Friday, March 13, 2015

Muffin Commando Squad, Celebrations, and Adamant Release!


It's a mega-post today, enjoy the highlights!

I'm super excited to be a part of C. Lee Mckenzie's Muffin Commando Team for A to Z!!!


Q: What kind of muffin are you?
Well, I'm a huge fan of banana nut . . . but can I be the same kind of muffin as Carrie Butler?
If not banana nut, then I'm cinnamon-apple-nut muffin. :)

Q: What's your latest book, short story, publication?
A Jumble of 500+ Writing Prompts, A Pocket-Sized Jumble of 500+ Writing Prompts (paperback), and Jumble Journals 1 and 2. Like they sound, these are books chock full of writing prompts.

Q: What was your theme last year? And, why did you choose it? Character Names from The Champion Trilogy and World-Building Ideas. I was hip deep in revisions for Champion in Flight, and the joint topics were simmering on my brain.

Hint: This year, my theme will be a little less about me, and a little more about (to be revealed on the 23rd).

If you haven't already, please go meet the rest of the Muffin Commandos: C. Lee Mckenzie (leader extraordinaire), Carrie Butler, Yvonne Ventresca, Donna McDine, Patricia Lynne, Tara Tyler, and Tammy Theriault.


Celebrate the Small Things is led by Lexa Cain, and co-hosted by LG Keltner and the Cyborg Mom.

Celebrations:

1. Two of my hint fictions stories were published at Espresso Stories. Check them out for free:
"Ocean's Promise"
"Tone Deaf"

2. Elizabeth Seckman's guest post on Wednesday!

3. My youngest daughter's knee ultrasound looked awesome! Her PT is going good, and she can move from going easy to pushing a a bit harder at racing practice for flat-water sprint kayaking. (They use their legs for "leg drive" - and use their whole bodies to put power into their paddle strokes.)

4. My oldest daughter is dancing this Sunday evening at a benefit for the Tacoma City Ballet's financial aid program. It's called 10 Tiny Dances, and it's at Jazzbones in Tacoma, WA. If you're local, you could come check it out! :) She'll be in the "scary doll" tap dance. Yep, it's definitely not Singin' in the Rain, but it's fun. And I've added a little preview video - an interview video with her teacher.




5. Had a bit of a rough week with some virus-ick in the house and just plain insecurity over writing projects, so I found some solace in these things:


I read Shelley Sly's MG One Hundred Thirty Stars and loved it - beautiful, poignant writing. I felt like I was with Birdie while she struggles to get to know and understand her estranged father at a game convention, and in her thoughts and heart throughout the whole book. Highly recommended!

I finished watching Not Another Happy Ending. It's a romantic comedy about a debut author and her small press publisher/editor that I've been watching in short installments via Netflix - if you're a writer, there's some extra comedy in there on the "sure, that happens to all authors, yeah right" scale, but all in all, it was just wonderfully quirky, and it just hit the spot. Highly recommended, especially if you're on an editing/writing/marketing downturn (as in it feels like it all sucks and in need of a laugh and some inspiration).


And now, presenting . . . ADAMANT!


On an alternative 21st-century Earth in which our world is one of many in the Multiverse, the Inter-World Alliance exists to keep the peace between the worlds, and keep the monsters out.

Ada Fletcher is twenty-one, keeps a collection of knives in her room, and is more interested in fighting than her day job as a cashier. She also risks her life on a daily basis, helping refugees from a devastating magical war on her homeworld hide on the low-magic Earth. But when she’s taken into custody by the Alliance, her unusual magic makes her a prime suspect for a supervisor’s suspicious death.

For Kay Walker, whose family founded the organization, there has never been any doubt that his future is with the Alliance – even if it means dealing with sarcastic centaurs and dangerous monsters in the dark Passages between worlds. But when his supervisor is murdered, Kay discovers that a research project might have been the reason, and faces the choice of whether to ignore his instincts or risk becoming the next target, not to mention digging into the Alliance’s history and memories he’d rather keep buried. And there’s something not quite right about the strange, fierce girl he arrested as a suspect.

The last thing Ada wants is to help the infuriating Alliance guard who arrested her, but it soon becomes clear that the Alliance knows too much about Ada’s offworld origins. More, in fact, than she knows herself. Now she has to choose between loyalty to her family, and helping the Alliance save the Earth – and the Multiverse – from a deadly enemy.

Buy the book:

Amazon
Kobo
Barnes and Noble
Apple

Add on Goodreads
Read the first chapter



Emma spent her childhood creating imaginary worlds to compensate for a disappointingly average reality, so it was probably inevitable that she ended up writing speculative fiction. She was born in Birmingham, UK, which she fled at the first opportunity to study English Literature at Lancaster University. In her three years at Lancaster, she hiked up mountains, skydived in Australia, and endured a traumatic episode involving a swarm of bees in the Costa Rican jungle. She also entertained her creative writing group and baffled her tutors by submitting strange fantasy tales featuring dragons and supernatural monsters to workshops. These included her first publication, a rather bleak dystopian piece, and a disturbing story about a homicidal duck (which she hopes will never see the ight of day).

Now a reluctant graduate, Emma refuses to settle down and be normal. When not embarking on wild excursions and writing fantasy novels, she edits and proofreads novels for various publishing houses and reads an improbable number of books. Emma is currently working on the Alliance series, a multiple-universe adult fantasy featuring magic, monsters, cool gadgets and sarcasm. Her upper-YA urban fantasy Darkworld series is published by Curiosity Quills Press.

