Sunday, January 1, 2017

Have Goals? and #NewYearNewReads Blog Hops

This is a double hop post! Please scroll to the area of your interest! 


It's a new banner for a new year! Normally, we post on the last Friday of each month, but this time in honor of New Year's Day, we are all posting sometime during New Year's weekend. 
This hop is hosted by Misha and Beth!


My December goals were:
1. Christmas Cheer! - I was slow on this, but I got there. :)
2. Walk 50+ miles. - Hmm. I walked 40 miles.
3. Yoga x 20 days of the month. - Nope. I did Yoga with my youngest daughter for three 20 minute sessions. 
4. Write/Revise 25,000 words. - I wrote about 5,000 words, plus a Christmas letter that required four revisions.
December goals - 1/4.

Moving onto 2017! 

1. Attitude of Gratitude (Thanksgiving every day).

2. Writing between 10,000 and 25,000 words a month, depending on the month. 

3. Submit a short story, poem, or article twice a month.

4. Walking: 700+ miles for the entire year.

5. Back to Biking: 1500+ miles for the entire year.

6. Yoga: Each month, do 10-20 sessions of 20 minutes each.

7. Reading: keep new book consumption between 25-52 books for the year. I have a budget on time and money. (see #11)

8. Pursue storytelling.

9. Continue to teach writing.

10. Enjoy my family. 

11. Travel. 

12. Self-publish 2-3 simple writing prompt books (more on this subject in my end of January goals post - there's a reason).

13. Submit/Query Captain Wrath novel (needs better title) to a publisher/editor/agent.

14. Pay attention to marketing (sounds loose, but I have a small plan lurking behind this one). 

15. Finish home organization projects. (This ties in with #11 again)

Believe it or not, much of this list ties into #11. It's too much to explain in a dual-hop post, so I'll come back to it in February and March. I'm only posting 3-4 times a month next year.



Hosted by StoryDam and Patricia

If you have a new gift card, a new device, or just a new desire to download books for 99 cents, then New Year, New Reads is for you!

Nearly 20 authors from all genres have banded together to create 99 cent offers for their beloved readers!

Here's what I'm offering for 99 cents until mid-January. 
I'm not good about putting up and taking down price changes quickly, so you have a few weeks to take advantage of these bargains.


Like a bulb flickers, these stories and poems flicker to life for a moment, or a few pages. Some are vignettes, some are full stories, some are experimental, and some are traditional. It's an eclectic mix of over 90 short works, most of which I've had published previously (which is a way of saying that other readers/editors actually liked them enough to publish them).
  Kindle      Nook      Smashwords,     Kobo 




A year after she won the battle for Septily, Clara feels trapped in Skycliff by the Allied Council. As the last pieces of information about the Healing Caves fall into place, Clara is attacked by an assassin. Covert Drinaii mercenaries and the Council aren’t going to stop Clara from her quest to heal her broken blade. As Champion of Aramatir, she must act.

If you've already downloaded the first book for free (still available that way!), then you can pick up the second in The Champion Trilogy for a limited time for only 99 cents!

  Kindle     Smashwords    Nook       Kobo   

BRAND NEW DEBUT!
5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . Write!
25 Speculative Fiction Prompts within these pages will help new and old authors alike to fight the dark nemesis of the blank page. This book is broken into five sections for five different types of prompts: scenario, quote, question, book title, and simple. These prompts will help the writer defeat the blank page and write into new horizons!


For more deals, check out Story Dam and Patricia Lynne's blog
(I tried to add the linky list, but failed. Please, please, check out these links and all of the other awesome authors in this hop!)

Happy New Year!!! 

19 comments:

Patricia Lynne said...

Happy New Year.
Good luck with your goals this year. I have made a few myself and will be blogging about it Monday.
Lastly, thanks for joining the hop.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Patricia!!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Happy New Year, Tyrean! You've got some great goals and love all your healthy living ones too!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Natalie!

Tui Snider said...


That's an impressive list of goals. I need to get mine organized...

I've just popped over to Amazon to buy your book. I look forward to digging into it. I love short story collections. Thanks for being part of #StoryDam's blog hop! :D

~Tui via TuiSnider.com

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, you have an ambitious year ahead of you. Best of luck with all your goals!

And I absolutely love the sound of your latest release, Tyrean. Writing prompts never fail to be so fun and helpful!

krystal jane said...

Happy 2017! Best wishes on everything!! I'm also wanting to add yoga to my schedule. I don't think Captain Wrath is all that bad of a title though. :)

Ruth Livingstone said...

Good luck with your goals Tyrean. I like the Idea of regularly submitting short stories regularly, and that is something I'm trying to do this year too. Intrigued by your writing prompts project. Does that sort of thing sell well?

M.J. Fifield said...

Wow! That's an impressive list of goals. Kind of makes me feel like a slacker. ;)

Best of luck to you in the New Year! Happy Writing!

cleemckenzie said...

Setting those goals down is almost half the job, Tyrean, and you did a spectacular job of that. I'm sure you'll follow through because that's the kind of person you are.

Have a wonderful and successful 2017.

John and Tyrean Martinson said...

Tui - Wow! Thank you!

Heather - Thanks you! I try to make them that way.

Krystal - Thank you for the encouragement! I'm just adding little bits of yoga pieces that I know and taking it slowly.

Ruth - Thank you! I have found that submitting work often helps keep it moving - sometimes that means I get five rejection letters in one day after three months of waiting, and sometimes I get an acceptance letter. I have found that writing prompts sell more steadily than my fiction in e-book format, but writing prompt books don't seem to sell well for me in person at book fairs. I'm not sure why, but that's been my findings so far.

MJ - Are you kidding? I write books that have a tendency to fall in the 5,000-75,000 word range, and you write epics that fall in the 150,000 word range. I don't think you're a slacker. You are an epic world-builder.

C. Lee - Thank you!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Oops - I commented from my family e-mail account settings.

mshatch said...

Woa, you got way more more goals than me!!! I feel like a slacker. Regardless, good luck to both of us in 2017 :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Happy New Year. The .99 sale is a great idea. I read much more last year than I intended. There were just so many good books. Good luck with all those goals.

Misha Gericke said...

Great goals! I hope you have a great time on your travels. :-)

I hope God blesses you and your family this year.

Stephanie Faris said...

Great goals!!! I have a Fitbit and shoot for 10,000 steps a day when I'm really working at it. I'm not sure how many miles that would add up to in a year, though.

Olga Godim said...

Hi, Tyrean. Good luck with your goals. They are pretty ambitious. I really like ## 10 and 11. Should add them to mine. Happy New Year!

alexia said...

Happy New Year! What a great list of goals for 2017!

J Lenni Dorner said...

Those are some great goals! Have fun reading, writing, and staying fit. I hope you get more than 25% (yikes... darn December!). I believe in you.