Friday, April 24, 2015

A to Z: U Celebrations, Celebrate the Small Things, and Do You Have Goals?!

A to Z is here! We're almost to the finish line! Keep up the good work!

I'm part of the Muffin Commando Squad! C. Lee Mckenzie (leader extraordinaire), Carrie ButlerYvonne VentrescaDonna McDinePatricia LynneTara Tyler, andTammy Theriault.

IMy theme is celebrations! All month long, I'll be celebrating authors and bloggers who have inspired me with their determination, spunk, and style. At the end of the month, I'll have a blogaversary celebration with giveaways . . . 

Today, I'm celebrating:


Unicorn Bell is an excellent place to find writing, publishing, and marketing tips along with author interviews, and sometimes writing contests. Seven amazing authors keep Unicorn Bell alive and going, and I highly recommend checking out this site for every writer!



Untethered Realms is a site for writers of speculative fiction and for geeks who just love speculative fiction. It's a great place to hang out, read some interesting posts on spec fic fandom and ideas, and get to know thirteen excellent speculative fiction authors. 



1. My oldest daughter (always busy) had her first professional (paid) modeling job last weekend. She worked as a hair model at a hair stylist convention - and it included 10-12 hour days of having her hair styled on-stage in various up-dos that would make Princess Leia and Padme envious.

2. Today I have a live interview podcast at Speculative Fiction Cantina! Come join the conversation at:
Central: 5:00 P.M.5:00 P.M.
Mountain: 4:00 P.M.:00 P.M.
Pacific: 3:00 P.M.

3. I have goals. :)



Do You Have Goals? is a blog hop that encourages wild, crazy dream goals!

1. Writing and Write 1 Sub 1: Subbed six new stories to SpeckLit - if you go there, read their submission process carefully. :) Champion's Destiny has been limping along in content revision without much progress. :(

2. Publishing/Marketing:  No new stories published this month. 
Had to miss the "all local authors" poetry reading last weekend due to a crazy busy family weekend (we were going four different directions and I decided to be the one that gave up "my" thing to make things work - I also had a huge acne outbreak from eating something I shouldn't and was a bit embarrassed to be seen by anyone I knew - so much better to hang out in a different city).
 Speculative Fiction Cantina interview today! 
And, I'm signing books at a local bookstore tomorrow. 
Whew. 

3. Invitational Attitude: Um. Well, I invited a few people to Gig Harbor Paddle Cup, and I . . . well, I'm not sure what else I did.

4. Spiritual: Prayer, some Bible Study, might finish Leap Over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Every Day Christians some time soon - I've been enjoying it too much to rush it.

5. Exercise/Health: Back to walking and riding the exercise bike, but not enough. Bad habits have formed and must be changed. 

What or who are you celebrating today?

Please join me for the Speculative Fiction Cantina

And, until then . . . if you would like to watch the Junior and Senior (not Master class) Time Trials for Sprint Canoe and Kayaking, go to this link! It's happening live today in Oklahoma City, and the kids with the yellow jerseys are from my daughters' team! 

34 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations to your daughter!
Good luck with those stories you submitted.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Alex!

L.G. Keltner said...

That's so exciting for your daughter! I know I could never do hair modelling. My hair is just too contrary to do anything elaborate. Or simple, for that matter.

Lexa Cain said...

Congrats on the interview, and YAY for your daughter's modeling job! Any progress you've made on your goals is worth celebrating. Congrats on doing so well with the A-Z, and have a great weekend! :)

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! Thank you so much for mentioning Untethered Realms today!

That's awesome about your daughter's professional modeling gig.

jaybird said...

How awesome for your daughter!! Once, I modeled my "do" at a hair show. It was for a friend of mine who's a beautician and desperately needed a hair model. It's no easy task to sit still for all of those hours while someone works on your head, I know from experience. My congrats to your daughter. And I wish her the best of luck with the modeling in the future too!!

