Friday, November 4, 2011

NaNoWriMo on Pointe and Random Awesomeness



While my daughters earned their first blisters from going on pointe at the ballet barre,
I wrote 1,431 words in the midst of distractions.

All three of us persevered in pursuit of our dreams.

I love writing.
They both love dance.
We are all willing to work hard for our dreams.

When I asked them if dance was really worth the blisters, they said yes. (Trust me, as a parent, I've asked them many times if they truly want to pursue something so painful, and they keep saying yes)

When I ask myself if the craziness of NaNoWriMo is worth it, I know my answer is yes.

Thankfully, my daughters have amazing dance instructors, and fellow dancers who know the strength and stamina it takes. They encourage one another.

Thankfully, writers like us have fellow writers who know the stamina and mental strength it takes to succeed at NaNoWriMo, and we can encourage one another.

Check out Sommer Leigh's awesome NaNoWriMo Support Group for a list of awesome NaNoWriMo supporters!


And since I'm mentioning awesomeness, I think it's time for more:

Catch Fire with Alex J. Cavanaugh’s release party for Cassafire on February 28th Catch Fire

Spread the Word, Arlee Bird has the A to Z Challenge Blogfest site up and running here A To Z 2012

Do you have any awesomeness to share?

Are you involved with NaNo this year?

Are you willing to get blisters for your dreams?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thank you for the mention, Tyreean! And I knew you'd write a lot during your daughter's dance class.

Angie said...

Dancing on pointe looks so hard! Good for them and good for you too. Good support is so important. Thanks for always supporting me!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - You're welcome and thanks for the encouragement!

Angie - Thank you!!! And the pointe shoes are tough . . . even though they were already on point in their tap shoes before this, they weren't staying up there for more than a few seconds . . . so this is a prolonged sort of endurance test for their feet, and they are building up to it over time.

Sommer Leigh said...

Happy NaNo Day Five!
I just love this post. Such a great sentiment :-) I hope NaNo continues to go so well for you!

Hopefully the initial excitement is still going strong, but if not I've come with a toolbox of inspiration. Ready?

First, quote of the day: Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now.

Second, NaNo Tip of the Day: Don't forget to reward yourself. It is often easier to notice our lagging word count numbers than to notice how far we've already come.

Good luck!!! Just keep writing!!!

Golden Eagle said...

Yes, to the second and third questions--and to the last one literally, as I do pointe. :)

Joanne said...

All of you that are doing the NaNo are my inspiration! I have recently picked up an unfinished story that I was working on a while back and I am giving it another try. I write very slowly so NaNo would be quite frustrating for me. But I have aquired a new energy to finish this work. Thank you!
Blessings, Joanne

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sommer - Thank you so much for your encouragement, and your support! I really appreciate your words of wisdom!

Golden Eagle - That's awesome! Dance is so wonderful for strength building - both physical and mental strength building.

Joanne - Thanks! I am glad to hear that you are giving your story another try. Blessings!