Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wandering and a Late Interview Link with #CarolinaReads

Inspired by Jen Chandler's posts on Wandering with Intent, I've decided to do some of my own purposeful wanderings and possibly post about them. If you don't know Jen, check out her blog and/or read her story "Mysteries of Death and Life" in Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life.

To preface this, I am not wandering far these days since although my official intense recovery time is over from my second surgery this year, the doctor told me that I could expect another six months of slow-going until I get to full recovery. I'm only walking up to 2 miles on a "big" day so the walks aren't super long or strenuous. These images are from Penrose State Park (Washington - on the Peninsula):

I love the doorway appeal of the branches arching over the end of the trail to the sea.



I didn't actually hike the trail the first time I went, but I did the second time. Either way, I find trails leading off into the woods a great inspiration for stories.


Here's another view of those arching tree branches, but from farther back.


I thought this shell looked like a hand in skeletal form. My daughter thought it looked like a skull. What do you think it looks like?


The reflection ... 


The crane kept teasing me and I tried to get a closer image by zooming in my phone camera - which is far from a great camera.


Looking down fencelines is interesting. I feel like there's a story in these lines that lead into a horizon. Plus, fencelines always seem to have some kind of story behind them. I wondered why this one was even there other than for decorative purposes because the park extends beyond it on both sides. I guess it is near the walking trail that leads to the shore and beyond it is a bit of shoreline with a 4-5 foot drop off to the shoreline. Maybe it's for decorative safety?

Reflections

The one bit of "hike" I did on my first walk. This literally ended just five feet further around the bend.
What do you think is around the bend?


I wanted to capture the young Pacific Madrone tree (with reddish bark) also called a Madrona tree by many in the area. The Pacific Madrone is declining so it's always nice to see a young one. (We have an older one in our yard.)

The birds had breakfast before I arrived. Many clam shells littered the gravel beach.

There is something about the edge where the land meets the sea that has always struck a chord in my imagination.



Have you wandered lately? Have you ever wandered with intent?
Get any story ideas from these images?

I admit, my main intent was to get outside, get fresh air, and see a different place.
I seem to need a jolt of fresh air to find creative inspiration.
Plus, in places like Penrose State Park, I can see the amazing wonder of God's creation and just feel blessed to be able to experience the outdoors. (And, it was easy - near where I was that day and with a parking lot near the shoreline. I was only there for forty minutes and it felt like my whole day was filled with beauty.)

And, I have a late link to an interview at #Carolinareads last week - somehow, I missed it even with it on my calendar so I feel like I have egg on my face. If you could stop by and give Terri some love, or go check out my post a week late, that would be awesome. Plus, she has an ongoing interview feature that I highly recommend checking out!

Tyrean reads .... #CarolinaReads hosted by Terri A. Wilson


And - I hope you all had a Blessed Memorial Day! Here's a tiny image-poem I wrote on that subject last year:
The wind rolls out our flag’s colors
then stills
red lines dripping down

Whenever I think of Memorial Day, I hear flags snapping in the wind and see rain clouds parted by sun because for many Memorial Days I visited my Grandpa's grave in the windy little town where I grew up. We didn't celebrate it "right" according to all the experts - my Grandpa was technically a veteran who joined the US Army to gain American citezenship. He became a sargeant in the calvary and then a tank mechanic during WWII. He lived a full life and did not die serving during war-time, but I (unlike those who are sticklers for the rules of all things) have always taken time to remember him and all those who have served on Memorial Day, even though I know it's meant only for those who have died overseas during active service. I think it's sad that legalists have decided to make Memorial Day unaccessible for all others. I remember when we used to meet at the cemetary for a service that included everyone - all the graves (even non-military ones) were covered in flowers - and the military service members didn't seem to mind that. What's happened that to make us so legalistic in all things?

11 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I like the "doorway" pic - it could go creepy or mysterious in a fun way. And I never really thought about fences like that before - interesting!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - glad you're getting that fresh air and space out beyond the four walls ... and that you're healing slowly -that's good. I honestly believe we should be able to join in ... seems strange ... bureaucracy.

Loved the photos - and yes there's lots to think about there ... cheers and take care - Hilary

CWMartin said...

I love your ideas on the fences. There is so much abandoned fencing in our woods, begging us to tell their story, unretrievable by my means. One even tripped me up once, falling flat on my face as it cried out, "Here I am, notice me!"

krystal jane said...

I love these pictures! I wish I could drive over there and walk around. It was would take me quite some time to get to the west coast. :) I'm happy to live vicariously through pictures though! The Pacific Madrone and those clam shells are just gorgeous. I also have a fascination with tree-lined pathways and trees that look like doorways. It does so much to the imagination, and it's just great to experience in general.

I never knew there was a right or wrong way to do Memorial Day. I guess the good thing about holidays is that we can do what we want on our own.

Heather R. Holden said...

Love the photos! So scenic and peaceful. Your interview was fun to read, too!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can feel the cool, crisp air of the Pacific Northwest just looking at your beautiful pictures. How can anyone doubt God created such a beautiful world?

Erika Beebe said...

I love your wanderings. Lovely pictures. I heard the whisper of ideas as I dove into each one. Memorial Day is important. We should always remember those who have done great things for our country and for our families :)

Misha Gericke said...

Wow the water is so clear in those pictures. I haven't gone wandering in some time.

The Happy Whisk said...

Two miles sounds pretty darn good. Even a quarter mile is darn good. Here's to healing. I know first hand, it can take a LONG time. Based on your energy though, I say, you got this.

Stephanie Faris said...

Even if you can't walk as far as you'd like, it sounds like the exercise is good for your healing. And you're enjoying nature along the way. I know that's good for you!

Arlee Bird said...

I haven't wandered physically much lately, but my mind is always wandering. I wouldn't mind wandering in that place shown in your photos. Looks like a great contemplative area.


Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out