I share some of your goals! I really need to get walking again and I am praying I am well enough to start doing that. Currently I'm involved in the bible study "Experiencing God" and I'm enjoying it very much. We have the same group of women that meet throughout the year, but the book/study always changes. I don't know what I'd do without my bible study sisters! They are such a blessing to me. And as far as my writing goes, I am kind of in a holding pattern. There are a lot of projects in the works, I'm just not sure which one I really want to pursue and pour myself into. I'm praying on that too...

I would try and check back later on for that interview- but I will be getting my youngest ready for her Girl Scout Daddy-daughter dance around that time. It's a big deal in my house for the pair of them.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Well . . . they put about five tons of product in her hair before and during the hair styling process. Her hair normally doesn't do that much - but the hair dressers loved the thickness and made it work.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Lexa!! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Cherie!

Tyrean Martinson said...

My daughter said it was a pretty hard job to sit still and not touch her hair at all while they worked on it. Thanks for your well-wishes!

Its tough to keep the projects and goals going, isn't it? But I know you can do it! :) I'll pray for you.

And yay for Daddy-Daughter dances and Girl Scouts! That's awesome! If you can't stop by, I totally get that. :)

Patricia Lynne said...

Congrats to your daughter and good luck to her.

~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
Story Dam
Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

Maurice Mitchell said...

Congrats on the "small" thing including your daughters first professional modeling job!

cleemckenzie said...

Your daughter sounds like she's having a great time. You must be so proud of her. Congrats on those stories. Keep your keyboard hot, Tyrean.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks! That one was kind of huge! Well, really huge considering that it's her first ever paid modeling job. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

I am proud of her. She takes time to think about what she's doing and then she leaps into life!

And, I love that phrase "keep your keyboard hot" - I'll try. :)

Gail Park said...

"I have goals...do you have goals?" Reminds of of The Happy Hocky Family...are you a Lane Smith reader by any chance? I just read a book called Change Anything by Kerry Patterson, et al. which is FABULOUS help with accomplishing your goals. Highly recommend. (At your local library...)

Dixie@dcrelief said...

You have overwhelmed me - what a day of celebrations for you and the family! I want to hop over and watch the time trials. Write on!!

Emma Adams said...

Congratulations to your daughter and great job on the submissions! Have fun at the signing! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks for the book recommend, Gail! Have a great weekend!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Dixie! The Time Trials kids aren't my kids, but some of them are friends with my kids . . . so I'm cheering them on from home . . . just got to see a couple of boy canoeists from our team take second in a C2 boat, which was cool!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Emma!

Jay Noel said...

Big fan of Untethered Realms! Lots of talented authors there.

Congrats to your oldest daughter. That is really cool!

Darla M Sands said...

I'm terrible at setting goals for some reason. Right now, just winning the Camp NaNoWriMo challenge alongside doing this blog challenge are making me very happy, however. I guess one goal is to write every single day. ~grin~ It's definitely good for my mental health.

Thanks for stopping by my blog at http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/ which is number 1209 on the A to Z challenge list today.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Jay!

Tyrean Martinson said...

It sounds like you're doing a great job setting and keeping goals with NaNo and A to Z!

J Lenni Dorner said...

It looks like some good celebrating!
A to Z takes up a big chunk of time this month. But it's so worth it.

Jack said...

I should look into Unicorn Bell! Sounds like they might be able to offer the kind of help I need right now

M.R. R. said...

Congrats and good luck to your daughter.

Nick Wilford said...

You did a lot! Congrats to your daughter on the modelling and I hope the time trials went well too. You highlighted two excellent sites.

Misha Gericke said...

I'm part of both Unicorn Bell and Untethered Realms. Love working with the wonderful and talented writers there. :-)

Good progress on those goals of yours.

Ruff Talk said...

The Little Things are always worth celebrating - the add up to one big happy life! Good luck with the rest of your A to Z Challenge.

lorilmaclaughlin.com said...

Congrats to your daughter on her modeling and to you on getting all those stories submitted! I hope your book signing went well!

TheCyborgMom said...

Congrats to your daughter! And yay for the podcast!
Katie @TheCyborgMom