Friday, April 17, 2015

A to Z: O Celebrations And Celebrate the Small Things

A to Z is here! For more info - click that link!

I'm part of the Muffin Commando Squad! C. Lee Mckenzie (leader extraordinaire), Carrie ButlerYvonne VentrescaDonna McDinePatricia LynneTara Tyler, andTammy Theriault.

IMy theme is celebrations! All month long, I'll be celebrating authors and bloggers who have inspired me with their determination, spunk, and style. At the end of the month, I'll have a blogaversary celebration with giveaways . . . 

Today, I'm celebrating:


Tossing it Out – I know I'm stretching the "O" with this one . . . but I knew I wanted to highlight Arlee Bird, founder of A to Z, but I also knew I wanted to spring a celebration of him somewhere mid-challenge. 

Arlee may have been the first person to ever comment on my blog. This was before I even knew how to comment, follow, or visit in return.

Arlee, if you didn't know this already, runs four blogs and is the founder of the A to Z Challenge.

Arlee's posts are helpful, encouraging, thought-provoking, fun, and kind.

I think of Arlee as the "Master" Blogger - he's THE expert. If you don't know how to blog or what to blog about, check out: Tossing it Out, A Faraway View, Wrote by Rote, or A Few Words to see how it's done.


Celebrate the Small Things:

1. Tomorrow, I'm participating in a local author poetry reading at Mostly Books, a local bookstore. 

2. Next week, I have a podcast interview coming up at the Speculative Fiction Cantina - I'm excited and terrified. Please come join me next Friday. :)

3. Paddle Cup 2015! My daughters brought home a bunch of ribbons, ranging from first to third place in various events. And, my hubs and I were late "add-ons" to a Dragonboat team . . . and we brought home third place shiny medals. :)

A high kneel canoe team - this is a casual race, so a team of 5 was okay. Usually, it's a team of four.

Start of the 10k race - mass start of high kneel canoes, kayaks, and stand-up paddle-boards.



High Kneel Canoe - 200m race, novice class . . . my oldest took third. 



The 200m bantam kayak race - my youngest fought to win, but took 2nd. However, she brought home first in the 10k and in the 100m for bantam women's kayak.



Just love the sparkle on the water in this warm-up picture - and my oldest daughter says her form is "okay" in this picture - technically, her "top arm should be straight."


This is an out-rigger canoe. Para-athletes either use these or kayaks to compete in the para-athlete division. The young man here is a para-athlete who is going to time trials in a few weeks to earn (and probably get) a spot on the USA team to represent us at Worlds.


Start of one of the 100m knock-off races.

Dragon-boat Race! 
My daughter got to be the drummer in the front boat in this race with a bunch of soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McCord. :)

My hubs and I competed in the boat that took third. :)

Now, in case you think I'm completely spoiled rotten here in the Pacific Northwest on the Puget Sound . . .well, you're probably right, but . . . the water was around 48 degrees Fahrenheit both days, and the land temperature was between 55 and 62 Fahrenheit. We were wearing double and triple layers both days, except when racing - then we got down to just one. Most of the athletes who work out in Gig Harbor wear neoprene or other special "warm" materials for canoeing and kayaking - unless it's near the end of July or the beginning of August.

18 comments:

Lexa Cain said...

What a lot of great stuff to celebrate this week! Good luck with the poetry reading and the podcast interview. The pics are AMAZING! It's gorgeous there and I love all the colors. How awesome to be a drummer on a Dragon Boat!! Woohoo! Thanks for sharing these - I love them. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You got some great pictures! Congratulations to your daughters on all those ribbons.
Lee was one of my very first followers. Way back when...
And let us know when we can listen to the podcast.

Tanya Miranda said...

Very Cool Tyrean! Love the shots where the sun shines in the water. Third is nothing to scoff at for late add-ons. Congrats!

Sharon Marie Himsl said...

"Kind" is the word I would use to describe Arlee too. Love those canoes!!!
Inventions by Women A-Z
Shells–Tales–Sails

TheCyborgMom said...

Ribbons and medals...yay!!! Congrats! Arlee is pretty awesome...for him to have brought about the A to Z...and have it be as big as it is, is such an accomplishment.
Katie @TheCyborgMom

SHANAYA TALES said...

Wonderful pics. Many congratulations to your daughters. :)
*Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

Suzanne Furness said...

Some great celebrations Tyrean. Congrats to your daughters, you got some great pictures.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks so much, Lexa!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Cool! Thanks, Alex. I'll probably put an update/link on the bottom of my posts all next week.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Tanya! :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Arlee is a great guy. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, he has really made an impact on the blogging world. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks! These were the "best" ones - weeded out of over a 100 . . .

Dixie@dcrelief said...

If you ever quit your day job, Tyrean, you could be a photographer. Such action packed photos! By all means, let us know about the podcast date. Have fun reading tomorrow.

Super love to Arlee Bird!!!

M.R. R. said...

Congrats on getting medals and the interview, and good luck with tomorrow.

lorilmaclaughlin.com said...

Congrats on all the awards! That's so impressive. With a high kneel like that, I'd probably tip myself out of the boat. It's nice that you have such terrific photos to commemorate the event. Good luck with the poetry reading and the podcast!
Arlee Bird is a great person to celebrate!

Trisha F said...

Arlee is a great blogger and blogging community friend, that's for sure! His blog is great to read.