Friday, October 27, 2017

Goals and National Tell a Story Day

Today is National Tell a Story Day ... in Scotland and the UK.

I'm only partly Scottish, but let's just go with it, okay?
(I'll post again in April for the US National Tell a Story Day)
Scroll down for that part of the post. First, let's look at my goals.



Um, I didn't post what my actual goals for October were at the end of September, but here they are:

1. Look for a job. (In addition to independent teaching one day a week). I applied for substitute teaching in one school district and waited.
2. Write 30 minutes each day. On average - yes, especially if you count materials for my students, a letter to the editor, and a non-fiction project that I might/might not be sending out into the universe for Betas next month. Stay tuned if you are interested in non-fiction, Christian Thanksgiving-based material and would be willing to read.
3. Work on Biblical Storytelling. - um, once.
4. Teach classes. - Yes!
5. Encourage my family and friends. Tried.
6. Walk every day. - nope, but four times a week.
7. Revise/continue various writing projects - 30 minutes 3 times a week. - well, I did put some thought work into how to revise and I started, but that's it.
8. Housecleaning and organization - 1 hour, 5 times a week. - mostly yes.


Next month .... I'm going to focus just on these:
1. Write 1700 words a day, average. (NaNoWriMo for Greenling Chronicles 2 rough draft)
2. Teach classes.
3. Exercise every day, include walks, dancing, kayaking.
4. Household projects: some work every day.
5. Send Thanksgiving project to betas.


Have you ever told a story out loud?

I started my creative endeavors by telling spooky stories to friends at my house as a kid. I made up stories about the dark room under the stairs (literally, a photographer's dark room), my dad's retired prosthetic legs found in the guest room closet (who knew what happened to those guests?) and the haunted painting (a dark painting of a warrior in armor that used to hang in my parents' living room). 

These days I rarely every tell or write spooky stories, but I do write fantastical stories (as in fantasy-based).
Plus, I know some authors who also write fantastical stories.

Some of them can be found here:

Can a lost hero find redemption?

What if Death himself wanted to die? Can deliverance be found on a bloody battlefield? Could the gift of silvering become a prison for those who possessed it? Will an ancient warrior be forever the caretaker of a house of mystery?

Delving into the depths of the tortured hero, twelve authors explore the realms of fantasy in this enthralling and thought-provoking collection. Featuring the talents of Jen Chandler, L. Nahay, Renee Cheung, Roland Yeomans, Elizabeth Seckman, Olga Godim, Yvonne Ventresca, Ellen Jacobson, Sean McLachlan, Erika Beebe, Tyrean Martinson, and Sarah Foster.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these twelve tales will take you into the heart of heroes who have fallen from grace. Join the journey and discover a hero’s redemption!

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
eBook -
Barnes & Noble
iTunes
Kobo


14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck with NaNo! Especially if you do get a job.
You did write a fantastic story!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I like your goals, writing 1700 words a day is a good idea. I'm planning to write atleast 2000 words a day in Novemeber.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm excited and anxious for NaNo - big surprise. Good luck on all of your goals! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - aww, thanks! I guess I meant "fantastical" as in fantasy-based. :P

Rachna - that's a great goal!

Madeline - me, too, and thanks!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I think I need to clean five hours a day, seven days a week to get caught up. I have too much clutter and clutter makes cleaning tougher.

Good luck getting the job.

krystal jane said...

That’s awesome about the cleaning and organizing. It’s a good habit to be in.

Good luck with NaNo! I think this is the third year in a row where I’ve either just finished something or been editing. I’ll absolutely be cheering you on!

Patricia Lynne said...

Good luck with your goals for next month and NaNo.

Heather R. Holden said...

Best of luck with NaNo, and all your other goals for November! I'm always impressed by people who tackle that month-long writing challenge. It would overwhelm me far too much!

Misha Gericke said...

Best of luck with your writing! Looks like you did make some good progress. :-)

Misha Gericke said...

PS please don't forget to post your link at gotgoalsbloghop.blogspot.com, or people won't know you updated. :-)

Ruth Livingstone said...

I’m doing NaNo again this year too. Good luck! I always look forward to it.

Trisha F. said...

I'm doing NaNo too. I should be more excited but I'm too tired ;) Hopefully I'll catch up on some zzzzzs soon!

Good luck with all your goals including NaNo :)

Stephanie Faris said...

I've read Piper Morgan aloud several times--for kids. Reading your work aloud does make you notice every single flaw! Best of luck with your first day of NaNo tomorrow!

Chemist Ken said...

1700 words a day doesn't seem too bad... until you sit down and start to write. Good luck on your writing goals!