Friday, April 28, 2017

Goal Updates



For my April goals:
1. To get healed up from my two surgeries ... mostly I'm there. I still find stairs and inclines a bit daunting and potentially pain-producing. However, I can walk flat for quite a bit (1 mile or so) and do one staircase a day.

2. To help and encourage my daughter to make a great decision for college ... Yes.
Accepted at seven great universities, many of whom offered scholarships (merit and WUE), my daughter had a tough choice on her hands. We had a list of 27 features to consider that we filled out in spreadsheet form as she worked through one of the hardest decisions she's ever made.
She ultimately chose: Montana State University.

3. To get a bunch of writing done on my main WIP in April ... not so much. I stalled out again and I realized when trying to explain my dilemma to my family that I was really still not ready to go beyond the world-building/character vignette phase to the full novel phase for the MG to YA superhero Greenling Chronicles (book 1, title unknown). Plus, I was semi-entranced by two new novel ideas which I spent a few days working with in a playful fashion. Ultimately, I knew that I was  still thinking about the space opera/scifi for adults (content at least PG-13 for action violence and human trafficking) Captain Wrath. And, I realized I am using a similar world-building system between The Greenling Chronicles and Captain Wrath - which slightly disturbed me. Should I do that? What does it mean? And, why am I obsessed with dryads? If I use a similar system, do the books have to tie together - I hope not (definitely not meant for the same audience)! So, my brain jumbled around on my various WIP ideas, but the writing process went in bits and starts - 15 minutes to 45 minutes a session tops. I did write nearly a hundred pages in my journal with ideas, goals, character thoughts, and other things.

May Goals:
1. Continue to heal, rest, get renewed.
2. Market Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life Anthology.
3. Prepare for my oldest daughter's high school graduation.
4. Cheer at my youngest daughter's kayaking race in Canada.
5. Take care of a pile of paperwork that built up while I've been sick.
6. Plant something that likes wet roots. (We've had a record level of rain here - Seattle has had nearly 45 inches of rain. The rain forest on the Olympic Peninsula has had nearly 10 feet of rain. I live on the Peninsula - a bit closer to the rainforest than Seattle.)
7. Work on either Captain Wrath or The Greenling Chronicles and work out the weird world-building/dryad obsession issues. This may not mean a big word count, but I hope I get some plot paths straightened so I can start writing with more fervor in the summer. (I really should be writing about naiads and not dryads.)
8. Go barefoot outside at least one day or stomp in puddles (weather permitting).
9. Keep reading Cling to God - a great devotional by Lynda Young.
10. Finish reading Chapter from Chapter - the IWSG Goodreads book of the month.


How are your goals working our for April? 
Have any new goals for May?


Because I'm still working on marketing Hero Lost, I hope no one minds that I'm going to add a few links here. I'm super excited that the books came already and I've been reading the stories by the other authors. I'm truly humbled and honored to be included in this anthology, next to these amazing writers.

Hero Lost Website
Hero Lost Thunderclap - going May 2nd.
Book page at IWSG
Hero Lost at Dancing Lemur Press
Print:
EBook:

12 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

So glad to hear you're healing well! It sounds like you did good in April and are on a positive track for May. Onward we go! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Just don't rush the healing.

I think it's okay to use the same kind of world building but without tying them together. If they are for different audiences, readers will never know.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Madeline - Yes!

Diane - I'm trying not to rush the healing, although I really want to weed my garden and that's on the "naughty" list of activities I'm not supposed to do yet. Sigh.

Thanks for your thoughts on the world-building!

krystal jane said...

Glad the recovery is going well!

I see you're being attacked by plot bunnies. :) I finally just locked mine in a theme park. They go nuts in there, but they have something to do. I like to throw ideas in a boxing ring sometimes and let them duke it out because I really don't have a preference. The strongest idea will survive and the others will crawl back to the theme park to lick their wounds and get stronger. ^_^

Congratulations to both of your daughters! Exciting times.

Julie Flanders said...

So glad your recovery is going well. I hope you will be back to 100% soon. Awesome you can already walk a mile!
And how exciting for your daughter. It's such a great time in a young person's life. I hope she will be very happy with her choice.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Krystal - I would love to see these ideas box it out, but a few already scampered off to the side lines to wait it out for their next attack from the shadows.

Julie - Thanks! I hope so, too.

Stephanie Faris said...

Definitely take it easy while you're healing. But you're very productive for having had surgery recently! Congratulations to your daughter on making a college decision. She'll have so much fun!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - glad to see you are healing and taking it slowly - so the healing has time to heal too! Well done ... and with your daughter decided that's good. The writing will come ... and the day to day decisions will happen - just take care and improve. I'm finishing off A-Zing on British Rare Breeds - so rather involved! Still it's great to have the interaction ... all the best - cheers Hilary

Misha Gericke said...

Congrats to your daughter!

I'm glad to read you're on the mend. All the best for May. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what to do with your WiPs. :-)

Chrys Fey said...

Accepted at 7 universities? Your daughter is awesome!

I'm glad you're doing better after your surgeries. <3

Magic Love Crow said...

Lots of goals. You will do it and so will your daughter!
So happy you are doing better after your surgeries!
Big Hugs!

cleemckenzie said...

Here's a healed and healthy summer! You've got a lot of things to do.