :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are about to experience some changes.
And good for your rebel daughter!

Unknown said...

We all must change and move forward or we die. That includes blogs as well as life in general. Congrats on the success of your children on their various graduations and celebrations. It's good to know you've set them on the right path in life, right? I wish you huge good luck on your writing projects and hope that you don't forget us - your posts inspire me and I'd miss them a lot!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm celebrating the news that we just might finally get a little sunshine on Memorial Day. It feels as though it has been raining forever....

cheerfuloptimistic said...

Congratulations to the graduates, and good luck to them whatever they decide to do.

Maurice Mitchell said...

It sounds like a great time to get caught up Tyrean and your home school co-op is so exciting! Ziggy Norberg is very inspirarional.

Unknown said...

OMG you have been busy. Enjoy it all!

Jack said...

It looks as if everyone had fun at least getting ready for the dance. I can only imagine it was just as fun there.

Maria Zannini said...

Congrats on the changes. isn't it interesting that whenever there's an ending, it's also a new beginning of something else. :)

Claudia H. Blanton said...

oh homeschool graduation! I homeschool both of my kids, and one will graduate next year. I am thinking about throwing her a pretty big party, but your co-op ceremony sounds like fun - blessings!