Monday, October 9, 2017

Liebster Award

Many thanks to Tara Tyler, speculative fiction writer extraordinaire! In addition to her writing talents, her organization, her blog, and her ability to create engaging surveys leaves me in awe. Plus, she's a mom and lives a full life. Amazing lady!

She nominated me and 11 others for the Liebster Award. It's been a while since I received or passed on an award, but here goes:

Liebster Award Rules and Nominees:
Rule 1: Thank the person who nominated you for the award.
Rule 2: Answer the 11 questions the person asked you.
Rule 3: Nominate 11 people (comment on their blog to let them know)
Rule 4: Ask the people you have nominated 11 questions.

Here are my answers to Tara's questions
1.     You are thrown into a favorite story. [Not your own.] Which story and who would you be?
The Chronicles of Narnia - preferably The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I would like to be Reepicheep, but when I read this book the first time, I empathized with Eustace. I really was a stubborn, temperamental, self-centered kid. I still struggle with it and totally get why Aslan had to strip him of his dragon-hide.
2.     What is the hardest part of writing for you? Why?
Usually it's Marketing and Promotion (like Tara mentioned in her post), but lately I've been having a tough time finishing fiction projects. I have written over 180,000 words on three projects in the last two years, but not finished anything to the final "end." I really want to do that again and I'm trying to push myself to do that within the next few months.
3.     When and where do you write? How did you discover that was best for you?
I prefer mid-morning or mid-afternoon in my house - either on my bed, at the dining room table or in the magical brown chair (I wrote 10,000 words once in that chair), but I will take early morning, late evening, or in the parking lot outside of a dance studio, gym, in a coffee shop, a library, anywhere if that's what I need to do.
4.     If you could be anybody or anything, who or what would you be and why?
I'm going to echo Tara here: I would be a dragon. 
A griffin, a cat, or maybe a friend of C.S. Lewis would all be good, too. 
5.     How do you push forward when the inner critic won’t shut up?
I write all that junk out in my journal or take a walk or dance around my living room or kitchen to loud music - anything from 80s music to modern pop songs my kids like.
6.     Do you need to write inside a bubble or library [like me] or do like to listen to music or other inspiring background sounds or “white” noise to write? 
I like quiet writing with some background "house" noise - family present but not talking to me (we're introverts here, so this mainly works). I like writing to soundtracks when the words are just dead. Sometimes, rarely, a song will hit me in the write way and I'll play it on repeat so the words blur into the music.
7.     How do you keep the wolves…ahem…I mean convince your children or other people to leave you alone to write? Does it work? Provide tips—please!
I write when they are busy. Since they are pretty busy most of the time, this should be easy, but it's not. I get into one activity or another and have to stop myself. 
8.     Who was your favorite author as a child? Who is your favorite author now?
Favorite? One? No. As a child: C.S. Lewis, JRR Tolkien, Frank L. Baum, and many more. Now: Jessica Day George, Tara Tyler, C. Lee Mckenzie, and many more. What I love most about this latter group of authors is that I have been able to read their work as they've grown - I can see how good they were when they started and how excellent their writing is currently. 
9.     If you could have a superpower, what would it be? Why that?
It used to be flying, but right now in our current climate, it would be healing - mind, body, spirit - individually, nationally, and globally. 
10.  How do you find inspiration?
I have to echo Tara again here - it's everywhere. It's in music, on walks, when I get to kayak, when my teen daughters talk with me, when my husband tells me about his day at work, when the sun rises and sets, when I go to worship, when I read something that I agree or disagree with, when I watch tv or a movie, or read a book.
11.  What book or movie or writing workshop or blog post has affected your work the most? Why?
There are so, so many! I have been blessed.
Most recently, I came across this quote that I liked in a book that I kind of liked:
"Stories are for joining the past to the future. Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story."

from The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

11 Nominees for the Liebster Award, for optional participation: 
Everyone reading this (yes, that's more than one)
C. Lee McKenzie, 
Christine Rains,
MJ Fifield,
Erika Beebe
Madeline Mora-Summonte,
Nick Wilford,
Krystal Jane,
Ellen at the Cynical Sailor,
ChemistKen,
Cathrina Constantine,
Chrys Fey.
These authors are exceptional at encouragement! I highly recommend you check out their blogs. 

And, I admit, I can't seem to think of anything better than the previous 11 questions, so please answer those! :)





10 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Aw, thanks, Tyrean!

I struggled with finishing longer projects for awhile but last NaNo I ended up with a solid draft with a beginning, middle and end. I was thrilled! It needs work, of course, but it's a good start. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations!
Healing - good super power.
I'd want to visit the world of Narnia as well.

Heather R. Holden said...

Congrats on the Liebster Award! Can relate to how tough it can be to finish a project sometimes; I often end up burning out as a result. Good luck finally reaching the end of one of your WIPs!

Also, really love your choice of superpower. This world is definitely in need of some healing!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats!

Dawn Treader was always my favorite book.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I always thought flying would be the superpower I wanted but you're right. Healing would be better.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats,Tyrean! Marketing would be super hard for me too. And glad to see that someone else likes to write sitting on her bed.

Cherie Reich said...

Congrats, Tyrean! Yes, always be a dragon if you can be one. :)

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on the award! I hope the day comes when you can write "The End" on a project soon. Thanks for the nomination, although I already got one for the Liebster not long ago. Blog awards are back!

Stephanie Faris said...

I haven't seen one of those awards make the rounds in a while. But I always welcome any opportunity to get to know my blogging friends better!

krystal jane said...

Dancing around the house is a cure all for noisy writer brains. ^_^ I also agree that inspiration is everywhere. I know you'll find what you need to get your novels finished! I think it gets really hard to pick something to focus on and finish when you have a lot of good ideas pulling for your attention.

I love that O'Brien quote!