Wednesday, October 4, 2017

#IWSG October 2017

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is an exceptional group offering support and encouragement to all writers in any stage of their journeys. 
Started by the one and only Alex J. Cavanaugh.
Facebook     Twitter     Website     Blog Hop List


Show Us Your Writer Insecurity
This is a shirt and book only photo I took when the Hero Lost books came. :) 

Optional Question: When rejections feel overwhelming, what do you do to get yourself out of this negative funk? (And, oops, I chose the wrong question but ... since this is IWSG, I hope you all understand!)

This is an area of expertise for me as a short story writer. However, I don't have novel rejection experience yet so that may be different.
For short story rejections, I do these things:

1. I take a deep breath, check the story for any unknown errors, and then, if it looks the way I want it to, I search for a new market and send it out again within 24 hours of the initial rejection. (Some stories take many submissions to find a home.)

2. I go cry. Okay. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but when I read the question right - if the rejections are truly overwhelming, I think it's okay to shed a few tears. It's normal to feel the pain of having a story baby sent back unwanted.

3. I read over my list of successes. I keep it on my blog and in a desk drawer. 

4. I read some nice reviews of my previous work. I have a list of nice comments people have made that I keep handy, just in case.

5. I go for a walk. I clear my head. I dance around the living room. I pet my dog and cat, hug my family, or have a cup of tea. 

6. I read. This is my go-to place for any kind of stress. 

7. I set a timer and write anything, literally, anything. I even wrote something that might be considered romance the other day. It's only 1500 words and part of a story, but I surprised myself because I liked it enough to keep going after the timer (which only had me at 400 words). 

8. If I haven't done #1 yet, then I do that after I do #2-7.

For a bonus round of help, I read IWSG posts - sometimes old ones by other bloggers. These are especially encouraging. 

To see a random selection of pictures from my Prague trip, scroll down to my previous post on goals. There are a few pictures from London since I had a seven hour layover on my return trip.

What do you do when you face rejection?


IWSG NEWS


The Insecure Writer’s Support Group Writing for Profit Available Now!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this free anthology. 

From writing to publishing to marketing, the Insecure Writer's Support Group members provide tips on making money as a writer. This guide represents the spirit of the IWSG - to encourage and support writers everywhere! It is our hope that this book will benefit you as a writer, no matter where you are in the journey. 

ISBN: 9781939844453 FREE
Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Kobo









The next #IWSGPit – Thursday, January 18, 2018!
 - Over three hundred agents and publishers.
So polish those manuscripts and pitches! 


The deadline for the next IWSG Anthology Contest is November 1. The genre is mystery/crime/thriller and the theme is Tick Tock. 
This is a great opportunity to see you work in a royalty-paying anthology. 

See the IWSG site for full details.

Nick Wilford, an IWSG blogger and author, has a new book out: Black&White.


36 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I usually let myself mope a bit when I receive rejections, but then I pick myself back up and keep going. We're writers, it's what we do. :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

I've learnt to take rejections in my stride. I mope for some time then I bounce back with God's Grace. I also love going for walks to both clear the cobwebs in my mind and to change my mood.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like your photo!
We all have successes we can turn to when rejection hits.
Thanks for mentioning the upcoming IWSG events!

Nick Wilford said...

Great photo. Your approach to rejection sounds very healthy, I must say. It's only one person's opinion and the next could think the exact opposite.

Thanks for the shout for my book!

Nancy Gideon said...

I remind myself that I'm in good company! Even the best of the best have faced that closed door. The difference is, they refused to stop knocking! Good list. Something I should keep handy and read frequently.

Christine Rains said...

Other IWSG posts from bloggers always lift my spirits too. :) Novel and short story rejections can feel the same way. Some are harder than others, but we eat a cookie, pick ourselves back up, and submit somewhere new.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's okay to cry sometimes. Just don't waller. (As they say here in the South.)

krystal jane said...

Those IWSG shirts are pretty cool!

I really like your list. I have such a bad tendency to stick my head in the sand. Last time I got a pass it was on some poems. Since I'm not a poet, that wasn't bad. I've never tried submitting a short story, but I imagine it feels close to novel rejection.

Jacqui Murray said...

No surprise but writers are a creative bunch. I love all these examples we-all are posting. Well, except me, who somehow missed the entire thing. I need to pay better attention.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I think I might be on the wrong question for the month, but thank you so much for all of your awesome comments! I am out visiting your sites and will hopefully come back and actually answer comments later today!

