Friday, January 27, 2017

Do You Have Goals? January 2017 Highs and Lows . . .



This is a wonderful hop full of awesome people who are keeping track of their dream goals!
Hosted by Misha!

1. Attitude of Gratitude (Thanksgiving every day). Decided to change this one to:
Attitude of Love! (Working on it.) I had some accountable, measurable goals for this month, and I didn't really do them, unless we count praying when I'm actually irritable.

2. Writing between 10,000 and 25,000 words a month, depending on the month. 
I'm at around 7,000 words. I felt excited and then I fizzled. Stress happened.

3. Submit a short story, poem, or article twice a month.
Eek! No, Well, maybe . . . if you count a certain article for a joint blog with the 2017 IWSG Anthology authors for our upcoming website.

4. Walking: 700+ miles for the entire year.
This started awesome! I walked 27 miles in the first two weeks of the month! Then, I got sick.

5. Back to Biking: 1500+ miles for the entire year.
Started slow but built up momentum and had 25 miles biked on an indoor bike when I got sick.

6. Yoga: Each month, do 10-20 sessions of 20 minutes each.
Hahahaha. Nope. I did 2 sessions of 20 minutes with my youngest daughter who is in a yoga class.

7. Reading: keep new book consumption between 25-52 books for the year. I have a budget on time and money. (see #11)
Well, I read library books, then I re-read Freefall and Unreal Encounters. I spent some money on e-books. 

8. Pursue storytelling.
Yes - I started a Biblical storytelling group at my church and went to the first meeting. They've met twice without me now, because (you know why, right) I'm sick.

9. Continue to teach writing.
Um, well, Yes, and No. I taught twice and then got sick.

10. Enjoy my family. 
Yes and no.
Good- My husband celebrated his 50th birthday! We had lots of friends over.
Not - Homework (for 2 daughters) and work-work load (for my hubs) have been heavy.
Good - My oldest turned 18! She celebrated quietly - but her friends made some plans for her.
Not so good- I was too sick to really prepare much of a celebration for my daughter.


11. Travel. 
This is an ongoing goal. I am looking at making flight reservations for the United States Nationals for Canoe and Kayak in Florida (in August). 

12. Self-publish 2-3 simple writing prompt books 
For a while, I had numbers that seemed to show that I've marketed myself as a writing author who writes about writing. (That's definitely true here.) My writing prompt books sell steadily, so I'm considering two more "lengthy" writing prompts books this year.

13. Submit/Query Captain Wrath novel (needs better title) to a publisher/editor/agent.
Not ready yet.

14. Pay attention to marketing 
Um, didn't happen other than my monthly check-in.

15. Finish home organization projects.
Definitely didn't happen. 

So, the sick thing really hit me hard this month. I have multiple issues going on with my upper digestive tract (stomach and esophagus) and some gallbladder issues that I hope will be resolved soon. It's going terribly slow - or at least it seems like it since I'm in pain, exhausted, nauseous, and I've had to give up caffeine. Really, I mean to find out that I'm really, really sick is one thing, but to take away the caffeine - it's cruel and unusual punishment. I'm mainly joking about this, trying to keep a good sense of humor desite having some super-stressed days about all of it.

My goal for February is to regain health.

On the good/awesome news side of things (because there is always good news), the IWSG Anthology group of authors for 2017 is awesome! We are working on a website - well, someone more talented is, I'm just writing a few small bits. One of my hint fiction stories was featured in The Best of 2016 at Nail Polish Stories, and I got paid some gratuities for my novella, Eight if By Sea - more than I expected, that's why I mention it. All good things. 

Do you have goals?
Sign up here:


17 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

So glad you had some truly awesome things to celebrate to counteract the sickness. Congrats again on the IWSG inclusion and way to go on the novella! Can't beat better than expected gratuities!
I hope you are feeling much better very soon!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Hope you feel better in February. Not feeling good can really mess up your life and goals. You've got great goals, but don't feel bad if you don't meet them all. There are a lot of them. Even on your exercise routine, if you meet some of the goals it would be great.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Focusing on your health is the most important goal of all! Take care of yourself and just do what you can with everything else. Sending good thoughts your way....

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Be sure and take getting sick off your list for next month.
Cool you started that group at church.
Keep after it!

M.J. Fifield said...

I find I always start off the year slowly on my walking/biking goals, but then pick up steam as the year progresses. It's so much harder when there's an extended illness in the picture, too.

Hope February is kinder to you, and that you're feeling better soon!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Oh geesh. I forgot about this being the end of the month. I need to adjust my blog post!!

You do need to take care of yourself. I am amazed at how much you get done. I'm tired just reading the list.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you, everyone!

Mark Noce said...

Wow, those are some truly amazing accomplishments! I also hope healthy days lie ahead as well. I don't think I've been half as productive:)

Mori Lii said...

I've been sick this past week as well. :/ It sucks, but I hope you feel better soon!
Best of wishes for all of your goals! I'm sure you'll accomplish them. :)
Last year, I had intentions of going to a workout class for 30 days (it was called a Barre Workout) and I only went for three days. I felt like such a failure for not continuing for the rest of that month, lol. Barre Workout is no joke! It's a very intense workout.


Btw, I'm Brittney and one of the new Co-Host for this blog hop with Misha! I look forward to reading your future updates!

Patricia Lynne said...

I hope you get over you sickness and can go back to kicking your goals.

krystal jane said...

Really hope your recovery is going well! I got off caffeine cold turkey once. It was a rough several days, but I lived. Lol! Congratulations on the royalties and hint fiction story!! I still think Captain Wrath is pretty cool, but I totally understand title woes.

Have a great weekend! Rest up!

ruthlivingstone.net said...

Your goals are always challenging, and then to get sick... not fair! Hope you recover soon. I agree, giving up caffeine is a cruel punishment. Still, you managed to achieve some writing and saw a little bit of reward come rolling in.
Here's hoping you return to full health soon. Best wishes.

cleemckenzie said...

I hate being sick and I'm sure you do, too. Here's to getting past that illness and moving forward with these splendid goals.

Cathrina Constantine said...

When sickness strikes, everything gets waylaid. I hope you're feeling better and will be able to tackle all those goals!!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If the writing prompt books are selling, producing more is a great idea.

Misha Gericke said...

I'm sorry you've been feeling sick. I hope you keep getting better now.

Good luck with February's goals!

Stephanie Faris said...

I know how it feels, starting the year off with good intentions and having life get in the way. I kicked off 2017 with a new diet/workout routine but found myself sick the first week of the year!!! Luckily I got better and was able to get right back on track.