Friday, May 26, 2017

Goals Update, Hero Lost, and Spoonman


It's sad, but I had to go back to the end of April to look for my May goals. Sheesh. It's kind of hard to actually do goals when I don't keep them in front of me. Thankfully, I started looking at them again on the 19th. 

So, here they are. Let's see how I did with them.

May Goals:
1. Continue to heal, rest, get renewed. - Yes, I did this. I had an interesting convo with my doctor who told me that I have a total of six months of healing to do to get to 100%. 

2. Market Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life Anthology - Yes.

3. Prepare for my oldest daughter's high school graduation. - Barely yes. There's still more to do. Thankfully, she's graduating twice - our homeschool co-op does a sweet ceremony (18 grads this year participating), and she'll graduate from the local community college with a diploma and an A.A. degree simultaneously on the 17th of June. 

4. Cheer at my youngest daughter's kayaking race in Canada - oops, no. My husband went and cheered while I stayed home to go to a series of events for a missionary who was visiting our church that weekend. This included a catch-up talk on using the Storytelling Method. 

5. Take care of a pile of paperwork that built up while I've been sick - some. It procreated at some point - I know it.

6. Plant something that likes wet roots - well, no. But, my mom did give me a gerarnium for mother's day and it's surviving in our raised garden bed.

7. Work on either Captain Wrath or The Greenling Chronicles and work out the weird world-building/dryad obsession issues. - Yes. I went with The Greenling Chronicles and thought out themes within the whole dryad idea. 

8. Go barefoot outside at least one day or stomp in puddles (weather permitting) - yes, although I just went barefoot on our deck.

9. Keep reading Cling to God - a great devotional by Lynda Young. - yes!

10. Finish reading Chapter from Chapter - the IWSG Goodreads book of the month. - yes. It's an excellent book on the writing craft and the writing life. 

June Goals: 
1. Heal, renew, walk, and take tiny bike rides. Specific walking goal: get to 2.5 miles a day 5 days a week by the end of the month. Specific bike goal: get to 3 miles a day 3 days a week by the end of the month. (And, take celebratory wandering walks!)

2. Continue to Market Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life and other works. Specifically, to use twitter, facebook groups, and google groups, and plan on attending one writing conference/event over the summer months.

3.  Watch my oldest graduate. Have a party! Celebrate!

4. Go to a Montana State University Registration and Orientation session with my oldest daughter.

5. Watch both daughters race at the Ted Houk Regatta in Seattle.

6. Clean up the yard and house. (as able)

7. Go barefoot.

8. Continue working on The Greenling Chronicles

9. Keep reading Cling to God.

10. Sort through job and teaching stuff. Prepare for next fall.

11. Practice Storytelling.

Eleven seems a bit hefty, but I'm hoping that 3, 4, 5, 8, and 9 are restful enough to make the others go easier. I can think of several other things I could/should be doing ... but I'm trying to stay focused and not over-do.


Do you have goals for June or for the summer?

Have you read Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life? I highly recommend all the stories by my fellow authors and I'm thankful for all the support we've received! 
Website
Amazon
Books-a-Million
Barnes and Noble
Kobo
iTunes

The Hero Lost Blog Tour is at these sites this week!
May 22 - Christine Rains - Interview 
May 22 - Nick Wilford - Guest Post  
May 24 - Toi Thomas - Interview

And, although it isn't related to goals, I want to simply say RIP Chris Cornell. I liked the sound of Soundgarden. My favorite song was "Spoonman," partly because I've seen the spoonman Artis play at Pike Place Market several times in Seattle and because my grandmother played spoons. She tried to teach me - especially after we watched Artis play spoons - but I didn't have the patience to learn. After Chris Cornell's death, I went on a bit of rabbit trail of reminiscing and ended up discovering that Artis (the spoonman) is still street busking. It feels like story material - all of this - but it's also some of the everyday pathos of life.


23 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you are resting and recovering as well as working on your goals. I'm wrapping up my last busy blogging month in June before I slow down for the summer when I start planning my blogging schedule for the beginning of 2018.

The Happy Whisk said...

Healing takes time and it's lovely to read that you're allowing for that.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Glad you are healing well. Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have a lot of goals lined up :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Six months? Don't set yourself back.
Barefoot on the back deck counts. Hopefully it wasn't hot.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Yeh for healing, rest and recovery! It sounds like you did awesome with everything, even if not everything got totally finished.

I'm closing in on Story A Day May, but after that, I'm not sure what I'll dive into next - maybe the pool :)

Good luck with your new goals!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love the barefoot goal - I might try that myself. I love the feeling on grass on my feet, and it's perfect weather for that kind of thing right now!

Good luck with the healing and recovery, slow and steady!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm delighted you are enjoying Cling to God. My husband and I read it every night before going to bed.

Mark Noce said...

I figure that if I forget my previous goals, they must not have been very crucial goals after all. The ones I remember have to get done though:)

Stephanie Faris said...

Go barefoot!!! That's my favorite. I rarely am barefoot. When I was 13 or 14, I was walking around my house and a needle had somehow fallen in the carpet. I stepped on it and it broke off and went up into my foot. I had to have it surgically removed. So you'll always see me in house shoes unless it's early in the morning and I'm stumbling to the coffee pot! But summertime is for flip flops, where winter is for socks and boot slippers.

Sarah Foster said...

I'm with you on #2. Now that the blog tour is over, I keep thinking, now what?? Need to do some more social media marketing. I keep meaning to look into conferences or even a book signing/event but that's slightly terrifying.
Good luck with all of your goals!

krystal jane said...

Awesome! I'm also attending a writing conference soon. You did really good on your goals though. Monthly goals are a good idea. I did yearly, and I've been thinking I need to switch over to at least bi-monthly, because it's easy to forget about stuff. Ha. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Glad the recovery is coming along. Sending the daughter off to college is fun and bittersweet.
Goals? Trying to get through this month.

Patricia Lynne said...

Good job on your goals and good luck with next month's. I usually have to go find my and refresh my memory.

CWMartin said...

I'd just like to say I have 7 and 11 covered for June, lol! And Cornell: I've said this before, but Superunknown is prolly the last cassette I wore out...

Heather R. Holden said...

Congrats on all your accomplishments this month! I'm impressed you were able to do this much while recuperating. Best of luck with all your June goals!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - so pleased you're healing ... slow is probably good and take those six months working at healing the best you can. Amazing what you're achieving ... then enjoy what you can of your daughter's events - congratulations to the university girl .. and the kayaking. Wonderful to be able to walk around outside barefoot enjoying the earth ... dry or wet ... just enjoy - cheers Hilary

Ruth Livingstone said...

Sounds like you are making steady progress. I like the way your goals are a mix of writing and health and family life. Small steps will get you there... best wishes for the coming month,

Misha Gericke said...

You did great!

I think you got a nice combination of more restful and challenging activities.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Great job with the goals you've met! Keep on healing, writing, and living. Bravo.

Looks like a great list of goals for June.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wow! - I didn't stop by to comment yesterday - too busy running around, so I'm a bit late, but thank you ALL for your encouraging comments!

JEN Garrett said...

You may be late to the game, but I'm later, lol. Anyway let me add my congrats. :)

Erika Beebe said...

It's hard to relax and rest. I am glad you made it a top priority. I love all your goals and congratulations to your family for all their lovely accomplishments :)

Murees Dupé said...

You are amazing, do you know that? You are doing great with your goals. You'll do even better in June. I don't like setting goals, but I know I should. It reminds me to actually get things done. I've been lazy. Wishing you and your family a fabulous June. Good-luck with the healing. Walking barefoot, a must;)