Karen Lange said...

Great list, Tyrean! You inspire me. :)

Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor said...

I think it was a great question to answer. People struggle with rejection every day, so you're post helps them realize they're not alone and provides great tips for how to work through it. Cheers - Ellen

emaginette said...

I pout for a bit and try again when the immediate pain ebbs away. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Chemist Ken said...

I haven't submitted yet, so I don't have to worry about rejections yet. Hopefully I'll handle them okay when I do.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Karen - Thanks!

Ellen - Thank you! Cheers!

Emaginette - I know what you mean, but it still stings.

Ken - You will!

Chrys Fey said...

I've cried, too. Sometimes it helps to get that emotion out.

I love that you included Hero Lost in your photo!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Chrys - good to know I'm not the only one, and thanks!

Gwen Gardner said...

You've had works published before, so you know you can do it. It's just a matter of the right fit. You handle rejection in a healthy way, so that's a good thing.

I entered a "first lines" contest once and got a partial request which was declined (rather, "come back after you work on it some more," and they were right). I felt bad for a few days, then moved on. That was my first and only submission (5 years ago?), but I'm about to try it again. I can do it! (I think. LOL!)

Cathrina Constantine said...

Good Photo!

I've had so many rejections and every one hurts. However, with so many rejections, they sort of hurt a little less. I do get sad, and depressed when I was really counting on that YES!!

I've been seeing all your pictures on FB. Beautiful!!!

Olga Godim said...

The main thing about rejections: they don't reflect the quality of the story, just the personal taste of that market's reader. Finding a good market for your story is like finding a friend who understands you. How many people do you pass by in your life before one true friend comes along?

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great ways to handle rejections. Sometimes crying a bit helps release the sadness. Going for a walk helps about anything. I haven't submitted so have no other suggestions. I am a little detached from it all though, since it's so filled with rejections. Don't want to get too upset about what I can't control.

Erika Beebe said...

I love your swag picture! THank you for all the helpful tips. I especially love going for walks. When I see rejection, I try to distract myself too. I go to the gym or a read a really great book. Happy Writing!

Brandon Ax said...

I think novel rejections must be similar because I do a lot of the same things. I wish I could write short stories. It is a skill I need to develop.

A. B. Keuser said...

At least you're less likely to mess up submission guidelines than the IWSG question. Good thing Alex doesn't hand out demerits. ;)

Heather R. Holden said...

Rejections often make me cry, too, especially if one comes when I'm already not feeling all too well mentally. And this list as a whole is great--really love how healthy and overall positive your approach to rejection is!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I usually take a day or two off from writing and plan. I think of what I can improve. It really doesn't get me down for long.

Trisha F said...

I definitely need to create a collection of "nice comments" for the future when I start to send queries out again. I haven't done that yet.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - love the photo - very appropriate. Re your tips - always good ... when things go pear-shaped I think that has passed, life is good and will get better ... but it's always good to have complementary comments and be reminded others like our writing - cheers Hilary

Shannon Lawrence said...

Man, I got a short story rejection that hurt so bad I went into full shutdown mode. I couldn't listen to anyone, couldn't respond or engage for about an hour. Then I sucked it up, pulled myself out of it, checked over the story, and resubmitted that sucker. I'd really thought that was the market for this story, and it's a deeply personal story (I had a panic attack reading it aloud to my critique group--I kid you not). If it doesn't find a home (it's between genres), I'll self-pub it. Anyway, all that to say I feel you. Most rejections aren't an issue for me at this point, but there's always a sneaky one that gets to me.

Diane Burton said...

Your list of what you do when your short stories are rejected are the same as what I did when my novels were rejected. The trick is to get back to work. You need a break but not too long to get back on the old horse.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

I love all these answers (regardless of the question)!

mshatch said...

I just move on after a rejection. I'm not sure why I'm able to to do this without beating myself up but I do. Then it's back to the keyboard...

Lynda R Young said...

I love the lit of things you do when facing rejection.
And the pic is great!

Michelle Wallace said...

Tyrean, you have so many short story credits/publications in online magazines that I'm sure it balances out all those rejections...
Actually, it's probably helped to strengthen the thick writer's skin!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Great post and nice photo!
You have a smart approach to getting through the tough times. Good for you!
Thanks for participating!
Heather M. Gardner

Stephanie Faris said...

My goal has always been to always have so many things out there, that if I'm rejected it's no big deal...because there are always other things that could come through for me. Still, that doesn't make it easy when rejection after rejection comes in.