Website
Blog
Facebook Page
Twitter
Goodreads
Newsletter


50 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Yeh for all the good things! Congrats on the publications! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Emma!
Glad your youngest's knee looks better and good luck to your dancer this weekend.
Looking forward to everyone's theme reveal.

ELAdams said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out! :)

Tonja Drecker said...

Sorry about the sickness, but the rest is great. Glad your daughter's knees better and congrats on the publications!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your work. Always good to see dancing daughters. Enjoy.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Congratulations, Emma, Adamant sounds lovely! Tyrean, glad that your daughter's knee is better. And congrats on the publications.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congrats to Emma. Glad your daughter is getting better. I know how much you enjoyed their sporting events.

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow muffin squaddie. Every time I read one of our posts, I want a muffin. LOL

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Madeline!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm looking forward to it, too!

Tyrean Martinson said...

You're welcome, Emma. I started reading Adamant last night, and really like it so far! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, T!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Marilyn! And yes, it's always good to see dancing daughters. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Rachna!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks! I do enjoy their sporting events - it's that crazy proud mama thing. :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Loving the new look! Banana Nut muffins sound yum. ;-)

Cherie Reich said...

Now I want a muffin. ;) Yay for all the good news!

Congrats to Emma! Love that cover and the book sounds fantastic!

Unknown said...

I read your flash fics and loved them, especially the funny twist ending about the deaf princess! I'm glad to hear your younger daughter is doing well, and that your older daughter will be tap dancing! I've always dreamed of doing that. Yay for recovering from the virus and a good book and movie to see you through. Congrats to Emma for her new release! :)

Anonymous said...

If I were to choose a muffin type, it would have to be chocolate. I like your hint fiction. They made me want to know the rest of the stories. Sorry to hear about the virus ickiness, but it's great that your daughter is doing better. Have fun at the dance show. I'm going to look up the Happy Endings movie. It sounds good. Congrats to Emma!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Misha! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Cherie! I started reading Emma's book yesterday and it's great!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks so much for reading, Lexa!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Chocolate muffins are great! And thanks for reading my hint fiction and all the good wishes!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Tyrean - thank for the books' peek. I love Elizabeth's visit here.
That video is so interesting. I'd never heard of restricting space, and the interpretaive dance with that in mind.

Oh - strawberry muffin!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Strawberry muffin - I'll have to try one of those!

cleemckenzie said...

You had some darned good things to celebrate this Friday! Over the sick part, I hope. I'm going over to read what you've posted. Thanks for introducing yourself so well. You can be any flavor muffin you wish. <B

Donna McDine said...

Yippee! Enjoy the dance and glad to hear your daughter's knee is doing better! Looking forward to your theme reveal. I'm delighted to be on The Muffin Commando Squad with you!

Carrie Butler said...

There's plenty of room in the basket for two banana nut muffins! :D

Christine Rains said...

Lots to celebrate this week! Glad the virus-ick is gone and congrats to Emma! There can never be too many banana nut muffins. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, C. Lee! And, I'm glad I can be any kind of muffin. :) I'm mostly over the sick part - still tired.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm excited that we get to be Muffin Commandos together, too! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Great! Thanks, Carrie!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Good to know that more than one banana nut is ok. :)

Shelley Sly said...

Tyrean, that is so nice of you to read and review my book! Thank you so much!!

I plan to check out Emma's book, too. It's on my list. :)

Hope you guys are all feeling better, and glad to hear your youngest daughter's doing better and that your oldest is doing what looks like an awesome performance!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I was celebration worthy!! Yay!!

I got the prompt book. It will help me when I am post blocked.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I was celebration worthy!! Yay!!

I got the prompt book. It will help me when I am post blocked.

Tammy Theriault said...

So so excited to see another muffin!!!! Lol

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad your daughter's knee is doing so well. And awesome you're part of Lee's team.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Yeah for a mega post! Thanks for the mention. And congrats to your daughter!

Yvonne

Tyrean Martinson said...

I haven't officially reviewed it at Amazon yet . . . but I'll get that done next.
And Emma's book is good - I'm having a hard time getting other work done because I want to finish reading it.
And thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Elizabeth - you are definitely celebration worthy!

And thanks! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Coolio! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Natalie!

Tyrean Martinson said...

You're welcome Yvonne! And thanks!

Heather R. Holden said...

LOL, love the Muffin Commando interview. Banana nut and cinnamon apple nut both sound equally good, IMO! ;)

Also, love those hint fiction stories of yours, especially "Ocean's Promise." Congrats on the publication of both! :)

DL Hammons said...

I'm on a diet and you would have to post about muffins! :)

Emma's book looks fantastic!

Suzanne Furness said...

It's great news about your daughter's knee. I hope your other daughter has a fun dance evening.

Emma's book looks fabulous.

Michelle Tran said...

Great news about your daughter! I'll have to check out that movie recommendation!

Mark Koopmans said...

As they say in the business, glad your one daughter is doing better and "Break a leg" with the other's upcoming performances :)

PS: thanks for the review about the Not another... movie... I've got that on my watch list, but hadn't heard much about it :)

David P. King said...

So much awesome in your life right now, minus the virus-ish stuff. Congrats on the stories and your daughter's knee healing up. :)