Tuesday, September 19, 2017

An Interview with Nick Wilford, Author of Black and White

Please welcome guest Nick Wilford!

Hi Tyrean! It’s great to be over for an interview at your lovely blog today. (It's great to have you here, Nick!)
Coffee/Tea/Writing beverage of choice?
I can’t do anything without a cup of tea! It’s a bit of an addiction, but hopefully not too bad of one. Ideally with a biscuit, but if I had too many of them I fear I wouldn’t be able to leave my writing chair.
What's your favorite part of writing? (brainstorming, world-building, plotting, rough draft, revision, finishing touches)
There’s things I like about all of these things, although plotting is probably my least favourite. I don’t start with much of a plan, my plotting usually comes in the form of trying to think my way out of an apparently intractable problem. I would have to say my favourite part is that magic moment when you realise what started out as a handful of ideas has somehow come to life, and not just in words on the page; it’s taken on a life of its own and “exists” in some indefinable sense.
What's your biggest challenge/insecurity as a writer? And, what do you do to overcome it?
Something that I feel I probably share with others – what I’m doing now, promoting my work and trying to get out there and share it with the world. I’m not an outgoing person and I don’t naturally assume that others will be interested in what I have to say. The way I deal with it is to think that I’m contributing something to the world – we could always use more books, and they won’t get noticed unless I give them a push. And getting creative with promotion and mixing it up makes it fun.
Do you have a quote or song that has inspired your writing?
I do like inspiring quotes when I read them, but I’m very bad at retaining them in my head! I’ve got a lot of songs that inspire me, but one that I tend to go back to is Radiohead’s “Lucky”. Radiohead are sometimes painted as a depressive band, but this is one of the most uplifting songs I’ve ever heard. Written from the perspective of a survivor of a plane crash, it’s about getting another chance at life. The music just soars and it always peps me up.
Why write speculative fiction? What draws you to the genre?
It’s just a genre that offers unlimited exploration – and for me, it’s mainly about what the future could hold. For me, it’s not even a genre so much as an umbrella term for lots of other ones – fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, even historical if you were going to look at alternate pasts. There’s so much scope and it’s perfect for the writer who thinks, “what if”? I’m also very inspired by what I’m reading, I’m easily led in that way if you like. Before starting blogging, I was reading a lot of thrillers so I tried writing books in that vein, but it wasn’t really my area of strength. Since meeting other writers, I’ve read so many great speculative novels, so on some unconscious level, my ideas started heading in that direction.
Thanks for these questions! I had a lot of fun answering them.

Title: Black & White
Author: Nick Wilford
Genre: YA dystopian Series #: 1 of 3
Release date: 18th September 2017
Publisher: Superstar Peanut Publishing
Blurb:
What is the price paid for the creation of a perfect society?

In Whitopolis, a gleamingly white city of the future where illness has been eradicated, shock waves run through the populace when a bedraggled, dirt-stricken boy materialises in the main street. Led by government propaganda, most citizens shun him as a demon, except for Wellesbury Noon – a high school student the same age as the boy.

Upon befriending the boy, Wellesbury feels a connection that he can’t explain – as well as discovering that his new friend comes from a land that is stricken by disease and only has two weeks to live. Why do he and a girl named Ezmerelda Dontible appear to be the only ones who want to help?

As they dig deeper, everything they know is turned on its head – and a race to save one boy becomes a struggle to redeem humanity.

Purchase Links:
Meet the author:
Nick Wilford is a writer and stay-at-home dad. Once a journalist, he now makes use of those early morning times when the house is quiet to explore the realms of fiction, with a little freelance editing and formatting thrown in. When not working he can usually be found spending time with his family or cleaning something. He has four short stories published in Writer’s Muse magazine. Nick is also the editor of Overcoming Adversity: An Anthology for Andrew. Visit him at his blog or connect with him on Twitter, GoodreadsFacebook, or Amazon.
Enter the giveaway for a chance to win a copy of my collection A Change of Mind and Other Stories or a $10 giftcard! a Rafflecopter giveaway

13 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

Great interview! And the book is a good read. Best wishes to you both.

The Cynical Sailor said...

I'm like Nick - I love great quotes but can never remember them when someone asks me what my favorite quote is :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you found your genre and groove as a writer!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Plotting is my favorite part. I think it's the closet-case control freak in me. I want everything my way!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I love that magic moment. I also love tea but I'm waiting on cooler weather before I indulge again.

Nick Wilford said...

Darla - Thanks!

Ellen - I know, it's annoying!

Alex - It's great to find a groove.

Elizabeth - I'm not a control freak. I usually go with the flow!

Diane - Tea is an all year round thing for me! It's hydrating, so it's actually very refreshing on a hot day.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on your book, Nick! The marketing of a book would be super hard for me too. I'm an introvert and even though I read advice from authors in my interviews all the time, it sounds very daunting.

krystal jane said...

I'm totally a collector of good quotes!

I like Radiohead. I like to think of them as people who aren't afraid of strong emotion. ^_^

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - congratulations on publishing your new book - you're doing so well and learning as you write - thank goodness for bloggers is all I can say ... so much experience to draw on. Good for you ... cheers Hilary

Heather R. Holden said...

Great interview! Love those magic moments, too--you phrased how they happen so well! I can also relate to how challenging promotion can be. (I always feel like I'm annoying people when I market my own work!) Best of luck with your latest release, Nick!

Stephanie Faris said...

I've started planning my books more, but I was more of a pantser like Nick until recently. I usually send my agent three chapters and a synopsis and she works with me to hone the synopsis, so I end up having to follow it. This time I broke it into chapters. It is making it a little easier to write...

Nick Wilford said...

Natalie - It's tough, but like you I'm trying to absorb knowledge from others all the time.

Krystal Jane - That's a good description of them!

Hilary - Very grateful for the blogging community!

Heather - Thanks! I'm trying not to be too annoying.

Stephanie - I might try the chapter writing approach some time...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I switch between coffee and tea. I love writing speculative fiction for the same reasons as Nick.